Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Moose in Montana

NoKidsAfter40

This OP has been edited as I led with my chin asking for help without a proper introduction and back drop. I am adding a bit more color about me and my journey as to help folks understand that I’m not some weekend warrior with a checkbook and a trophy room. As one wise member told me- hindsight is 20/20. I am obviously a newbie to hunt talk and this kind of forum.
That said, I am an avid archer from Michigan. I’ve hunted predominantly with a stick and string since I could pull a bow back. For decades I have been building points and apply all over out west. My life’s journey is to successfully take the NA 29 big game animals with a stick and string. The Shiras Moose is the very last of the moose species to complete my moose slam. It is my 2021 goal to put my time in and find an exceptional moose. (I’m not discrediting moose as they are all special, I just think with time and effort and the options that this tag gives that I owe it to myself and others to find a great moose) Like many of you, I put my all into my hunts. No free lunches. I scout hard. I spend tons of time on pre-work and data collection. The taste of a tag sandwich is something I know well.
Given how special moose tags are I really was hoping to leverage a new resource as recommended by a close friend in hunt talk. Like the greenhorn I am, I skinned my knees to the bone on my OP.
My hope is that those who have read this thread give me a little grace and see the spirit of my ask as a hunter.

In order to keep the OP in tact it can be viewed below:
I wanted to reach out to those in the know as it relates to Moose in Montana. I have been blessed with a Montana Governors Moose tag for 2021 and am looking for a special moose. I have hunted Montana for 20+years. I know several nooks and crannies in the state and have come across some nice bull moose in the Region 2 Kootenai and Lolo. I have researched and plan to lay glass on the Red Rocks Lake Unit in the SW as well as the NW corner Lincoln county unit during my scouting trips. My research suggests Wolves have pounded the Region 1 and 2 moose and elk so I don’t want to waste precious time. What I am finding is every unit has the potential for a 150-160” or better moose but it comes down to knowing a guide, private owner, or a hunter who has an eye on one. My post is to get any insight or even connect with an outfitter/guide/ land owner/fellow hunter that is willing to help with any insight. I can hunt anytime, any unit, any weapon.....Any useful insight is helpful.(y)
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
NoKidsAfter40 said:
What I am finding is every unit has the potential for a 180” or better moose but it comes down to knowing a guide or hunter who has an eye on one.

You might be thinking of provinces in Canada, if you really think you will find a 180 moose...

Fatt finger gents. 160” moose. I’d take a 180. They are out there. Regardless, I’m not looking for average and while all are special, I’d like a shot at something top end given the flexibility the license gives me. It would be a shame not to reach for the stars here. Hence my post.

Or you could try actually scouting and be that hunter with his eyes on one.
welcome to HT
Tough crowd. I thought this might increase my ability to network and get on a good moose. Plenty of folks in the world that don’t like hunters. Amazes me how other hunters treat hunters sometimes. (n)

Last edited:
I do plan to lay glass on it. You could be that hunter that responds with something useful.
A response like that to someone would of gotten the backhand growing up.

How did you score the tag? Most places where you can get that kinda tag from usually have a good source of knowledge around the tag species.

NoKidsAfter40 said:
What I am finding is every unit has the potential for a 180” or better moose but it comes down to knowing a guide or hunter who has an eye on one.

You might be thinking of provinces in Canada, if you really think you will find a 180 moose...
Yeah. Fat finger. I’d love one like you shot Shrap. 160” is what I’d meant to type. 180” is a near state record. Not that I wouldn’t poke a hole in one given the chance. ;)

You lost me at- please tell me where there is a big moose so I don't have to hunt.
You didn’t read my post. I plan to hunt. Was looking for any insight from helpful guys/gals who know the state. Finding a good moose not an average moose is not easy given predation. I live in Michigan and don’t have months to scout. I am looking for help to know where to best spend my time. Again, another hater on this site. Pretty sad.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back