Most Challenging To Hunt

Terry aka Coydog

In your opinion, What is the most challenging North American Big Game animal to hunt? And why?

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

Well out of the animals I have hunted (Elk, Mule Deer and Antelope) deer have been the most difficult. I have yet to get a good one and I have killed less deer than any of the other two.

------------------
plunger.gif
elksil.jpg

Although I have never had a Bighorn Sheep tag I have hunted them with other folks and find it to be a real challenge. I would have to say Big Muleys would be a real challenge. Have never hunted Browns or grizzlies, or stone sheep but I would say that too would be a challenge. I think any kind of trophy hunting turns out to be a challenge. If ya shoot the first thing ya see, there isnt much challenge in it! just my opinion ! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html
www.huntandlodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

I have always been told that sheep hunts are tough. I have hunted mt. goat , black bear, elk and mule deer. The goat hunt was a real challenge cause of the terrain and altitude you find the animals at. Once you locate them, its not as tough. Once you shoot it it may be tough to get too. Big muleys are a tough one cause they are hard to come by. I don't shoot the first I see but, I can only pass up so many bucks before I start to get nervous.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Now that we can't use bait or dogs for bear they have become a little more challenging.
My new tactic is calling with a predator call or calf elk or fawn deer in distress call.

------------------
coyote4.gif

Terry you need to find you a houndsmen thats got ties with the timber companys up there in Washington, I know a few guys that still run bear up there

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

I vote for MATURE mule deer. I think a guy could get a 300 plus bull in just about evey unit in Idaho. But a 180 plus deer don't grow on every tree. If you slim that down to 190 plus deer I think there are only a few units that would produce a buck like this on a regular basis. Then If you take out the late season hunts, I think the odds of getting a big mature Mule deer would drop some more. Ron

This is my choice:

A mature 4pt blacktail during the general
season.Talk about a tough hunt, these bad
boys are pretty much nocturnal this time of
year, and they live in a jungle enviroment.
Alot of blacktails will never become a 4
pt due to genetics, so finding a big boy
becomes all that much tougher. Plenty of
blacktail hunters have never seen a decent
4 pt buck during season.

------------------
owl176x171.jpg

Bryan, You know I never thought of that but I have hunted them and you are right. Mature blacktail bucks are tough to come by and if they live that long they are smart!!

------------------
coyote4.gif

Yeah I agree, the mature Blacktail buck , definately a challenge. I spend a lot of time scouting them from when the season ends to when it begins, I locate a couple really nice ones every year but ive never shot one that I knew was in the area.

I think that ALL big game is just as challenging under various circumstances! Now with that said, I actually think the hardest to come by would be a B&C jack-a-lope! I have yet to see one entered in the books
smile.gif

Make ya wonder who some folks have them 2x2 super jack-a-lope mounts????
Maybe it is time to call BS!
smile.gif

------------------
sneaky.gif

IF YA CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DAWGS, KEEP YOUR ARSE ON THE PORCH

http://www.geocities.com/thumper_67.geo

BIG MULIES get my vote. I know they are out there and some of you guys bring home the proof, but high country mulies are one smart elusive animal. The odds get alot better if your lucky enough to draw a rut tag and the snow flies, but even then it is tough to close the distance on thier sage brush winter range. I know a few trophy mulie hunters who hunt them exclusively and may only pull the trigger every 4-5 years, but when they do its a monster. If I get a 170 mulie in my lifetime, I will be a happy guy!

Shoot straight

I would have to give my vote for sheep hunting with a bow. I have never hunted sheep but I cant imagine a more challenging hunt. I have hunted ibex w a bow here and if i ever get one with a bow, I would consider it the holy grail of bow hunting, Ill have to keep trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back