Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mountain Home check station PICTURES!

Ron, I'm not upset with you because I know your only reporting what you were told, I have a beef with the guy that told you this crap, and yes when we have someone thats working for the F&G telling people that hounds are the cause of this because as you quote "they bust them up"....it does give houndsmen a black eye to the general public that don't know jack chitt. A F&G employee giving theorys hes pulled out of his arse to uniformed people of the public is not good PR for the houndsman. You say your conversation was just between 2 guys ....well you have already taken it to the internet when someone questioned you about the cub....I would say your a pretty good spokes model for this moron.

I've been running bears with dogs since I was 8 or so, and have learned an awful lot about it over the years. I agree with Gato and the other hound guys that they dont just get "split up".

I dont know how many sows and cubs we've treed over the last 25 years, but its been a good number. Majority of time the sow is in the same tree or a tree within site. There has been a time or two when the sow hasn't treed, but she will NOT leave the area, just run and fight the dogs on the ground within a 1/4 mile of the tree. We'll have 3-10 dogs out, and a few of them will be sitting under the cub tree, treeing, the others will be baying the sow. Its very obvious.

Yeah, its possible that one time or another the dogs stayed on the sow after the cub/s treed and they got separated by miles, and maybe the sow got shot while treed later, but I'll bet this would be very rare, as opposed to the other circumstance where they tree next to eachother or the sow stays near and fights and runs around the area.

I would think sow shooting by spot and stalk bear hunters would be the biggest prob.

With year old cubs, you may end up with a split race, and run them miles apart, but for the most part, those bears are good to go anyhow.

I understand where Gato is coming from, its definitely bogus if a guy, especially a Fish and Game official, is giving out info that is just speculation, especially when hound guys are having a tough enough time as it is.

Hope to see you post more pics Ron....

Ernie

Ron,don't let it stop you from posting picture's,we all know you werent trying to piss anyone off.
Those were great pictures.
I also understand where gatoMan is comming from.

Canoe, that was where we droped off the meat.
I havent had the chance to meet her .
I sure like the idea of getting to use all the scrap & bone that would be tossed out.

MD4ME- Sally is a very nice lady who is passionate about helping orphaned bears. She also raises orphaned coyotes.

My brother and I went over to her place a year or so ago and reinforced the roof of the giant enclosure (big, big dog kennel lookin cage). She was very interesting to talk to. After helping out, I forgot all about it until several months later when she sent me a very thoughtful letter as well as a picture of some cubs enjoying the enclosure.

Bears.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back