Yeti GOBOX Collection

More Lead Ammo restrictions Proposed

Brandon270

This wasn't a huge surprise when a local gun range shared the latest bill proposed on banning all lead based ammo on shooting ranges. We will fight it as hard as we can but odds are it's another inevitable fate here in California. This one will just about kill all local ranges. If this passes the only thing they have left is to convince people that solid copper rounds penetrate too much for the public to be allowed to use. They will frame it as protecting police officers etc.

What is the reason for this? I mean, the real reason is obvious but what is the reason they are using?
Lead is harmful when it gets into water or when it is ingested.
Are there regulations about the kind of ventilation indoor ranges must have?
Are the condors picking through the backstop of outdoor ranges for snacks? 🙄

What is the reason for this? I mean, the real reason is obvious but what is the reason they are using?
Lead is harmful when it gets into water or when it is ingested.
Are there regulations about the kind of ventilation indoor ranges must have?
Are the condors picking through the backstop of outdoor ranges for snacks? 🙄
They just used the "lead is toxic so it's bad" line. They did mention about safety of wildlife, but like you pointed out I never see animals picking through the backstop at my local range. They also mentioned lead dust coming out of the fire arm when shooting. No solutions other than banning lead ammo were proposed.

Last edited:
I don't have any issue with non-lead ammunition in the field, which seems to be a reasonable request. However, the range ban is just punitive. Does the bill ban the sale or just the use at public ranges?

I don't have any issue with non-lead ammunition in the field, which seems to be a reasonable request. However, the range ban is just punitive. Does the bill ban the sale or just the use at public ranges?
Bans the use at ranges as well as prevents ranges from providing or selling lead based ammo.

If you can't pass legislation to ban firearms, just make everything expensive/hard to acquire. We've seen that in a litany of anti-gun docs, California will just keep chipping and other states will follow suit.

This really isn't surprising. And I think the love are pretty accurate.

But fwiw, there is a study about worms in shooting ranges and their lead content being passed on to birds that eat them. I'll have to go dig it up for a citation.

If we can't shoot at a public or private range where they must have a mitigation protocol, we'll just go to dispersed ranges on public land.....we all know what those look like.

I'm very close to having my blood drawn as well as a bone scan done so I can share it with my local representative as a life long visitor to shooting ranges and hunter.

This is just stupid.

Don’t worry, the point of diminishing returns is close.lol... fwiw all my friends who are/were independent free thinking voices of reason that suggested sportsman “compromise” on the lead ammo ban for hunting told me I was fear mongering when I suggested this would happen years ago.

Last edited:
Don’t worry, the point of diminishing returns is close.lol... fwiw all my friends who are/were independent free thinking voices of reason that suggested sportsman “compromise” on the lead ammo ban for hunting told me I was fear mongering when I suggested this would happen years ago.

That's what really rubs me, this is a perfect play into the fear mongering and will do way more harm to the lead free movement for hunting.

Even if agencies bring up the voluntary conversion, this will be used as exhibit A. Perfect example of rallying the extremes to quash the radical middle.

God I’m so glad I left that place. I feel for you guys. It’s infuriating. I’m sure I only bought myself a few years, but still.

It's sad really, I can't stand when anyone even uses the word "compromise". What the hell has our side ever gotten in any of these "compromises"?

People keep giving in to this "common sense" bs because it might not directly affect them but sooner or later the fight will be at their feet.

If we can't shoot at a public or private range where they must have a mitigation protocol, we'll just go to dispersed ranges on public land.....we all know what those look like.

I know what you're saying, but for what it's worth, although it doesn't say it on the NY Dept of Enviro Conservation website, almost 100% of the public state lands I've visited so far in this part of my state have posted no target shooting. So that'll be next, ranges have to have mitigation protocol, and no target practice except at designated ranges.... you know how that goes.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back