Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

More tumbling questions?

josh

I dont have a tumbler and have never used one. Gotta tell ya I'm getting pretty sick of dirty brass, so I'm thinking about gettin one. Do they also clean the inside of the brass to some extent? Is there any benifit to tumbling other than appearance? Do you tumble before or after sizing?

Josh, Yes they do clean the inside of the brass. No I don't tumble after sizing, I tumble before sizing. With rifle cases, I wipe them clean after sizing, to remove the lube. All of my pistol dies are carbide, so I don't use any lube with pistol cases. I can't think of anything that would put me off on reloading faster than the sceeching dragging sound of dirty brass going into an expensive sizing die. It is not only hard on the ears, it's hard on the dies.
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

On handgun cartrdiges, I tumble the cases before sizing as I use carbide dies. On rifle cases, I tumble before and after re-sizing if I am full-length sizing new brass, as I like to make sure the lube is out of the inside case neck and to get rid of any "shavings" from chamfering the case mouth, too. (I use a spray lube.) If I'm just neck-sizing, my dies don't require lube so I just tumble before neck-sizing.

I have been using my tumbler since Christmas, with the nut shell media. There seems to be some dust residue from the media, and I lightly tap the case when emptying the media out. I suppose the dust would make no difference in the case, or we'd all be frinding ways to clean that out?

------------------
There is no conflict between a love for God, a love of guns and a love of freedom. -Rev.

Rev, Get away from the walnut shell stuff and use corncob media. Either buy it with polish already in it, or add some polish to it. The polish cleans and polishes the brass and helps to keep the powder down. The cases come out bright and shiney clean. Just don't run them in the tumbler then let them sit for weeks without dumping them. Freind of mine let some cases sit in his garage from July to November, in the tumbler. Couldn't understand why the media was all bunched up in the cases and wouldn't come out.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

I have heard of people buying the corn cob at feed stores and getting it for a lot better price. If you do this be sure it is as fine as the stuff you buy for tumbling. My stepdad gave me some he had bought and I used it for my .223 brass, every round was packed to the neck and the corn cob was as hard as a rock.

I always add one piece of paper toweling torn in half to my tumbler, this paper towel accumulates most of the dust, and leaves both the media and brass somewhat cleaner. Just toss the towel out, and the dirt with it.

WHEN FREEDOM IS OUTLAWED-ONLY OUTLAWS WILL REMAIN FREE-------CHAINSAW

I've been using corncob loaded with Dillon polish. I've tumbled something like 2500 rifle brass and I haven't changed the media. When it takes longer to polish, I just add more polish.

Back