Caribou Gear Tarp

Mountain quail???

1_pointer

Anyone hunted/harvested some of these recently???? A pard of mine and me are wanting to chase some of these this winter. Any suggestions??? If we can't get this figured out we'll probably head to AZ for quail or NV for quail.

I've picked up a half dozen or so of them in Northern Nevada the last couple years. All were taken while hunting for chukar.

Here is a pic of a young male. They are some cool little birds. The most noticeable thing upon a flush is they fly straight uphill, while chukar and Ca quail usually fly side hill or down.

I probably should of had a pair of them taxidermied.

I only found them in the one mountain range near Reno. They are very habitat sensitive.

Nevada's bird season is projected to be good again. If you're looking for chukar/quail along with some really good dog calling, Northern Nevada or southern Idaho is tough to beat.

mtnquail.sized.jpg

When I was a kid I visited relitives who lived in the San Bernardino Mtns in So cal. We went Mtn quail hunting and actually got some, I also wish I would of had them mounted.

I've bagged a few of them. Two near Lockwood Valley, west of Frazier Park, and several in the higher hills around Parkfield. They're bigger than Valley Quail, but taste just as good. In my experience, their coveys are smaller.

Thanks for the info! Tbone I may be in touch, because of we don't head to AZ in Jan we're probably gonna try to chase every chukar from Elko to Reno! :D

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ca_centralcoast_hunter
Back