Moose Mounts

I asked about that. He said usually only for elk, and Alaskan sized moose. Stuff that gets too wide for doorways.
a little undecided for now..but being on 43” wide, I feel like I may be able to wiggle it through a door ok 🤷🏻‍♂️
I killed him in Newfoundland, dont remember how wide he is luckily I had a double door to the room he is in, took 3 of us to hang him, like Brownbear said they are a pain to move would be alot easier if I could remove the horns. I havent even had him measured due to they said I would have to take it off the wall.

I asked about that. He said usually only for elk, and Alaskan sized moose. Stuff that gets too wide for doorways.
a little undecided for now..but being on 43” wide, I feel like I may be able to wiggle it through a door ok 🤷🏻‍♂️
The width is not usually the problem with moose mounts. It's the distance from the wall. When you pick a style make sure you ask the taxidermist how far out into the room the form projects. Needs to be less than your doorway width or may be problems, especially if doorway is at or near a corner of the room. That info should be in the catalogue from taxidermy supplier. E.g. the head erect downturned nose sticks out less than semi-sneak.

Another vote for European mounts. My dad got a really nice moose a couple years ago. He wanted to do a Euro mount and I convinced him to do a shoulder mount. I shot a smaller moose the following year and did a Euro mount on mine. I like my mount a lot better and feel bad that I convinced him to do the shoulder mount.

Mitch, that is a whopper. Must be better than sixty inches. Where did you get him? Alaska or Canada? I am finishing up a client's cap mount today that's 57" and it sure looks smaller than yours. I'm guessing you've hung it with Skull Hooker? I make my own hangers. Skull Hookers stick too far out in the room. Moose euro mounted flat against the wall actually takes up surprisingly little space into the room, even the whoppers. Big elk racks are space consuming no matter what you do.
Yea believe it or not 68”. Came from AK last year. Best trip of my life. It’s on a skull hooker but I had to modify it to fit and it does stick out a ways. Maybe they hadn’t tried one that big haha. I was scared it was gonna fall on my kids or something. But now it’s good.

Yea believe it or not 68”. Came from AK last year. Best trip of my life. It’s on a skull hooker but I had to modify it to fit and it does stick out a ways. Maybe they hadn’t tried one that big haha. I was scared it was gonna fall on my kids or something. But now it’s good.
Oh, I believe it. For a client I recently did a local shed mount on fake skull that was in that class. Antlers so heavy they were breaking the plastic skull material. It went on a plaque and mounts pretty much flat to the wall. I had to build an extra beefy hanger for the back of the plaque. And it definitely hangs on a stud!20200315_200821.jpg

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but anyone have thoughts on cow moose taxidermy? I have a Maine cow tag and still haven't fully committed to doing a shoulder mount if I wind up connecting. I may not get another shot at moose so I want to have something to remember the hunt. I plan on doing a euro mount with the skull regardless. Any input is appreciated.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but anyone have thoughts on cow moose taxidermy? I have a Maine cow tag and still haven't fully committed to doing a shoulder mount if I wind up connecting. I may not get another shot at moose so I want to have something to remember the hunt. I plan on doing a euro mount with the skull regardless. Any input is appreciated.
I'm just lurking here, but no reason you couldn't. I work for a taxidermist and I'm pretty sure McKenzie had a cow moose form. Probably would be a lot easier to get through the door than a bull.

Here's an idea for you. Have the front feet mounted for a gun rack. I had these mounted in 1980. They sat in the cedar chest until last year. Found the plank of knotty bull pine in the shelving pile at Home Depot. The edging is simply oak corner moulding that I stained Minwax light walnut. The plank is stained with Minwax golden pecan. Makes a nice contrast. Covered it with semigloss Varathane Diamond (latex).

Interesting story about those feet. A fresh snow fell during the night and I hit a lone track shortly after heading up the mountain. It was end of the season and bulls only. The track was not very big and not back on "dew claws". If it was a bull it would have to be a spike. But an animal that size would likely be looking for a herd. So I stuck with it. Less than hour later I heard something above me. An elk was moving in the timber walking away from me up the nearly vertical slope about sixty yards away but I couldn't see any horns. I kept the 3X Weaver on it and suddenly two white things appeared above its head. Aimed for his back and squeezed off. It disappeared. I stood stone still for perhaps ten minutes. No way could that elk get out of there without me hearing it. Must be down. I started up the mountain. Stepped up to a huge erratic boulder perched precariously on the steep pitch and took a breather. Looked up and about soiled myself. A huge rack was laying on its side. I looked around carefully. Figured I'd done it again and killed two elk with one shot like I did the year before. That spike must be down somewhere. Nope. Checked the tracks and this was the "young one" I'd been following. It was a beautiful sight. The bull had a 49" span 6x6 and was laying like he'd just fallen asleep. No bloody mess (turns out I hit him where skull joins the neck). Early morning sun was just clearing the clouds and lit him up in the clean snow. I'll never forget that sight. He was an absolutely huge body bull ... with little feet. Go figure. Tied him up to dress him. Then kicked him loose. He went end over end the first ten yards then slid another fifteen before resting against a small tree. Got the bull turned around and headed down the ridge. As he started moving again the third point on right antler hooked my wool pants and pitched me on top. Away we went! It was a wild ride for about another thirty yards until he piled into another tree. I had the old Springfield cross slung on my back. It got slammed into the same antler and badly gouged the wood. Scar is still there. Too deep to steam out. The intention was to drag the bull down to where my horses could get to it. But by the end of the day ... a very LONG day ... I managed to get him to an old logging skid road at the base of the mountain and loaded whole in the back of the stock truck.
20201014_012239.jpg1980 bull.JPG20201014_021436.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks RobertD and Ontario Hunter for your replies! I like the feet/hoof gun rack idea as well, but may adapt to a hat rack using all four?
Hmm. A hall tree is a good idea. Not sure about the hind legs though. I'm sure the taxidermist could figure out something. It's also a very affordable option. Not much involved with either taxidermy or carpentry. And something useful too. I'm saving a couple of feet from this year's elk and make one!

DIY Mount
One for the cabin.
It came out darker than I preferred, but still awesome!

View attachment 158059View attachment 158060
What did you put on it? Did you stain the antlers or did the varnish darken them that much? I have had good success chemically stripping old yellowed varnish from deer racks. PM me if you're interested in trying it and I can give you some tips. In the future for the antlers I would suggest either Johnson's paste wax or one light coat of Varathane Diamond finish in SATIN. The Diamond finish is latex base and almost no yellowing. One coat will soak into the bone and hardly be noticeable, especially the dull satin finish. I either use oil on wood plaques or Diamond semigloss. Here's my dad's deer rack (bortom) from 1955 that was very badly yellowed. It cleaned up well. Top rack is mine from 1985. It was mounted then and has had nothing but paste wax.
20201009_101843.jpg

What did you put on it? Did you stain the antlers or did the varnish darken them that much? I have had good success chemically stripping old yellowed varnish from deer racks. PM me if you're interested in trying it and I can give you some tips. In the future for the antlers I would suggest either Johnson's paste wax or one light coat of Varathane Diamond finish in SATIN. The Diamond finish is latex base and almost no yellowing. One coat will soak into the bone and hardly be noticeable, especially the dull satin finish. I either use oil on wood plaques or Diamond semigloss. Here's my dad's deer rack (bortom) from 1955 that was very badly yellowed. It cleaned up well. Top rack is mine from 1985. It was mounted then and has had nothing but paste wax.
View attachment 158119
I used a walnut stain. Darker than I preferred, but still awesome!
I have used Diamond shine finish, water base, quite a bit for wood projects.
Good tips.

I used a walnut stain. Darker than I preferred, but still awesome!
I have used Diamond shine finish, water base, quite a bit for wood projects.
Good tips.
Your welcome. For touching up antlers we use Minwax "Provincial" oil stain. Sometimes for deep scratches with very white bone I'll try "Medium Walnut" stain, but usually have to use spot of paint to cover it up. At some point if you decide to try lightening your rack, strip a spot on the back and see what happens. I suspect the stain may come out. Antler doesn't seem to absorb it very well. That really is a spectacular rack. Must be a great story there. Do you have a photo?

Posted in "After the shot" as well, but thought it may be more noticed here.

I Was lucky enough to fill my Montana Moose tag on 10/5.
Antlers are at the taxidermist, and looking for ideas on how to mount him.
I have a pretty good idea in my head of what I want, but maybe something else will stand out to me.

Lets see what ya got!
Congrats! Do you have a pic of your moose? What area of the state were you in?

That really is a spectacular rack. Must be a great story there. Do you have a photo?
60 inch moose a.JPG60 inch moose.JPG
The story

The morning was cold, grey overcast, and wet. Arriving at my spotting location, I tightened up the rain gear and adjusted my hat so the water drops rolled off the brim and not down my neck. Visibility was very poor, with dense fog and mist blowing in layers across the hill sides. I sat and waited for day light to come.
Clouds slowly rolled across the valley. Small openings in the ground fog allowed a brief glimpse into the trees and brush below. The sky was turning a lighter grey. Almost an hour had past when I spotted a bull. Roughly a mile from my position, he faded into foggy mist, before I could size him up. Several minutes passed until the fog cleared again. I located the bull and quickly had my scope on him. The moose was raking and tearing brush with a beautiful display of large antlers. He started walking with a slow rocking of antlers side to side. That’s when I saw the second bull, and once again the scene was lost to blowing grey mist. Each Moose had the potential to be legal. Beautiful racks with lots of swords and spikes! Nearly one hundred yards apart, these bulls were about to come together. The fog blew in again. Minutes passed and a hole opened in the grey. The two bulls were very close to each other. The first with antlers up, I could see two brow tines on the left. As he moved I confirmed two brows on the right. Game rules for this area require four or more brow tines on at least one side of the antlers. The challenger came in and the fight was on! The moose pushed against each other, and the sound of antlers locking together was echoing up the hill side. Fog rolled in and again they were lost in a sea of grey. I could hear them clacking antlers. The second bull I did not have chance to determine legal or not. He appeared slightly smaller, antler wise, to the first bull. His rack did not seem as tall. The first bull could be over 50 inch wide, and therefore legal, but I’d have to get a better look to be sure. It got quite. The wind blowing swirling mists over the hill side. I could hear the wind and nothing else. It was cold, but the rain had stopped. I stood up to move around and warm up. Areas of fog were lifting, just not where I needed to look. Should these bulls disappear this morning, it makes a great first day. I really don’t want to shoot a moose on the first day. I have ten days of camping. I like getting up before day break, crisp air, hot coffee and love to hike, explore, spot, search for game. I enjoy the chase!
The fog lifted. I glassed the area where the bulls had been. Nothing! Using my scope, I peered deeper into the surrounding brush. No moose. Very quite, nothing moving. At least the clouds were lifting, and fog dissipating. I glassed my entire surroundings. The brush, full of fall color: reds, yellow, orange, green, brown. Not much going on now.
I decided to hike down the hillside. Several hundred yards out, the bull appears, sky lined on a ridge top. Four brow tines on one side! Over that ridge is very thick trees and brush. I let out a loud cow call. He looked my direction. Pulled a paper towel out of my pocket and held it high in my hand. We stood there fifteen minutes. A stand off. I decided to sneak closer, not expecting to see him again. After busting brush and gullies, ridges, I very slowly crested the one, the bull was last seen. Day light is good, fog has lifted. Everything is quite, but for some cackling ravens. Within five minutes, a small paddle bull, in full velvet, comes strolling down the hill. Seems like a good time to practice bull grunts. With that eighty yards to my left, a great bull rises from his bed. Velvet strips hanging from antler tips. My guy! I’m not where I need to be. Thrashing brush with the butt of my rifle, while staying low, I walked to a better position. One shot, moose down on the first day of a ten day trip. 60" 4 x 4

60 inch moose b.JPG60 inch moose c.jpg

This was an early season hunt, antlers just out of velvet.

View attachment 158644View attachment 158645
The story

The morning was cold, grey overcast, and wet. Arriving at my spotting location, I tightened up the rain gear and adjusted my hat so the water drops rolled off the brim and not down my neck. Visibility was very poor, with dense fog and mist blowing in layers across the hill sides. I sat and waited for day light to come.
Clouds slowly rolled across the valley. Small openings in the ground fog allowed a brief glimpse into the trees and brush below. The sky was turning a lighter grey. Almost an hour had past when I spotted a bull. Roughly a mile from my position, he faded into foggy mist, before I could size him up. Several minutes passed until the fog cleared again. I located the bull and quickly had my scope on him. The moose was raking and tearing brush with a beautiful display of large antlers. He started walking with a slow rocking of antlers side to side. That’s when I saw the second bull, and once again the scene was lost to blowing grey mist. Each Moose had the potential to be legal. Beautiful racks with lots of swords and spikes! Nearly one hundred yards apart, these bulls were about to come together. The fog blew in again. Minutes passed and a hole opened in the grey. The two bulls were very close to each other. The first with antlers up, I could see two brow tines on the left. As he moved I confirmed two brows on the right. Game rules for this area require four or more brow tines on at least one side of the antlers. The challenger came in and the fight was on! The moose pushed against each other, and the sound of antlers locking together was echoing up the hill side. Fog rolled in and again they were lost in a sea of grey. I could hear them clacking antlers. The second bull I did not have chance to determine legal or not. He appeared slightly smaller, antler wise, to the first bull. His rack did not seem as tall. The first bull could be over 50 inch wide, and therefore legal, but I’d have to get a better look to be sure. It got quite. The wind blowing swirling mists over the hill side. I could hear the wind and nothing else. It was cold, but the rain had stopped. I stood up to move around and warm up. Areas of fog were lifting, just not where I needed to look. Should these bulls disappear this morning, it makes a great first day. I really don’t want to shoot a moose on the first day. I have ten days of camping. I like getting up before day break, crisp air, hot coffee and love to hike, explore, spot, search for game. I enjoy the chase!
The fog lifted. I glassed the area where the bulls had been. Nothing! Using my scope, I peered deeper into the surrounding brush. No moose. Very quite, nothing moving. At least the clouds were lifting, and fog dissipating. I glassed my entire surroundings. The brush, full of fall color: reds, yellow, orange, green, brown. Not much going on now.
I decided to hike down the hillside. Several hundred yards out, the bull appears, sky lined on a ridge top. Four brow tines on one side! Over that ridge is very thick trees and brush. I let out a loud cow call. He looked my direction. Pulled a paper towel out of my pocket and held it high in my hand. We stood there fifteen minutes. A stand off. I decided to sneak closer, not expecting to see him again. After busting brush and gullies, ridges, I very slowly crested the one, the bull was last seen. Day light is good, fog has lifted. Everything is quite, but for some cackling ravens. Within five minutes, a small paddle bull, in full velvet, comes strolling down the hill. Seems like a good time to practice bull grunts. With that eighty yards to my left, a great bull rises from his bed. Velvet strips hanging from antler tips. My guy! I’m not where I need to be. Thrashing brush with the butt of my rifle, while staying low, I walked to a better position. One shot, moose down on the first day of a ten day trip. 60" 4 x 4

View attachment 158646View attachment 158647

This was an early season hunt, antlers just out of velvet.
Thanks for taking the time for the write up.

Back