More CWD Confirmed in Texas

One of the biggest dangers of the privatization of wildlife! I wonder even if we have a CWD explosion in wild deer pops, would the special interests in TX still prevail in keeping deer farms around? Probably... But I fear we'll find out soon enough.

There is enough horsepower in the economic engine of deer breeding to push it through almost anything in this state. I at least hope that TPWD can stay on top of the transfer of deer from one pen site to another.

One of the biggest dangers of the privatization of wildlife! I wonder even if we have a CWD explosion in wild deer pops, would the special interests in TX still prevail in keeping deer farms around? Probably... But I fear we'll find out soon enough.

This is indeed a problem, BUT I believe that it has always been around and has become more obvious because of all of the idiots farming deer. It is no big deal. It will run its course and those rat white-tailed deer come back like gang busters. I don't think that it is ever as bad in wild herds as people try to make it out to be.

It is a panic about something that you cannot control anyway-unless you want to wipe out all deer and that won't happen.

I don't think we are at the point of panic yet. I do think that there are some small things that can be done to limit moving deer around the state. We should rely on the experts of CWD to provide direction and not get caught up in every headline. We should be aware of those headlines though.

Don't panic. We've been living and hunting with CWD for many years now. It has not decimated herds and may prove troublesome for captive whitetails but will not knock back wild deer herds. I have no doubt I have eaten a positive CWD animal only because of where we live and hunt, and have no issues. We personally knew one of the foremost scientist studying it before she died and she had no qualms about eating positive testing animals. Just don't eat sickly looking ones.

when CWD was found in Wisconsin and became a "huge" deal about 17 years ago, the only thing that decimated the deer herds were hunters who were allowed to hunt almost year round and kill as many deer as they wanted per the DNRs advice. And they did. Guys who practiced good deer management on their leases and private land shot everything that moved. After a year of that we saw huge reduction in deer and quality of bucks around for a few years. it made the insurance companies happy and did nothing to eradicate CWD. They tested the animals at check in stations and we were told the deer that tested positive we perfectly safe to eat. Just do not eat the Brain or spinal cord was all they said. CWD isn't good but I don't know its that big of a deal. Until your DNR screws up and lets hunters ruin their own deer herd like they did in Wisconsin.

I know a lot of blame is put on the captive deer herds for spread of disease. but I'd think all the baiting/mineral licks and feeding they do in states like Texas cannot help the problem. maybe they should look at regulating that a bit to see if it helps.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back