More "My neighbor is a D-Bag" aka "40 acres is way less than you think."

We try to manage around 1500 acres of great whitetail habitat and struggle to get a deer to the 4.5 age bracket. We have numerous neighbors that if it's brown it's down. No way your doing QDM on 40 acres to be honest without several neighbors on board. Best thing is to sit down and have a meeting of the minds and if that don't work change your thinking on QDM to be honest.

You need to sit down with your neighbor and enjoy a cold Lacroix together. It's a beverage with mystical powers. mtmuley

It's always good to stay friendly with the neighbors. That's why you should set up a Camp Chef on the property line and cook you and your neighbor a nice hearty bacon and egg breakfast as the sun comes opening morning. They'll appreciate the gesture.

If you think any management could ever happen on even a thousand acres you’re mistaken. You need enough area the deer stay on your place mostly. During the rut bucks wander anyhow but 40 acres won’t even allow but a small piece in time for them. What you’re trying is futile. Doesn’t matter what you’re neighbors are doing, they’re in their right. Even placing a stand a foot from your property if they never trespass you can’t say a thing. It’s only if the go over the line you have say. You may not want to hear any of this but it’s simple fact.
Me personally I’m not a line hugger. You could always place a loud radio, a kennel w yappy dogs or dirty laundry right next to them on your property to discourage them. They couldn’t do anything about that either though.

I see your in north Idaho. I am also. I would just repeat what’s been said 40 acres is way too small to really practice quality deer management. I had 130 acres surrounded by state and national forest at the end of a private road at the base of hoodoo mountain if you are long time resident you would remember that was known for great deer genetics. (Those days are long gone). I had no illusions of qdm program but my family had no desire to shoot young bucks off the property. We shot one decent 5 point in owning it over 15 years and he was on the public land adjoining our property lol. We didn’t live on that acreage but live on different acreage closer to town. Funny thing is there was millions of acres of public right next to it but everyone thought every deer on the mountain must be on that one small piece of private. Keeping trespassers off wasn’t even close to worth the battle. It makes me laugh as they have developed a lot of 5 acre pieces around my area and I can tell when someone usually from “south of Idaho” buyS it because it will be immediately heavily posted with no hunting or trespassing signs. I want to explain that probably no one will want to hunt in there 5 acre yard but I don’t want to offend them because they think they have a “ranch”. 😂 One thing I have noticed is most people owning those little 5 acre pieces will shoot any young buck that cruise through the backyard so having quality deer management on anything less than a section of land will just lead to frustration. It would honestly be better if hunters would just take a doe and pass the young bucks but the fork horns will get shot every time in this area just part of the mentality. You will enjoy your deer hunting FAR more hunting the big bucks in more remote public land places and will have MORE opportunities as well. I would do my best to befriend the neighbors and just let them know you want to let a few young ones walk. They might come around. The only way to grow big deer on smaller acreage around here is to adjoin another very large piece of private where the landowners are like minded.

How big should the buffer be on a property line? Does it work for public land as well?

Establishing "QDM" on 40 acres is pretty funny. Deer have home range about 20 times that or more, but you're upset that the neighbors shoot "your" deer?
My neighbor has 51 acres and he tries to do QDM. He let a 9 pt whitetail walk by him and the other neighbor whacked in within minutes. Pretty funny if you ask me.

My mom is an absentee landowner. Her neighbors put some stands up on the trees along the property line but they placed their feeder in her meadow. There would not be a safe shot for me to use it. Probably wouldn’t be for them either.

I am tempted to take some LaCroix sparkling water up to them, as a neighborly gesture, right around daylight next opener.

View attachment 186200
IF they put it on your land, they gave it to you.

Put it where ever you can use it best.

How big should the buffer be on a property line? Does it work for public land as well?

Establishing "QDM" on 40 acres is pretty funny. Deer have home range about 20 times that or more, but you're upset that the neighbors shoot "your" deer?
I must agree with this statement. If they are legally hunting on their own property and not shooting deer on your property you have no argument.
It's not something I would do if I knew it bothered my neighbor.
These deer probably came from public land to begin with. So unless you buy these deer and raise them in pens to be released for your hunting pleasure behind a high-fence there is nothing you can do about it.
Like Bambistew asked how far from your property line would be ok with you?

Can't do it effectively on 1,300+- acres, deer move a lot more than you think honestly. I was surprised how many of the same deer hit the ridges and show up on my brother in laws trail cams 2+ miles away. That being said, setting up on a property line sucks. I'd talk to them and say we can either agree on a buffer and be civil about retrieval if something runs onto either others property or stick with the property line blind and not step foot on your property for any reason and back it up with trail cams and charges if they trespass. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

I got people on both sides of my 40 that are killing everything that walks. I finally got some sense through to the guy to my west but the guy to my east is Vietnamese.....there is no reaching an agreement with him. I am considering a high fence lol.

I finally got some sense through to the guy to my west but the guy to my east is Vietnamese.....

I don't know what nationality has to do with this, but I used to hunt a 100ac piece where white dudes and dudettes would blast everything that walked out of it...

While we're judging people, they were normally the overweight type who take those weird "sitting on the deer" pictures.

I don't wanna know what my neighbors are doing on their property as long as its legal. Its just a total bonus if goals line up in regards to management.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back