Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Moving forward on public land

Oneye

Well with what seemed like one of the longest, most brutal election seasons there has been it is finally over. We now have a republican house, republican senate, and republican president. The anti-public land advocates in Utah (Bishop, Herbert, Stewart, Chaffetz, etc.) were elected back again, and I would think that everyone be ready to fight because the next 4 years could very well begin the unraveling of public lands in our nation. The only thing we can hope is that Trump Jr. and Trump himself are true to their words on taking care of public lands and never transferring any of it. I hope it is true Trump Jr. truly looks at Theodore Roosevelt as an icon to help his farther throughout his 4 next years in the White House. It is now on sportsmen and all public lands users shoulders to kill this transfer by contacting your representatives, signing petitions, belonging to organizations that fight for public lands, and doing what we can to educate and help the cause of keeping public lands, public. Trump is now my president and all of ours, and I hope that his time in the White House goes well and he truly protects our public lands. It is also vital as sportsmen we fight for clean water, air, and wise and sustainable uses and management of our public lands. It's not exactly the position I was hoping we would be in because like it or not, a completely republican ran government isn't going to mean anything good for our public lands unless the guy at the top of the ticket keeps his words from January. I think as a sportsmen a bit of gratitude is deserved to President Obama who has protected millions of acres and will probably protect more in the closing days of his presidency. Although I didn't agree with many of the things he did or all his policies Obama was a good president and I thank him for what he did for our nation and for sportsmen while he was in office. Keep up the good fight everyone, keeping public lands public is vital to the future of so many things.

I tend to think Trump Jr is irrelevant to where this goes from here. We'll know Trumps intentions soon enough though when he names his interior secretary. In the end, Paul Ryan holds the most cards. He's a hunter but I tend to think of him as a "back 40" kinda guy, not somewhere who ever sets foot on public land. I could be wrong though.

I tend to think Trump Jr is irrelevant to where this goes from here. We'll know Trumps intentions soon enough though when he names his interior secretary. In the end, Paul Ryan holds the most cards. He's a hunter but I tend to think of him as a "back 40" kinda guy, not somewhere who ever sets foot on public land. I could be wrong though.

Well from what I've read on Ryan, if he is the guy that will influence Trump the most, don't expect a veto to any transfer bills. The last place I wanted my public lands was in the GOP's pocket, and now that's right where they are.

We'll know Trumps intentions soon enough though when he names his interior secretary.

From today's "Greenwire:"

"Interior

A broad range of Westerners and public lands insiders are rumored to be in the running to lead the Interior Department. Former George W. Bush administration Interior official David Bernhardt is leading Trump's Interior transition team.

Idaho Republican Gov. Butch Otter is one possibility for the job. The former Idaho congressman told E&E News in September that he would "be proud to serve in a Trump administration."

Other Western Republican governors floated as possible picks include Wyoming's Matt Mead, South Dakota's Dennis Daugaard and New Mexico's Susana Martinez.

Current and former Republican members of Congress who might be picked include Rep. Rob Bishop of Utah, chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee; Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan of Alaska; Oklahoma Sen. Jim Inhofe; Rep. Don Young of Alaska; retiring Wyoming Rep. Cynthia Lummis; and Idaho Sens. Mike Crapo and James Risch.

Other names floated include Tony Clark, a Republican commissioner on the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission who was previously chairman of the North Dakota Public Service Commission, and Pruitt, the attorney general of Oklahoma."

Some bad names on that list for public land sportsmen. A few awful ones. Not much silver lining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_proposed_National_Monuments_of_the_United_States

What's the word on monument designations in the next couple months? Which ones of these are going to get some ink? Some (all?) of these would surely antagonize the Bundys and Bishops, but at this point, does that even matter??

My guess is, Obama will designate most of them.....we may need all of them designated with what may be ahead of us if Trumps projected choices for his cabinet become reality. LET ME BE CLEAR. If Trump chooses Rob Bishop for anything it will tell you all you need to know and it's time to kiss public lands goodbye

Just contacted my state rep. through your signature link. Apparently the staffer who responded didn't know much about the land transfer issue. I responded and explained my concerns. Hopefully here in ND they will begin to see some of our concerns.

I talked to the public relations glad for our DNR trust lands here in Washington (state) a few weeks back. She's never heard of any effort to transfer federal land. Either her head is in the sand or... well I'm not actually sure what else it could be.

I'm very much pro public land, but I sincerely hope there is no 11th hour monument designation spree. The local communities have in many cases been very clear that they are not supportive of the designations, and any such move really hamstrings local land managers trying to forge relationships and partnerships in those communities. Plus the agencies that are then required to manage all these are already severely underfunded. It is totally counterproductive, and will do nothing but fan the flames of the land transfer issue.

There has to be some restraint on both sides for progress to be made. Wild knee jerk reactions by politicians in both sides after every election make it nearly impossible to get anywhere.

As a 61 yr old American I am very concerned.
I hope Obummer does designate the monuments on the board,all of them.It will be the last time this option will be available and the land is already Public Lands.
I see only evil people being put in the Don's cabinet and the gears for the Great Land Sale are turning already.
As a Vet I see what I fought for given away to the elite and the cause tainted by the greedy.

I will never recognize any of these sales or transfers personally.If you put a sign or a gate or fence on my public land I will remove or ignore it. As a former LEO I will be the lawbreaker now. And I go no where unarmed anymore.
Bring It!

From today's "Greenwire:"

"Interior

A broad range of Westerners and public lands insiders are rumored to be in the running to lead the Interior Department. Former George W. Bush administration Interior official David Bernhardt is leading Trump's Interior transition team.

Idaho Republican Gov. Butch Otter is one possibility for the job. The former Idaho congressman told E&E News in September that he would "be proud to serve in a Trump administration."

Other Western Republican governors floated as possible picks include Wyoming's Matt Mead, South Dakota's Dennis Daugaard and New Mexico's Susana Martinez.

Current and former Republican members of Congress who might be picked include Rep. Rob Bishop of Utah, chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee; Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan of Alaska; Oklahoma Sen. Jim Inhofe; Rep. Don Young of Alaska; retiring Wyoming Rep. Cynthia Lummis; and Idaho Sens. Mike Crapo and James Risch.

Other names floated include Tony Clark, a Republican commissioner on the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission who was previously chairman of the North Dakota Public Service Commission, and Pruitt, the attorney general of Oklahoma."

Some bad names on that list for public land sportsmen. A few awful ones. Not much silver lining.

Mead would be the worst possible choice, he's pro AG/Oil/Coal and Oil. He's all for a land transfer and he's a lousy Governor.

jeremiah+johnson+gif.gif

Matt Mead wouldn't be bad.

Last edited:
I don't think Trumps son can have the Interior slot as I don't think the president can appoint a relation of his to this position.

Now is the time more than ever for sportsman to start being advocates for public lands. Start contacting Trump and your representatives today and tell them the importance of public lands. Urge Trump to appoint someone who is a sportsman and represents conservation and public access values as the Secretary of the Interior. Ask your Senators to support public lands. The Republican majority in the Senate is slim. We only need to change a few minds to stand with sportsman and go against the party majority

BHA had a good press release today.

Yes, they did. Here's a quote from the release that gives me some hope. The republicans have a very small majority in the senate. All we need is a few willing to break from the pack. It doesn't mention by name who these "courageous" individuals were, but we need to be encouraging and thanking them.

“A party that calls for the sale/transfer of public lands in its platform now has control of the House, Senate and presidency. We are encouraged that President Elect Trump, along with some courageous House and Senate Republicans, have broken from their party on this issue. We look forward to their continued rejection of the privatization of public lands and instead tackling other pressing issues such as wildfire management and declining budgets that face our public lands.”

I'm very much pro public land, but I sincerely hope there is no 11th hour monument designation spree. The local communities have in many cases been very clear that they are not supportive of the designations, and any such move really hamstrings local land managers trying to forge relationships and partnerships in those communities. Plus the agencies that are then required to manage all these are already severely underfunded. It is totally counterproductive, and will do nothing but fan the flames of the land transfer issue.

There has to be some restraint on both sides for progress to be made. Wild knee jerk reactions by politicians in both sides after every election make it nearly impossible to get anywhere.

I think you are spot on. A in your face move by Obama is likely to be countered by a equally one sided move by the people soon to be in power. Turning public lands into a Dem Vs Rep issue is a sure way to a bad ending. The only way it works is if the pro public land side wins every election This election is making it clear that in not going to happen.

Last edited:
Matt Mead wouldn't be bad. The other name being reported is Sarah Palin.

IMO Sarah Palin is the poster woman for (beauty is only skin deep), she's uglier and stupider than hell on the inside and would be a horrific choice!. Wouldn't it be sweet if we just didn't put these bastard public land haters in office in the first place? We can disagree on a lot of things but we should all know who our enemies are, and it's our obligation to not vote for the dumb asses, simple as that. I hope that's the case but I have my doubts, they keep getting elected, again and again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back