Moose - Lets see em!

2017 Alaska Moose - Unguided

37137062135_127be6b618_b.jpg

I was invited to Ak. in 2008 and was fortunate to harvest a nice bull (56 inch old bull)with my black widow recurve. Don’t have any pics as they were on an old computer that went away. My host from 2009 hunt in the same area. He was solo. Think he said it was a 7 yard shot.

Attachments

• 67BDE757-6033-4111-85E4-03BFB6C95290.jpeg
    67BDE757-6033-4111-85E4-03BFB6C95290.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 86
This thread has me PUMPED! Dad, my Uncle and I are headed to Alaska on Sept 2nd for our first moose hunt. I can't even try to explain my excitement!!

Where are you going exactly and how/with what outfitter, guide, plane company, or whatever? Details!?!

I was invited to Ak. in 2008 and was fortunate to harvest a nice bull (56 inch old bull)with my black widow recurve. Don’t have any pics as they were on an old computer that went away. My host from 2009 hunt in the same area. He was solo. Think he said it was a 7 yard shot.
Very nice. Mind sharing a photo of your BW Recurve? They're very close to me and I've always thought they've made beautiful bows.

My moose story started great almost 40 years ago when I drew a Montana Shiras moose permit about 100 miles from my home. My hunting partner and I took my horses in and I killed a really old 50" bull.
sYhdaLTl.jpg

The next year one of my other hunting partners drew a moose permit in that same unit and he and I went in on opening morning and he shot a 49" bull that at that time was the 4th highest B&C scoring moose in Montana. Riding my horses in that morning we were half way up the trail, still in the dark, and we both realized that neither one of us brought a camera, so we didn't get any ground pictures of his moose.

Then in 1988 I drew a 2nd moose permit in that same unit. My moose hunting was delayed that year due to the forest fires of '88, and I didn't see any moose on my first trip into that unit. I went back in by myself with my horses and my Golden Retriever a couple of weeks later and found this 40" bull just 100 yards from my camp.

Kpx3m6Ll.jpg

I have continued applying for moose every year since then without success, and last year I went on a combination Woodland Caribou and Moose hunt in Newfoundland. We hunted hard for a week and didn't see any caribou and although we saw 4 bull moose, I didn't consider any of them mature enough to shoot. Maybe next year...

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back