More deer killed by wolves than hunters in some Wisconsin counties

God gave man the dominion over the animals Genesis 1:26

DINOSAURhq1.jpg

I've deer hunted 10 years in the Midwest both wolf country and non wolf country each. If your area can support wolves and you don't have them, it's worth getting them from a prey-management perspective. They prevent overpopulation on areas that don't get sufficient human hunting pressure, and reduce disease outbreaks. I don't buy the we take the place of wolves, so we don't need them argument. They do a far better job of population management than humans do due to our bureaucracy. I'm also a big proponent of wolf hunting. In a perfect world we could all buy a cheap OTC wolf tag in every state every year. Yeah that's more tags than wolves but they are so wary I doubt hunters would put much of a dent in their population so long as we're not shooting them from aircraft, at night, with hounds or bait. The main trouble is there is so much opposition from the wolf huggers that wolf hunting gets so restricted that no one wants new wolves in an area knowing they are going to be untouchable.

Yeah go ahead and mock the bible quote but there is still an important principle behind it, which is humans are by far the most influential/powerful of all the earth's species, and it's our job to manage the natural world to have functioning ecosystems in the face of our own pollution and encroachment - Letting it manage itself is totally unrealistic whether that's wolf/deer/livestock dynamics or just about anything else.

He did tjones lol, Now I may be wrong but my understanding is that the canadian grey wolf that was imported to the U.S is not the same wolf that Lewis and Clark or my ancestors would have came across back in the day. With that said I do not dislike the wolf, but I wish the politics would stay out of the situation and the wildlife agencies can manage as they see fit without the threat of a court battle over their shoulder. The science shows that without management they can raise havoc and destroy game populations. Life was pretty damn good before the wolf was reintroduced, but now we have them and we must deal with them.

Found a few of those Juneau County wolves!!

Attachments

• 0C51CE1B-A110-4F6C-BAD5-7719A20B45CD.jpeg
    0C51CE1B-A110-4F6C-BAD5-7719A20B45CD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • BFA9E135-4702-4CEC-982F-C33026FCFFDF.jpeg
    BFA9E135-4702-4CEC-982F-C33026FCFFDF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 547A3FAB-C60C-4F0E-9441-9ED86670D500.jpeg
    547A3FAB-C60C-4F0E-9441-9ED86670D500.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 9C73392A-5416-4560-A88F-3DEBBE6F987F.jpeg
    9C73392A-5416-4560-A88F-3DEBBE6F987F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
but now we have them and we must deal with them.
That's the problem...biologists and conservationists have basically no say in how to manage them when the courts get involved. So it cant be properly dealt with by the people with the wolf and other species (including homosapians) best interests in mind.

I can see this going down the road of "We gotta kill all them woofs so I can get my freezer meat!"

Because that's been the narrative from the hunting community for the last 100 years.
What's wrong with keeping wolves at lower levels so as to provide for more opportunities for hunters?

Half million cheeseheads take to the woods with guns and bows in Wisconsin they dont need wolves to do the job. They will get it done

Half million cheeseheads take to the woods with guns and bows in Wisconsin they dont need wolves to do the job. They will get it done

Right, and they still cant control the deer because about 400,000 cheeseheads cant make it past the first bar, strip club, or fish fry on the way to their tree stand.

I've deer hunted 10 years in the Midwest both wolf country and non wolf country each. If your area can support wolves and you don't have them, it's worth getting them from a prey-management perspective. They prevent overpopulation on areas that don't get sufficient human hunting pressure, and reduce disease outbreaks. I don't buy the we take the place of wolves, so we don't need them argument. They do a far better job of population management than humans do due to our bureaucracy. I'm also a big proponent of wolf hunting. In a perfect world we could all buy a cheap OTC wolf tag in every state every year. Yeah that's more tags than wolves but they are so wary I doubt hunters would put much of a dent in their population so long as we're not shooting them from aircraft, at night, with hounds or bait. The main trouble is there is so much opposition from the wolf huggers that wolf hunting gets so restricted that no one wants new wolves in an area knowing they are going to be untouchable.

Yeah go ahead and mock the bible quote but there is still an important principle behind it, which is humans are by far the most influential/powerful of all the earth's species, and it's our job to manage the natural world to have functioning ecosystems in the face of our own pollution and encroachment - Letting it manage itself is totally unrealistic whether that's wolf/deer/livestock dynamics or just about anything else.
So with your logic that wolves do a better job at managing species... Do wolves stop killing when populations are low? Do they manage the number of each gender killed? You can't say wolves do a better job, 5 guys with guns who went out and shot deer all day long and never stop until they're all gone is what wolves do. Wolves don't pay license fees to harvest deer or elk. I can't see the wolves doing a better job than humans. They've proven that they don't do a better job countless times.

So with your logic that wolves do a better job at managing species... Do wolves stop killing when populations are low? Do they manage the number of each gender killed? You can't say wolves do a better job, 5 guys with guns who went out and shot deer all day long and never stop until they're all gone is what wolves do. Wolves don't pay license fees to harvest deer or elk. I can't see the wolves doing a better job than humans. They've proven that they don't do a better job countless times.

What a load of BS...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back