More deer killed by wolves than hunters in some Wisconsin counties

Pro tip...whining on a hunting board isn't going to change wolf management in MN.

Get off your butt and do something about it...just like MT, ID, and WY had to do.
But complaining to me about my opinion will have an impact? I did my part when we could hunt and trap them. Then that got taken away again. What more can someone do?

Number of tags doesn't alwaus dictate populations. We could shoot unlimited deer around here this year, doesn't mean there's a bunch of them. It means cwd is here and they want a larger sample. If memory serves, isn't Wyoming the state with the worst CWD in it?
Look at the elk populations in WY and MT in 1994...look at where they are now.

You'll see how dumb your statements are when you find that data...aint hard to find.

But complaining to me about my opinion will have an impact? I did my part when we could hunt and trap them. Then that got taken away again. What more can someone do?

How many wolves did you get? Any pics?

Buzz nobody even knows what point ur trying to make? Are you for hunting and managing wolves or not? Are you with the jack off judges or not?
Do you believe the conservationists and biologists or not?
Do you think every last cervidae is doomed without management?

I think wolf hunting should be legal and regulated just like every other game animal were legally able to pursue.
I also believe some of the courts deciding on these issues are effed and sideways as u can get.
I also believe people put double rainbows or double devil horns over wolves just like wild horses and emotions guide their opinions. Which makes the wolf conversation even more worthless and taxpayer wolf studies more worthless yet.

One thing is for sure on this thread buzz is wild N' out. Therefore I automatically know it's about wolves without even reading the title. The button has been pushed.

Back to the sidelines. I'll read the insults in the morning. 😁👍

Why can’t threads like this pop off when I’m at my desk trying to kill time, instead of when I’m in bed trying to sleep when I definitely shouldn’t be looking at my phone

Just an FYI. There are a lot of new guys on this forum that weren’t around when MT, ID and WY were getting delisted. Lots of good guys on this forum were waist deep in the wolf battle working to get them delisted.

So while this is new to some it’s old hat to many.

Buzz was one of many fighting the fight.

carry on

Look at the elk populations in WY and MT in 1994...look at where they are now.

You'll see how dumb your statements are when you find that data...aint hard to find.
Buzz, many of the areas of Montana that have high numbers of elk also dont have wolves.

Wolves need to be managed in the midwest just as much as they need to be managed in the west. The difference is that we can't shoot wolves yet. They had a season for 1 or 2 years awhile ago but shut it down pretty quick. Hunters are managing species. Wolves aren't needed to provide control over numbers like they once were. Wolves don't care if theres 1 deer left on earth or 1,000,000. They will kill them if they're hungry. That being said, is there a place for them in the midwest? In my opinion, no. Hunters have taken their role in management and have done better. We had a pack of 8 wolves that moved into our area around brainard. Deer went from abundant, to almost gone completely. Deer hunting went from being able to kill a deer or two a year to being lucky to see a deer track for about 3 years. Then one year something happened and we never saw wolf scat or deer kills anymore. Not sure if the neighbors took matters into their own hands or if the wolves moved out to a different herd to wipe out but we're finally recovering and have a healthy herd again. Just like clockwork, the wolf sign is starting to show up again now.
Do wolves have a place in the midwest? Are joking? Your campaigning for the extermination of an animal from it's natural habitat so you can have an easier time hunting. Your exactly what the antis say we are.

The title of the article states that "wolves kill more deer than hunters in 2019". This is unequivocally false. The title of this thread claims wolves kill more deer than hunters in certain counties. This is also false. If the author of the article wanted to be taken seriously they wouldn't have made such a broad claim when the reality is wolves only killed more deer in four counties than did hunters during ONLY the 9 day gun season. Unfortunately, the author makes factual statements within the article, but he loses his ability to seem unbiased and objective by using a blatantly false and likely purposefully misleading title and through his selective use of harvest data within the article.

The total deer harvest by hunters counting the 9 day gun season, archery season, crossbow season, muzzleloader season, and december antlerless seasons for these four counties vs. estimated wolf harvest looks like this.

Ashland: 1276 deer harvested (700 in the 9 day rifle season, 139 in the archery season, 327 in the crossbow season, 37 in the youth season, 64 in the muzzleloader season, and 9 in the December antlerless season) vs 900 estimated wolf kills.

I'm not going to break down the rest but the total harvest by ALL DEER HUNTERS on the DNR website is as follows:

Iron: 517 deer harvested vs 400 estimated wolf kills.

Douglas: 2913 deer harvested vs 2260 estimated wolf kills.

Forest: 1158 deer harvested vs. 820 estimated wolf kills.

So no, as a matter of fact, wolves did not kill more deer than hunters in any county in Wisconsin in 2019. I don't even know about any potential tribal hunting taking place in those counties, that may or may not be another source of hunter harvest of deer in those counties. Perhaps a Wisconsin hunter on this thread could enlighten us on whether any tribal hunting takes place in those counties.

I doubt any of us oppose scientifically sound wolf management by the states, but parading around articles with incredibly misleading titles such as this does not serve us well. We should be honest and make factual arguments for state control. This article is not that. The claim in the title that wolves killed more deer than hunters, which any reasonable person would define as all deer hunters, does not stand up to five minutes of scrutiny.

Last edited:
This was a hot button in the west for yrs and now moving east
I have a friend in Idaho that was involved a bit in pollitics back then and if I remember right the folks in those states vote no for reintroduction and the fed pressured and did it anyway IMO they didnt have that power
The problem as I see it people that can make these rules and many like it have no Idea about what happens in nature AND it seems they take us out of nature as we are not part of the checks and ballance of the world we live in
I think wolves are a neat animal and would love to see some on one of my trips ,And would also love to have one in my game room next to the foxes ,coyotes, and bobcats Ive harvested

Do wolves have a place in the midwest? Are joking? Your campaigning for the extermination of an animal from it's natural habitat so you can have an easier time hunting. Your exactly what the antis say we are.
Wolves need to be managed. Like I've said how many times. Read the first line of the post you quoted. Not sure if I can be any more clear. I don't recall calling for extermination of the species.
Read what I wrote, not what you want to hear. There's room for them, just not a lot of room.

Wolves need to be managed. Like I've said how many times. Read the first line of the post you quoted. Not sure if I can be any more clear. I don't recall calling for extermination of the species.
Read what I wrote, not what you want to hear. There's room for them, just not a lot of room.

You said there is no place for wolves in the Midwest. To me that sounds like you’re in favor of extermination. That’s a tough argument when they’ve been present here, continuously, for longer than humans have.

It amazes me when hunters in MN argue that wolves are ruining deer hunting in areas wolves have been forever, but deer are relatively new to the landscape. The deer moved into wolf territory, not vice versa.

This was a hot button in the west for yrs and now moving east
I have a friend in Idaho that was involved a bit in pollitics back then and if I remember right the folks in those states vote no for reintroduction and the fed pressured and did it anyway IMO they didnt have that power
The problem as I see it people that can make these rules and many like it have no Idea about what happens in nature AND it seems they take us out of nature as we are not part of the checks and ballance of the world we live in
I think wolves are a neat animal and would love to see some on one of my trips ,And would also love to have one in my game room next to the foxes ,coyotes, and bobcats Ive harvested

Tell me more about that "vote" on the wolf issue in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming...

The one thing cool about wolves, is the fairy tales that come with them...and no, not little red riding hood.

You said there is no place for wolves in the Midwest. To me that sounds like you’re in favor of extermination. That’s a tough argument when they’ve been present here, continuously, for longer than humans have.

It amazes me when hunters in MN argue that wolves are ruining deer hunting in areas wolves have been forever, but deer are relatively new to the landscape. The deer moved into wolf territory, not vice versa.
Wolves have been forever, but the numbers of hunters haven't. So what do you enjoy more, wolves or hunting? The argument of wolf advocates saying they've always been here is a pointless argument since humans haven't always been here. Things change, everyone knows that.

For someone who wants wolves, you ought to never complain about animal numbers and not being able to pull a tag. Wolves are eating tags you could've drawn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back