Moose rut timing

huntin24/7

I’m going to be going on a moose hunt I won in BC that was scheduled to be fall 2024 sept 25-Oct 2. There was a cancellation and I can go this year sept 17-24 if I choose to take it. I’m just curious about opinions from guys who’ve hunted moose how these dates compare as far as timing the rut and hunting moose in general during these timeframes and finding a good bull. In all likelihood, I’ll probably never get a chance to hunt moose besides this opportunity and would like opinions from those who know moose hunting. Thanks.

I'd take whichever fits your schedule the best. If you want to go this year, go. If you have other irons in the fire and want to wait until 2024, wait. Both dates should provide some rut action. Have you asked the outfitter for their thoughts? My moose hunting experience is limited to Montana and Idaho, but I'd feel pretty good about either of those timeframes.

I'd take whichever fits your schedule the best. If you want to go this year, go. If you have other irons in the fire and want to wait until 2024, wait. Both dates should provide some rut action. Have you asked the outfitter for their thoughts? My moose hunting experience is limited to Montana and Idaho, but I'd feel pretty good about either of those timeframes.
I haven’t asked yet, but I plan to. I don’t think this outfitter would be dishonest, but there’s always potential for an outfitter to not be 100% truthful in order to book all their hunts. I appreciate your opinion.

I can't comment on BC but it seems that Sept 25-2 would be peak rut in Montana. Again I have no idea about BC...possibly it would be earlier. Man I really need to research BC

Last edited:
I have seen a decent amount of moose rutting activity in North Idaho starting around Sept 20. Multiple nights of waking up to bulls grunting around our elk hunting camp.

I haven’t asked yet, but I plan to. I don’t think this outfitter would be dishonest, but there’s always potential for an outfitter to not be 100% truthful in order to book all their hunts. I appreciate your opinion.
100%. I was thinking that, but didn't type it. I would read the response and go from there. If they are trying to sway you one way or the other, you'll know. It would make sense, from a business standpoint, for him to fill this year first. But, again, I think both of those dates are great. Do what works best for you and good luck! Moose are fun!

Mid-late September +/- a week, that's about as accurate as it gets.

Ultimately, weather plays a big part of it. I've shot one rutted bull on 10 September and two the second week of October. I've also helped two other people get moose and both tags were filled the first two weeks of October with no luck during the rut.

Go whenever it works for your schedule, the moose will do moose things when they feel like doing moose things. Have fun.

I’m pretty torn because I would suspect that most years the later dates would be a bit better, but I also know that nothing is guaranteed by waiting and with everything going on in the world right now, I may be better off trying to make this year work.

Can you look up harvest stats for the area? Look at time of kill?

The end of Sept is pretty magic in AK, so much so most areas are closed to hunting by that time to keep from overharvesting the bulls.

They are harder to call in later in the rut, in my experience, but they are way more active.

Can you look up harvest stats for the area? Look at time of kill?

The end of Sept is pretty magic in AK, so much so most areas are closed to hunting by that time to keep from overharvesting the bulls.

They are harder to call in later in the rut, in my experience, but they are way more active.
I’d have to see if I’m able to obtain that info somehow. From what I’m told, the September dates are good dates to sit mineral licks and wait for bulls checking cows. I was originally told that the later dates were the prime dates. I’ve had friends tell me that both are good dates. Tough decision for sure.

I’ve called bull in around early October. If it’s hot be out early and find the cool zones and creeks, north side ridges. Stay high for glassing and call the creeks and boggy areas.

I've hunted Northern BC a handful of times, and guided years ago around Mackenzie, BC. I'd take the 2024 dates without question personally if you want good rut action.

I've hunted the first 10 days of October on a fly in hunt in the far reaches of Northern BC. It was great timing and we killed 2 bulls at camp around the 6-8th of Oct.

No question for me out of the two. Even down in southern AB/BC I'd say I prefer the last few days of Sept and into the first bit of Oct.

Last edited:
My personal experience is the moose rut has been last week of September, first week of October. Not that I'm an expert moose hunter but I spend a fair amount of time chasing them with a camera or playing with them while elk hunting...

Thanks guys. I ended up taking the 2024 later dates. Drawing a WY elk tag this fall that took 11 years to draw helped a little bit with that decision too. Looking forward to chasing some moose next year.

I can't comment on BC but it seems that Sept 25-2 would be peak rut in Montana. Again I have no idea about BC...possibly it would be earlier. Man I really need to research BC
I agree 9/25-10/10 is peak in MT, and CO for Shiras. I've never been to BC but I can't imagine it's to far off of that. I was in Alberta one time on 10/12 and we called in 3 bulls in 5 min. I'm sure weather and moon phase will play a bit of a role and my experience with moose is temp. Is a big deal those cloudy 40 something degree days in early Oct. are really prime.

I’d take the Sept 25 - Oct. 2. I hunted twice in northern BC in those time frames. Weather can be a factor if it’s warm, hence the later is better.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back