mother cartridges

Europe

I was speaking with a group of older gentlemen over the weekend and as I was explaining that I like the 7mmwsm and that is is from the 404 Jeff case, they ask me what case/cartridge has given birth to the largest number of siblings and I said to the best of my knowledge the 375 H & H, but that both the 30-06 and 308 has also given us some good calibers. BTW, I am speaking of run of the mill calibers, not a group of wildcats .

I told them I would ask folks who are far smarter than I about these things and see whether or not I was right about the 375 H & H being number one. I will thank you now for your responses as I will be traveling and very possibly unable to respond for a bit

Since the 7.92x57 Mauser begat the 30-03 Springfield (which then begat the 30-06 family), as well as its own direct progeny (7x57, 6mmRem, .257 Roberts and others), it qualifies as a pretty prolific mother cartridge. If you count the granddaughter line of the 30-06 the Mauser may win the crown.

I think you are right. the 375 H&H has at least 11 cartridges while the 30-06 has 5 since we can't count wildcats. I'm not even going to worry about the 308 since the 375 H&H is the clear winner.

Hmmm...
To my thinking it would be a toss up between Mauser, (not sure which came first 7mm or 8mm) and the 300 Savage.
Obviously we got from the 300, the 250 Savage, which begot the 22-250.
And the whole 308 Win family. 308 was based off the 300 Savage.
For more modern cartridges, the 404 Jeffrey would be top momma, with the Dakota line, the Canadian Magnum(Imperial to some), RUM, RSAUM, WSM.

We would also have to think of the 416 Rigby. Obviously the 338 LM, but also the Dakota line from 416 up, and many of the newer magnums.

some really great posts and links--thank you all. I will be 'well-armed" for our next meeting when we discuss rifles and hunting, while "sampling" wine LOL There was only two females but the men were all very generous ( they paid for the drinks ) and some of them knew what they were talking about when speaking of hunting/rifles ( and one just wanted to argue instead of having an enjoyable conversation ), but it was fun and we were invited back.

The initial conversation arose when someone said the first smokeless round was the 30-06 and myself and at least two others, said--not quite. It was funny almost in unison one gentlemen said it was the 8 x50 Lebel, one said the 7 x 57 and I said the 30-40 was in there somewhere----AND the enjoyable discussion started from there. Ending in everyone who was still sober wondering, as well as giving our best guess as to which cartridge gave birth to the most siblings and as stated earlier myself and a couple others guessed 375 H & H.

But reading what you fellows posted, the 404 Jeff was also busy, especially with the wsm group of cartridges. I liked the 7mmwsm--did anyone else like any of them ?

I thought some of might enjoy the "back-story" to my original question---oh and btw --which one was FIRST ? (-;

I don't have a WSM, yet. My preference is for the 7mm RSAUM. Just me.
There is a Savage 11 in 300 WSMat a LGS that's calling to me.
Would be a quick call to E.R. Shaw and i'd have my 7mm RSAUM. :D:

Would gladly sit by a fire enjoying an adult beverage with anyone here.
Just bear in mind, we all have our own opinion on things. Lets agree to disagree, and still enjoy ourselves.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back