Mountain goat options?

ashersdad

I shot a mountain goat on Kodiak a few years back and have never got around to doing anything as far as taxidermy. My thought was to do lifesize and put it next to my lifesize dall sheep from Alaska. Lately, I've been rethinking my taxidermy strategy as the house is getting more and more full and mounts keep getting relegated to the garage which pretty much ruins them over time. I've started doing more european mounts which I really like.

I definitely want to do something with the goat to remember the hunt but am going back and forth now on lifesize or just a shoulder mount. I'd probably do a shoulder mount but worry it won't do the goat justice and show all of that beautiful long white hair.

So, I'm asking for suggestions and pictures if you happen to have a goat mount that I could look at. Thank you.

I think mtmiller has a pedestal mount that's probably the coolest goat mount I've seen. I'm not a fan of goat mounts in any form though LS or shoulder. I'd rather have a rug made, or just euro and a throw or pillows made of the hide. Not every animal has to be mounted.

I think mtmiller has a pedestal mount that's probably the coolest goat mount I've seen. I'm not a fan of goat mounts in any form though LS or shoulder. I'd rather have a rug made, or just euro and a throw or pillows made of the hide. Not every animal has to be mounted.
Hadn't even thought of a rug. Thanks for that option.

My two goats are shoulder mounts. There was some ambivalence at the time. I got over it.

To me a large part of a goat trophy is the long hair. That is why I left my goat tag at home through the months of September and October when when I went into my goat area scouting for goats and also looking for a bighorn ram for my unlimited sheep tag for that unit. Finally on the 14th of November of that year I took my goat tag in and got a great long haired 9 1/2"+ billy.

I completely skinned my goat out and my taxidermist wanted to do a full mount so bad that he offered to do for half of his normal rate. But at that time I didn't have the space for a full mount, so I had him only do a half body mount. That was 42 years ago, and I have regretted not doing a full mount ever since.

The rock that my taxidermist put my goat on looked like a square box with white cake frosting on it, that also bothered me for 42 years. Last summer I ordered a fake rock, that looks like a rock, from a taxidermy supply house along with some fake snow and icicles and I put them together for a rock that I like.
eo3kA88l.jpg

The throws and pillows you can make are nice additions to your spaces. I have some bear pillows being done and it was very reasonable and much less space than a rug. I also like the throw idea. I drape hides over my chairs and on book shelves. Just be careful of wear of course.

Lifesize for sure. 1/2 Lifesize at a minimum. Thats not only the taxidermist in me talking but the hunter in me as well. I couldn't imagine being fortunate enough to kill a Mt. Goat and and having it made into a throw or rug.

Making a throw out of Mt. Goat is like putting ketchup on a perfect steak.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back