More Fun with Feral Horses

Good luck rounding up a wild horse, it would stomp the sheet
out of you.
I have hunted all over Az. for over 50 yrs. and never seen
a wild horse. Burros are everywhere! 💥

What if you are just a "horse herd manager" working for Nigerian Prince Horse Management Solutions LLC, and if the "adopters"; Horse 1 LLC , Horse 2 LLC , Horse 3 LLC. etc all adopt 4 horses a year, and then decide to pool resources and all contract with you use you to 'reduce overhead' and manage their horses.
The problem is, it is going to cost you more than the 1000 dollar incentive to feed and take care of the horse for a year, because of feed and you have to do a minimum of 2 vet wellness checks to relieve the incentive, plus you have to have significantly more secure corrals to meet their requirements plus shelter which is a significant expense. You then have to prove that it's been "gentled" which is huge amount of time. On top of all of that, the last horse I sold for meat brought about .10/lb on a 1200 lb horse that was $120.00. No matter how you flip it, it is a money losing venture.

The problem is, it is going to cost you more than the 1000 dollar incentive to feed and take care of the horse for a year, because of feed and you have to do a minimum of 2 vet wellness checks to relieve the incentive, plus you have to have significantly more secure corrals to meet their requirements plus shelter which is a significant expense. You then have to prove that it's been "gentled" which is huge amount of time. On top of all of that, the last horse I sold for meat brought about .10/lb on a 1200 lb horse that was $120.00. No matter how you flip it, it is a money losing venture.
But...tasty! 💥

Thanks for bringing in real life experience for clarification.

.10/lb is abysmal

Far more profitable to become a holding facility, get paid to range them and bury them when they die, your expenses covered and you make a profit, just need the land (or BLM allotment) to do it.

And April, since you mentioned it again I realize I forgot to clarify re: horses going to Mexico or Canada. IMO I willl pack the truck driver a lunch and a thermos of coffee if it helps get them there faster.
Unfortunately, you can only adopt 4 in a 12 month period. The incentive is UP TO 1000 dollars. Which reads like a reimbursement. So logistics of getting one to Mexico or Canada isn’t a good business model.

Exactly ! The taxpayer money paid out is completely wasted with the so-called adoption program . I mentioned briefly in an earlier post the cost and time to care for a horse is far beyond what most people realize and/or are willing to do.

Taking or shipping horse, or four, to Mexico and/or Canada is not a profitable venture. Is there an appetite ( no pun intended ) for the Government to decrease the existing herds by half--with the older half being sent to Canada or Mexico by the Govt. ??? This reduces the herds which help the other wild life, decreases the taxpayer dollars being spent to care for those remaining and of course people in other countries ---Mexico, Canada, --maybe Nigeria,;) will have meat on their dinner table.

. Burros are everywhere! 💥
These guys as well !!! ;)

Exactly ! The taxpayer money paid out is completely wasted with the so-called adoption program . I mentioned briefly in an earlier post the cost and time to care for a horse is far beyond what most people realize and/or are willing to do.

Taking or shipping horse, or four, to Mexico and/or Canada is not a profitable venture. Is there an appetite ( no pun intended ) for the Government to decrease the existing herds by half--with the older half being sent to Canada or Mexico by the Govt. ??? This reduces the herds which help the other wild life, decreases the taxpayer dollars being spent to care for those remaining and of course people in other countries ---Mexico, Canada, --maybe Nigeria,;) will have meat on their dinner table.

These guys as well !!! ;)

I'd be fine with something like that, however the younger half should be the ones sent to market.

That would result in a less robust rebound in their populations.

Sure! I will gladly provide GPS coords for my prime locations.
I was just curious because the horses I witnessed in NM were pretty damn friendly (you could walk right by them and they were super curious of us). I'm sure you toss a rope around one and they won't be like this but I was just wondering what is stopping some guy from rounding up a horse, tossing it in his trailer and claiming it as his own and then "doing what he wishes" to the horse?

I was just curious because the horses I witnessed in NM were pretty damn friendly (you could walk right by them and they were super curious of us). I'm sure you toss a rope around one and they won't be like this but I was just wondering what is stopping some guy from rounding up a horse, tossing it in his trailer and claiming it as his own and then "doing what he wishes" to the horse?
A federal law.

A big reason there is little interest in adoptions is even when the horse is free, there are better options in getting a horse to use.

I respect anyone who does it, but there are many hurdles.

First, it would be better for herd reduction if the mares were adopted. But many people prefer geldings. If you adopt a stallion, you have one trip to the vet for certain. Then you have to work with an adult horse that has never been confined or handled.

The time and effort to train the horse can't be easier than working with a young horse, handled and worked with from a very young age.

We must have different ones in Wyo. Not sure you could or would want to try that with the ones I encounter. Every once in a while you will see one running with them that has a halter. Assuming its a runoff from a sheep camp. I saw a Shetland pony running with a herd a few years ago over by Wamsutter. Those might let you try that.

Anyone wondering how wild they are should watch the individual videos of them in the corral on the adoption site.

The only wild horses I've ever seen were in NW NM and I assure you they were quite wild. They were more vehicle shy than the muley does in the same canyon

Did they have a brand on them?We run horses on open land during throughwinter months. 💥

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back