TSS Shot Size Restrictions

winmag

Most, if not all, states restrict shot size on the larger end as a safety measure for turkey hunting since more people get shot while hunting turkeys than while pursuing any other game. This is one of the main reasons you can't use a rifle during spring turkey season. Most states have #2's or #4's as the max pellet size for turkeys since #2 lead typically won't outright kill a person except at quite close range. #2 lead penetrates about 2.5" of ballistic gelatin at 40 yards, which is still quite dangerous, but #2 TSS will penetrate about 6" of ballistic gelatin at 40 yards. Get hit with 100 #2's at turkey hunting ranges and you're just outright dead, immediately.

Do you think there will be shot size restrictions specific to TSS in the near future? Indiana recently started allowing shot size smaller than 7 1/2's, as small as #10's, specifically for TSS. I'm curious how long it will be before they restrict large TSS for turkeys, like no TSS larger than #7, for safety reasons.

I don't know why someone would use #2 TSS for turkeys except that you could body shoot one at probably 100-120 yards. I'm sure someone is doing it and I hope they're not hunting the same woods as me.

Yikes, hadn't heard that. Its terrible to think about, but as more people shoot TSS, deaths will increase.

IMO TSS is just a reinvention of the wheel with a higher price tag. Is it effective? Yes. Does it allow you to kill birds at greater distances? Yes.
I don't know. Maybe I'm old school, but I'd say if you need to be taking 50, 60, 70, 80+ yard shots on turkeys like folks like to talk it up for, maybe you should spend more time on strategy, scouting, wordsmanship, calling, etc. to get the birds in closer.
Also, folks wanna make the argument it's a more effective round for children, I'd call bull. A 20 gauge loaded up with TSS 9s than copper plated lead 5s or 6s is still discharging a live round and the difference will be negligible.
Tighter pattern argument? 9/10 guys shooting TSS are going to shoot them with an aftermarket choke tube which will group traditional rounds just as well and put just as many pellets in the kill zone as TSS.
Lead poisoning argument? Shoot them in the head, not the breast. If you get a flier or two in the breast, take 30 seconds and pluck em out while you clean the bird.
Just another ploy for ammo companies to try and make more money off of hunters by suckering them into the latest and greatest tech. $50+ for a box of 5 shells? Get outta here. I'd be willing to bet the efficacy of a standard 12 gauge copper plated 5 or 6 vs a 12 gauge TSS 9 at a range of less than 40 yards is slim to none.

Not a personal attack on anyone and sorry if this highjacks your thread but I had to get it out. Rant over.

IMO TSS is just a reinvention of the wheel with a higher price tag. Is it effective? Yes. Does it allow you to kill birds at greater distances? Yes.
I don't know. Maybe I'm old school, but I'd say if you need to be taking 50, 60, 70, 80+ yard shots on turkeys like folks like to talk it up for, maybe you should spend more time on strategy, scouting, wordsmanship, calling, etc. to get the birds in closer.
Also, folks wanna make the argument it's a more effective round for children, I'd call bull. A 20 gauge loaded up with TSS 9s than copper plated lead 5s or 6s is still discharging a live round and the difference will be negligible.
Tighter pattern argument? 9/10 guys shooting TSS are going to shoot them with an aftermarket choke tube which will group traditional rounds just as well and put just as many pellets in the kill zone as TSS.
Lead poisoning argument? Shoot them in the head, not the breast. If you get a flier or two in the breast, take 30 seconds and pluck em out while you clean the bird.
Just another ploy for ammo companies to try and make more money off of hunters by suckering them into the latest and greatest tech. $50+ for a box of 5 shells? Get outta here. I'd be willing to bet the efficacy of a standard 12 gauge copper plated 5 or 6 vs a 12 gauge TSS 9 at a range of less than 40 yards is slim to none.

Not a personal attack on anyone and sorry if this highjacks your thread but I had to get it out. Rant over.
you obviously have not shot / tested TSS vs. traditional loads

you obviously have not shot / tested TSS vs. traditional loads
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016 - Find & Share on GIPHY

Does 25 pellets in the head make the bird more dead than 18 pellets?

I just took apart a Federal BlackCloud TSS shell and I never realized how small these #9 are! If they do what I've heard I can't imagine wanting to use #2s for anything besides cranes and UFOs. I don't like shot size restrictions...even though it's not...it seems like gatekeeping. I still think 40 yards is plenty far for shots...more pellets doesn't necessarily mean more dead but a reduced risk of holes in patterns makes me happy.

I bought these so I could hunt in lead restricted areas like NWRs and the fact that it was on clearance with rebate sold me. I think the 100rds I bought cost me less than 10 of the turkey TSS loads. Admittedly I haven't patterned them yet.

No worries, I'll start a new thread over in the Feathers and Wings section to discuss the efficacy of TSS vs Lead for turkeys because I do have some thoughts about that.

Can you post a link to the indiana allowing the smaller shot? I read the board ruling that they wouldn’t change the rules allowing smaller tss “to not confuse hunters”. I doubt anyone turkey hunting with TSS is using anything larger than 8 unless the state restricts it. 9s will pattern dense enough and penetrate enough to ranges beyond reason.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016 - Find & Share on GIPHY

Does 25 pellets in the head make the bird more dead than 18 pellets?
no but this line is BS

A 20 gauge loaded up with TSS 9s than copper plated lead 5s or 6s is still discharging a live round and the difference will be negligible.

for 410s the difference is even more noticeable

Can you post a link to the indiana allowing the smaller shot? I read the board ruling that they wouldn’t change the rules allowing smaller tss “to not confuse hunters”. I doubt anyone turkey hunting with TSS is using anything larger than 8 unless the state restricts it. 9s will pattern dense enough and penetrate enough to ranges beyond reason.
Rule change approved March 16, 2021

I doubt anyone turkey hunting with TSS is using anything larger than 8 unless the state restricts it.
Federal sells #7's. The only reason I can think of that they sell #7's is because when they introduced TSS turkey hunters were afraid to buy #8's or #9's. #7 TSS is overkill for turkeys unless you are body shooting them at normal turkey hunting ranges.

Interesting topic. I can't imagine why anyone would want to shoot TSS larger than 7 for turkeys.

On a side note, no real need to restrict TSS shot size right now, here at least, because you can't find it in any size. I have been looking since January.

I bought 2 boxes of fed 2.5oz 8x10s in feb and ordered a box of 410 apex today

I use #7.5s TSS loads.

Federal sells #7's. The only reason I can think of that they sell #7's is because when they introduced TSS turkey hunters were afraid to buy #8's or #9's. #7 TSS is overkill for turkeys unless you are body shooting them at normal turkey hunting ranges.

I load #7.5s cause I like the performance over the #9s.

Back