Caribou Gear Tarp

More Homes on Fire Alert

ELKCHSR

More Colorado Homes Put on Fire Alert
By CATHERINE TSAI, Associated Press Writer

LAPORTE, Colo. - Fire officials said 23 homes and 70 outbuildings were threatened by an 8,000-acre wildfire in northern Colorado, but they were encouraged that wind was pushing the flames into unpopulated national forest.

thumb.nyet26404021812.western_wildfires_nyet264

AP Photo

One house and a garage have been destroyed in the fire, which was 30 percent contained Friday night.

The fire has prompted the evacuation of 140 homes in the rolling hills 70 miles northwest of Denver, and an additional 108 homes were placed on alert even as cooler weather and light rain bolstered efforts to fight the blaze.

A winter storm warning was posted for the region late Friday into Saturday and forecasters said the rain would change over to snow at higher elevations.

As more than 225 firefighters worked Friday, white smoke billowed up from mountain ridges and valleys, and scattered trees erupted in flames.

Colorado, like much of the West, remains stuck in a drought with little sign of relief.

Firefighter Clinton Bellingar, 25, of Buena Vista, said he was surprised to get the call Wednesday.

"I didn't have any of my gear ready," Bellingar said. "I wasn't expecting a fire this early in the year."

The state's first significant fire of the season was declared a state emergency by Gov. Bill Owens, clearing the way for up to $2.2 million in emergency funds. Officials said the fire has cost $810,000 to fight so far.

Man. Sounds like the west is in for another bad year with the fires. Already starting and it isn't even summer yet. :(

I'm just hoping we don't have another bad one here. It runs in cycles and we haven't had a large fire in this area in several years. I also saw on the news that Florida had a pretty bad fire near the Everglades

Back