More rage bait: Grizzly claiming your elk and getting a ticket for waste?

That's definitely your opinion on the matter. Coming from someone who was in somewhat of a similar situation, I feel differently than you. People make mistakes. Mistakes are meant to learn from and accept. Mistakes were made regardless of how you feel towards this very well known elk hunter, who ive never heard of until now. Maybe your ethics align with his better than they do with mine.
If you didn’t get all the meat, you screwed the pooch. Time to go back and reassess your decision making leading up to it. So many hunters don’t do this. I don’t buy into the “well crap happens”. Lose meat, you ain’t that top level
 
Read the story. They didnt hunt late. They shot fairly early and didnt make a great hit. Watched the elk for a long time before dark. Have you ever encountered Griz while in elk country? Have you killed an elk in Griz country? I have done both a few years ago in Wyoming. Did not encounter a bear while skinning but did encounter a huge sow with 3 very large cubs one morning. Then a boar was chasing the same 3 a couple miles away in the evening. 7 bear encounters in one day with no dead elk. Glad you are tough guy and can handle skinning and quartering an elk into the night in that country.

I read it and went back and double checked. It says that the bull was shot just before dark. So, I'd say that is hunting late. One of my misgivings about archery hunting, is the need to let the animal die undisturbed, if the hit isn't clearly fatal. Not too big a deal if shot in the morning. It is almost guaranteed that the meat is going to spoil if you leave an animal the size of an elk, undressed, overnight.

I can't know, but the wound on the elk's flank looks too straight to be caused by a bear or birds, tearing at the animal. I think that is where he hit the elk with the arrow. That would certainly put an animal in immediate distress. It would also be a long slow painful death.

Imo, if the group had time to pose for some trophy photos, and take the head, they could have more ethically skipped the photos, and gotten the meat. The meat would have been likely inedible, but it is callous to just take the head, and leave the carcass in the field.

There is no mention in the article how far the shot was. It was by the result, a shot better not taken. It would not shock me if the shot was on the longer side.
 
Read the story. They didnt hunt late. They shot fairly early and didnt make a great hit. Watched the elk for a long time before dark. Have you ever encountered Griz while in elk country? Have you killed an elk in Griz country? I have done both a few years ago in Wyoming. Did not encounter a bear while skinning but did encounter a huge sow with 3 very large cubs one morning. Then a boar was chasing the same 3 a couple miles away in the evening. 7 bear encounters in one day with no dead elk. Glad you are tough guy and can handle skinning and quartering an elk into the night in that country.
Not a question of being tough.

Choices lead to a situation he was unwilling to deal with - the dead elk in the dark. "Top Level" hunters should be able to not make choices that put them in undesirable situations.

It appears he got out of the ticket which is unfortunate.
 
I bet if this guy got his head chewed off by a grizzly trying to salvage meat we'd be saying what an idiot he was.

I met a guy who shot a huge bull solo hunting during the early part of archery season. He was less than concerned with his two full day pack-out with highs in the upper 70's, more of an "oh well" that he lost a bunch of the meat at the end of it. Sure got that head out though.

Takes a special kind of person to knowingly waste a bunch of prime meat like that.
 
An elk left overnight is not automatically 100% spoiled. It's not a great situation, but it's also not a total loss. Obviously there are a ton of factors involved.

I also don't think 2 days with highs in the 70s is going to spoil the meat if it is clean, cooled and hung in good locations. I could see not loosing any of it. Its not grocery store burger left in your car. Keeping it clean is the biggest think that gets people into trouble in my opinion.
 
An elk left overnight is not automatically 100% spoiled. It's not a great situation, but it's also not a total loss. Obviously there are a ton of factors involved.

I also don't think 2 days with highs in the 70s is going to spoil the meat if it is clean, cooled and hung in good locations. I could see not loosing any of it. Its not grocery store burger left in your car. Keeping it clean is the biggest think that gets people into trouble in my opinion.
Don’t you think he didnt get the hide off and the quarters? I have killed a couple elk and a deer solo in triple digits and didn’t lose a stitch of meat
 
I get the trespassing ticket but how did he get you for waste of game??
Because in cop logic once a transgression is determined, all subsequent activities and behavior are deemed equally nefarious.
If he had not trespassed, the elk wouldn't have died, therefore HE is responsible for the animal being lost to the scavengers.
This just solidifies my stance that calling the "authorities" rarely makes a situation better.
1790510062467.gif
 
For all you internet heroes out there. Here is Ron's side of the story. It is amazing how fast MOST people will just trash someone based on very little information. Ron handled this exactly how he should have. Wyoming did NOT!!






Hi guys, I'm addressing the elephant in the room since no-one else has posted it. As many of you probably know due to the recent media and social media crap storm, I was investigated and cited for wasting a big game animal last year in Wyoming. I thought the whole thing was bs and told them I'd see them in court. I did and kicked their ass.
I have been out of service much of September but wanted to clear up some details surrounding my 2025 bull elk. The media and social media firestorm of coverage regarding the investigation, charges, trial and subsequent acquittal has been surprising to say the least. I’m just now able to address it.

On September 19, 2025, I was bowhunting elk on National Forest land with good friend Adam Miles. We made an excellent stalk and I shot a large bull elk shortly before dark. The hit looked good and the bull only went a short distance before bedding down. We watched until we absolutely couldn’t see anymore. The bull was still alive, with his head up, so we backed out, planning to return at daylight.

Adam and Mary Miles and I returned first thing in the morning with packs and knives, ready to work. We approached carefully, making a lot of noise, pistols in hand. Grizzlies are thick where we hunt and we didn’t want to surprise one. The bull was laying in an open area right where he bedded the night before. When we got to him, it was obvious that a grizzly had been there. The guts were protruding from his side and there were bite marks everywhere. There were also two piles of grizzly poop within a few yards. We are very experienced hunting around grizzly bears and know what their poop looks like. Based on factors that I’ll explain below, we determined the meat was inedible and that a grizzly was likely laying in the timber nearby. I was damn proud of this bull and the stalk that it involved. Photographs are extremely important to me so we rolled the bull over, smoothed out the hair as best we could and took several photos with Mary standing guard. Adam said he could have the head off in minutes so we chose to also do that. You don’t eat the head and the fact that there were other hunters in the area who might have made off with it helped us make that choice, otherwise we would have returned in a week or so for the head. I punched my tag even though I could technically have continued hunting for another elk. I killed my elk. I didn’t want another one.

We elk hunt public land. We live on wild game. We don’t buy beef. We are not afraid of grizzlies. We respect them and spend our Septembers with them. We have MUCH experience dealing with them. We’ve been charged many times. We can’t shoot the dang bears if they claim a carcass or try to run us off one which has happened to us and I’m sure, many others. We are not lazy hunters. This would have been our easiest elk packout ever. In the past 12 years, our hunting group has packed 56 elk out on our backs. The longest pack was 6 miles and the total distance of all the packouts was more than 150 miles. I have personally been involved with processing and packing my own animals, as well as friends and family’s: Approximately 10 moose, 8 sheep, 4 mountain goats, 4 bison, 6 caribou, 119 elk, 166 deer and 61 antelope. I had absolutely no idea of those numbers until going through my photographs. It’s probably contributed to my 8th back surgery coming up in 5 days.

So here is why I fought the charges and the jury found me not guilty.

1. In 2016, Mary Miles killed a bull and before we found it, a grizzly did. She contacted the game warden (prior to the current one) and he advised her “If you can sneak in and grab the head, do that, but do NOT take the meat. It is contaminated and unsafe to eat.” A simple internet search backs that opinion.

2. The Game and Fish regulations state: The department may require substantive proof from any person who fails to retrieve from the site of the kill all edible portions of a big game animal as the why the edible portions were not removed from the field. I believe we provided adequate photographic evidence. When asked what would be considered substantive proof, the department could not define it.

3. On the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s website, under the bear-wise section, there is a video showing two hunters approaching a kill. When they observe a disturbed carcass, they turn and walk away. The video says “Play if safe. Never attempt to scare a bear away.”

This whole thing was a waste of my time and money, the jury’s time and inconvenience as well as the court’s. It has greatly tarnished my reputation and wrecked my confidence in the department. I’ve always had an excellent relationship with them and have served on local working groups. Could I have done better? Yes. When I had service, I could have called the warden and let him know the situation. However, we have done that with other department personnel when we’ve had grizzly bear issues in the past and their replies have been “Well it’s that time of year – the bears are hungry.” There is no legal requirement to notify the department. We thought we’d handled the situation properly. That probably wasn’t fair to the new warden. We don’t know what he might have said. Hopefully the department will make some much needed changes or additions to their regulations. I doubt they will.

So there it is for better or worse. I know many have already formed opinions. I’m not trying to change those, only bringing forth what actually happened. It has not been properly portrayed in the media. Thanks to all who have supported me. It truly means the world to me.
 
I wasn’t sure if it was the same bull in the grip and grin or not… But I agree 100% on getting the hinds off quicker than the head, and meat already being soured. I also hate the “back out and leave him” idea for elk. You can’t tell me with a straight face you’re recovering good meat by doing that in September. Maybe packing out some sour meat that’s going to get thrown out later.

I’ve seen a few elk torn up by bears, and a bunch that are half gutted by birds and coyotes, and this one looks like the latter. I know @shrapnel posted a good photo of one that a bear actually got. If it was me and I didn’t see a bear actually messing with my elk quarters, I’m going back to get it with my .45-70 and a friend or two before I just leave it.
I've recovered multiple archery bulls in early September left overnight, I lost the tenderloins on 1 bull, that was it. Daytime highs up to the low 90's. It all depends when they died. A bad shot (1 lung/liver/guts) around dark they generally aren't dying until the early morning, so it's fine. Now, you double lung one and let it lie there for 14 hrs guts in.....that's a different story.
 
being worried about a grizzly and taking the time for grip and grins and taking the rack didn’t do him any favors. I’m glad it didn’t hold up in court but hopefully he keeps a lower profile next time.
 
Back
Top