Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

More Yotes Bite the Dust

FEW

Here are some yotes I got over the last couple weeks or so. I would have more but I keep trying to get these little fuggers with my bow and end up wasting opportunities where I could have connected easily with my shotgun, but miss or fail to get off a shot woth my bow. All I got with my bow so far is a clump of hair I shaved off ones back...

A couple of the pics are crappy I really need to start thinking about shadows, and the sun and stuff before taking pics.... Oh well enough rambling here they are...

This guy I shot earlier this month, he came into yellowhammer distress tape when I was trying to call a bobcat. He came in after about 5 minutes and I let him go thinking I still may see a cat. Never saw a cat and after about 25 minutes he showed up again this time I let him have it at about 30 yards. One of the crappy pics...

image.php

Got this bitch 2 weeks ago, she was also a victim of yellowhammer distress and came in after about 7-8 minutes of low volume. This was also in the area that I have been calling hoping to call a bobcat, this time I did not have the patience to pass it up.

image.php

Here is a pretty big male I shot last wednesday he came into a baby cottontail tape with multiple distress cries going on at the same time. The tape came with the caller and this was the first stand that I used it on. I blanked my next 3 stands with it so it is not magic just happened to work for this guy... Another crappy pic...

image.php

This is another large male I got on friday. He came in after about 5 minutes of "viddles ala Jackrabbit".... Kind of a funny story. I was on my way home from work and decided to stop and try a stand on this piece of land. I had to be back by 530 and it was 445 when I pulled onto the dirt road. That was when I realized that I did not have any camo but decided to try it anyway. I got hunkered down into some brush and hid myslef well. About 4-5 minutes into calling I shifted my leg just a little but it was enough to drive a cactus needle right into my ankle. It hurt like hell and just as I started to stand up I saw coyote ears bobbing through the brush about 200 yard away. I eased back down still with the needle stinging like hell. It seemed like 10 minutes, but was probably more like 45 seconds when I saw him come popping out at about 60 yards and start to slow down. I was in too much pain to coax him further so shot at 60 yards and dropped him in his tracks. When I finally got to pull out the cactus sticker I saw it was actually a piece of cholla and I had more like 10 stickers in me. Oh well was still fun of course.

image.php

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-25-2003 15:59: Message edited by: FEW ]</font>

host went down just after I posted them. It usually does not take too long to get fixed...

Thanks. I am shooting 12 gauge 3 inch with #4 buck. Mostly Remington but have recently tried the Federals and seem to get the same results.

LMAO TK. That chit hurts man. I saw a bird dog get a big ball of cholla stuck on his sac once
eek.gif
so anytime I get cactus in me I just think of that, and I feel blessed that I am not that dog!!

WH I use a Mod but I think most guys use full or turkey chokes. I have tried them all and the modified spreads a little more but stays real consistent. In my gun full and turkey chokes seemed to throw the pellets in groups and leave bigger gaps even though the spread covered less area...

FEW, I'm surprised anybody would use a full choke with #4 buckshot. Seems like it could damage the choke. Modified seems about right. Improved Cylinder would even be worth a try. I remember a few years ago I went out and patterned some large steel shot loads, I think it was T's but maybe F's. Probably pretty similar in size to #4 lead buckshot. I patterned them the standard way, 40 yards, 30 inch circle, count the pellets and figure a percentage of the total that went inside the circle. I can't remember all the details, but I do remember that an improved cylinder choke gave me a 100% pattern. Now, that's pretty tight when a full choke is supposed to be a 70% pattern. I sure wouldn't be trying to force that large shot through a tight choke.

Maybe I will try improved too. You would be surprised how many people shoot large shot with full chokes, even turkey chokes atleast around here. That was the recomendation I got from several people when I was looking to start using my shotgun. One person told me a modified works for some but everyone else including him said to go with full or tighter in most cases... I bought a full and turkey and after testing I ended up using the mod that came with the gun...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back