Moose Mounts

CBender09

Posted in "After the shot" as well, but thought it may be more noticed here.

I Was lucky enough to fill my Montana Moose tag on 10/5.
Antlers are at the taxidermist, and looking for ideas on how to mount him.
I have a pretty good idea in my head of what I want, but maybe something else will stand out to me.

Lets see what ya got!

They take up a LOT of room so unless you live in Buckingham Palace, the straight on pose is most space economical. Looking right or left requires mounting further from the wall. A sneak pose drops the nose further into living space. Personally, I don't care for moose shoulder mounts. They're just not that attractive. We are in the taxidermy business the last two years and though this is moose country, only had one shoulder mount come in (an American). Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) the cape was no good. Not sure who was at fault but we found him a much prettier one out of Edmonton at no cost. Then talking to client I learned they planned to hang it in the dining room. He had no concept of the area needed to display a moose shoulder mount. When I gave him the measurements he quickly opted for a cap mount. I prefer moose euro mounts. They are interesting different shape and actually take up less space than a big bull elk cap or euro mount. A lot less space! Here's a shed mount I did on a fake skull. A real dandy. And a "Seagrams Crown Royal" cap mount for another client (goat is in for repairs). Three guys shot it and ends of casings from each gun are inletted into bottom of the plaque: 300 Win, 30-06, and 303 Brit. Perhaps they should have given it a chance to fall over? (Where are those smileys?)20200315_200821.jpg20200313_193800.jpg

Last edited:
Might have to do a euro on my next moose
Buy a metal garbage can at Canadian Tire. Cut notches on both sides so horns will drop down but not enough to let nose touch the bottom. Use high temp silicon seal (find it in auto section) to seal up rivets and cracks where garbage can handles are attached. Skin, flesh, and remove brain. Drop in the garbage can, fill with as much water as possible, put lid on garbage can, and cook over propane turkey roasting burner. Simmer just at or below boiling. Periodically remove skull and peel off cooked flesh with wire brush, scalpel/knife, and or pressure washer. Change water when it gets greasy. For last bath add a cup of Dawn dish soap. Get the skull clean and give me a jingle for peroxide whitening instructions. I'm tending to a fine simmering moose skull as I write this.

Last edited:
I definitely like the naked look. Seems clients do too. Sometimes takes some adjusting. Hanging an elk with jaw against the wall pitches the royal points out into the room. I made custom hangers for each of my African animals to keep the horns fairly vertical and teeth off the wallpaper. The buffalo looked very goofy mounted flat to the wall. I created this discreet hanger from pecan stained pine to match woodwork in the rest of the kitchen. I don't care for the adjustable "Hooker" euro mounts. Too far away from the wall.20200421_040257.jpg20200421_040044.jpg20200327_133529.jpg20200407_115649.jpg20201008_114835.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like your taxidermist put that moose skull on an elk plaque. I'm sure of it. Way too short. You can order the correct one from Mackenzie cheaper than I can buy the wood. They are good quality. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you instructions on how to center skull before drilling the plaque. There's a trick to that. Also NEVER use the little nails that come in picture mounting hanger kits to hang your plaques. They will pull loose with even a whitetail euro and skull gets broken falling on the floor. Drill out the holes in the hanger and use small screws to attach it to the plaque.

Looks like your taxidermist put that moose skull on an elk plaque. I'm sure of it. Way too short. You can order the correct one from Mackenzie cheaper than I can buy the wood. They are good quality. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you instructions on how to center skull before drilling the plaque. There's a trick to that. Also NEVER use the little nails that come in picture mounting hanger kits to hang your plaques. They will pull loose with even a whitetail euro and skull gets broken falling on the floor. Drill out the holes in the hanger and use small screws to attach it to the plaque.
I actually did it myself. That was the biggest plaque I could find at the time and didn't want to make one. It is a tad short, but I feel it doesn't take anything away from the skull itself.

I actually did it myself. That was the biggest plaque I could find at the time and didn't want to make one. It is a tad short, but I feel it doesn't take anything away from the skull itself.
It's certainly okay as is. But if you decide to upgrade I'd be happy to help you. I have the shop equipment to make them for clients but I can't do it for what MacKenzie sells them.

and ship to Alberta? shipping costs might be the factor.
I'm forty minutes from the border. I will be going across for a shipment of taxidermy supplies next week or so. I can forward on to you from here. Not a real heavy or bulky item so shipping to you from here shouldn't be terribly bad. Check their website. I seem to recall walnut moose euro plaque is about sixty bucks US. Exchange and HST added of course.

and ship to Alberta? shipping costs might be the factor.
I'm forty minutes from the border. We have our taxidermy supplies shipped to a warehouse there and I bring them through customs. Will be picking up a shipment in the next week or so. Shipping to you from here shouldn't be too bad. The 3/4" thick plaques 27" long are $44 US + HST and exchange. We can absorb US shipping ... this time.

I'm forty minutes from the border. We have our taxidermy supplies shipped to a warehouse there and I bring them through customs. Will be picking up a shipment in the next week or so. Shipping to you from here shouldn't be too bad. The 3/4" thick plaques 27" long are $44 US + HST and exchange. We can absorb US shipping ... this time.
Sorry for double post. First one went into Twilight Zone for a bit.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back