Moose Hunting Tips

WyoDoug- Pope &Young has a drawing May 14th and first prize is a moose hunt in Alberta (I think). Well worth $20 to have a chance.

As has been mentioned, drawing the tag is the hardest part. Given your handle, I'm assuming you are trying for a Wyoming Shiras moose. I was lucky in the Wyoming draw back when they had lots of moose and I'd say the hunting wasn't that hard. Once you find where they are at it's pretty easy to get close enough to take one. Their eye sight is not good and I found them to be not that spooky, especially where they have been around humans.
As has also been mentioned, packing one out is not for the "weak in heart"! So plan on having some help for sure.
Drawing anything these days seems to be the biggest challenge. Best of luck

I posted some post-draw suggestions for you over on your fee increase thread where you also asked for suggestions.

I know you want to hunt in an area you are familiar with, but, if you want to hunt moose, I would really suggest that you modify your application to choose a hunt area other than 38. The random odds for a bull tag aren’t what I consider good in any Wyoming hunt area but, in 38, they are just downright terrible. If you draw a tag in a new area, you would have several months to get to know the area before season.

Good luck.

I think you are over thinking it Doug. Moose don't necessarily require different tactics than deer or elk. Glass a lot. Check riparian areas. Ask other hunters if they've seen moose, since most likely they won't be hunting them. I've hunted moose in Wyoming a couple of times and maybe it was just the tags I had, but I wouldn't consider it a difficult hunt, especially if you aren't chasing a number. Hardest part is drawing a tag. Good luck.

- .145% odds of drawing one of the randoms for antlered
- 2.44% odds of drawing the cow tag on random.

Hate to break it to you doug but looking at points required unless your in your early 30s??? (doubtful white hair avatar) you will never draw bull tag on points. Cow tag could be drawn in next few years... if you ever want to hunt moose it would likely have to be a cow or a different unit atleast. Four guys out of the 2761 people who didnt draw on points (last year) got the tag so hopefully your one of them in 2022 but pro tip: if your odds start with a decimal point there not good! Good luck

Consider saving up (bypassing those bonus point fees and licenses will help) and go hunt in Newfoundland
or--Maine. Huge bulls in Maine and the cost is similar to Newfoundland, without the covid travel regulations ( either/or--approx 5000 )

if you double that amount, you could fly to Alaska and go on a "fly-in and float out" river rafting moose hunt.

I suggest showering, putting on your best underwear, stuff about $500 into your wallet and head to Vegas! If you win big, you could book a hunt in Alaska.
and if this works out for you then please come to the Yukon territory, Canada and choose between a fly into the interior and hunt them via horseback--or fly on to a river and hunt them while floating out---Huge Animals but so is the cost at approx 25000

Reactions: SL7
If you’re seeing good ID odds it probably means the moose hunting is poor. I’ve lived in some of the better Idaho moose units and the odds stink in those areas
Also, Idaho is not straight-forward with how non-resident odds are shown. You can do your own research but if hypothetically 2000 non-residents chase "up to 20 tags" of the 200 overall moose tags then the odds any non-resident gets a moose tag is 20/2000 so 1 in 100 or 1%. ID could run a draw with up to 10% of the tags allowed for non-residents and not a single tag go to a non-resident. There are no tags waiting in a specific non-resident tag bucket.

Let's say 22-2 is a hypothetical Idaho moose unit, and let's further say that last year that only 5 non-residents applied for 22-2 and 1 non-resident got a 22-2 tag so we might say 20% odds exist in 22-2 so 22-2 is looking good for the next draw draw, right? 20% odds are very good indeed. Thing is, since there is a 10% cap on non-residents by species and also a 10% cap on each sub-unit, is rather useless to think 22-2 will offer 20% draw odds this year. You have to be one of the first 20 or so non-resident application pulled to get one of the "up to" 20 bull moose tags, in this example. The odds were not 20% but rather 1% chance you would be picked while a tag was left in 22-2 and no other non-resident drawn before you had 22-2 as their choice and you also are competing against residents that listed 22-2 as their first choice. When the dust settles, you have much less than 20% odds in the upcoming draw.

If you took the same exact set of non-resident and resident applications as last year with the same choices and put them in a slightly different draw order then maybe no tags go to a non-resident in 22-2. Since are 1% overall odds in this example, you could run last year's tag draw 18 more times and still perhaps not see another 22-2 moose tag go to a non-resident much less to you if you apply for 22-2.

What can be determined from the fuzzy odds are if the draw rate for non-residents is 1% but a particular subunit typically gets fewer non-resident applications then your odds are relatively better by picking a historically less popular subunit but still are facing 1% odds overall and applicant behavior this year may diverge from last year. There was a time when 10% of the non-resident sheep applications applied for a single sub-unit so picking any other unit improved your relative odds in the sheep draw but the overall sheep odds are certainly less than 1% for you each year no matter what sub-unit you select.

Statistics are math and some folks do not understand math. Paycheck advance shops are good at math but most of their customers are not. Idaho is an "If X" is true (the 10% cap is not met yet) then still need "If Y" to be true (there is a tag left in your unit of choice) and "If Z" is true (less than 10% of the tags in your choice have gone to a non-resident) to get a tag.

Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona give you multiple bites at drawing a tag if your application is drawn such as when I draw my 2nd choice though was an applicant for 3 other choices of which the 1st was out of tags and maybe the 3rd and 4th were out of tags as well but since I drew the 2nd choice the tags left in other choices is no longer a factor for me but I may show up in the total applicants in all 4 of my choices. Monte Carlo is a way to simulate the draw results by repeating the draw over and over and over to get the relative odds per unit. This is why GoHunt odds diverge from official NV odds. If you are still reading and awake then you likely are wealthy as there is money to be made when reality diverges from "20% odds in 22-2" fallacies.

Also, Idaho is not straight-forward with how non-resident odds are shown. You can do your own research but if hypothetically 2000 non-residents chase "up to 20 tags" of the 200 overall moose tags then the odds any non-resident gets a moose tag is 20/2000 so 1 in 100 or 1%. ID could run a draw with up to 10% of the tags allowed for non-residents and not a single tag go to a non-resident. There are no tags waiting in a specific non-resident tag bucket.

Let's say 22-2 is a hypothetical Idaho moose unit, and let's further say that last year that only 5 non-residents applied for 22-2 and 1 non-resident got a 22-2 tag so we might say 20% odds exist in 22-2 so 22-2 is looking good for the next draw draw, right? 20% odds are very good indeed. Thing is, since there is a 10% cap on non-residents by species and also a 10% cap on each sub-unit, is rather useless to think 22-2 will offer 20% draw odds this year. You have to be one of the first 20 or so non-resident application pulled to get one of the "up to" 20 bull moose tags, in this example. The odds were not 20% but rather 1% chance you would be picked while a tag was left in 22-2 and no other non-resident drawn before you had 22-2 as their choice and you also are competing against residents that listed 22-2 as their first choice. When the dust settles, you have much less than 20% odds in the upcoming draw.

If you took the same exact set of non-resident and resident applications as last year with the same choices and put them in a slightly different draw order then maybe no tags go to a non-resident in 22-2. Since are 1% overall odds in this example, you could run last year's tag draw 18 more times and still perhaps not see another 22-2 moose tag go to a non-resident much less to you if you apply for 22-2.

What can be determined from the fuzzy odds are if the draw rate for non-residents is 1% but a particular subunit typically gets fewer non-resident applications then your odds are relatively better by picking a historically less popular subunit but still are facing 1% odds overall and applicant behavior this year may diverge from last year. There was a time when 10% of the non-resident sheep applications applied for a single sub-unit so picking any other unit improved your relative odds in the sheep draw but the overall sheep odds are certainly less than 1% for you each year no matter what sub-unit you select.

Statistics are math and some folks do not understand math. Paycheck advance shops are good at math but most of their customers are not. Idaho is an "If X" is true (the 10% cap is not met yet) then still need "If Y" to be true (there is a tag left in your unit of choice) and "If Z" is true (less than 10% of the tags in your choice have gone to a non-resident) to get a tag.

Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona give you multiple bites at drawing a tag if your application is drawn such as when I draw my 2nd choice though was an applicant for 3 other choices of which the 1st was out of tags and maybe the 3rd and 4th were out of tags as well but since I drew the 2nd choice the tags left in other choices is no longer a factor for me but I may show up in the total applicants in all 4 of my choices. Monte Carlo is a way to simulate the draw results by repeating the draw over and over and over to get the relative odds per unit. This is why GoHunt odds diverge from official NV odds. If you are still reading and awake then you likely are wealthy as there is money to be made when reality diverges from "20% odds in 22-2" fallacies.
LopeHunter, great explanation! It drives me crazy when guys say there is a 20% for me (a non resident) to draw a moose tag in particular unit in ID. I simply say that ID doesn’t award tags for units, it’s when you are drawn and what unit you have selected on your application and if your unit is already full you get nothing.
If you want to hunt a tough to draw species, learn how a particular state runs their system and put in to draw.

If you apply for Idaho moose, make 100% sure you understand this issue. Idaho GFD will never fix this issue or educate about it as their revenue depends on Non-residents not understanding this issue.

If you apply for Idaho moose, make 100% sure you understand this issue. Idaho GFD will never fix this issue or educate about it as their revenue depends on Non-residents not understanding this issue.
When I left Idaho in 1993 to move to Alaska, I bought a $200 lifetime resident hunting license.
That puts me in the resident pool, but I would pay non-resident fees if I drew a tag.
A moot point for me because I hunt big game up in Alaska, but something to consider if someone moves out of a state.

tough to draw a tag in Maine
Funny you should mention Maine’s odds. I somehow got on a hunting consultant’s mailing list a few years ago and I get emails from the company telling about different hunts that are available. I haven’t unsubscribed because I periodically point out to my wife that the hunt I am doing on my own for $xx would cost me $xxxxx if I went with an outfitter. In yesterday’s email, I learned the following:

“A limited number of tags were recently approved by the Maine Legislature and are only available for select lodges. These were offered for the first time ever in 2019. Tags are available in Maine's most productive moose zones. Book for 2022 today, or get on our waiting list for 2023 or 2024. CURRENTLY TWO TAGS FOR 2022 ARE AVAILABLE! You can avoid the draws- but they cost. Currently for 2022 they have 2 tags available at $13,500 for the tag plus $12,000 for the guided hunt, plus tax. CALL US, THESE WILL GO FAST!!”

“A limited number of tags were recently approved by the Maine Legislature and are only available for select lodges. These were offered for the first time ever in 2019. Tags are available in Maine's most productive moose zones. Book for 2022 today, or get on our waiting list for 2023 or 2024. CURRENTLY TWO TAGS FOR 2022 ARE AVAILABLE! You can avoid the draws- but they cost. Currently for 2022 they have 2 tags available at $13,500 for the tag plus $12,000 for the guided hunt, plus tax. CALL US, THESE WILL GO FAST!!”

If I remember what I read correctly, the lodges lobbied to get 2% of the total tags, removed from the nonresident draw (20% of nonresident tags) and given to specific northern Maine lodges that they could depend on to maintain their moose hunting income without having to depend on the free market. Outfitter welfare a la the NM guided draw. I'd rather sink that $25k into the auction to show my disapproval.

Last edited:
As for moose hunting advice. I've been hunting them near 40 years here in ak. Suspect the lower 48 moose breeding habits are the same. Calendar timing off. So a couple of my things.
We have to harvest spikes or 3 plus brow tines, or 50" plus. To size antlers I use their eyes. Using 8" as average spacing between the eyes. Gives you a good measure stick to judge antler width. Cow in heat calls are the most effective. I do a long bawl, n 3 small follow up baahs. Go listen to some cows in heat at a farm. And go longer.
Find the cows, find the bulls. I will still hunt for a few days n see where there moving. I like to put small sticks across trails to determine how often they are used or fresh. Place them high enough so that the bears don't know them off.
Hunt the more open areas near the heavy cover of the feeding areas. They will lay in the taller grasses where they can hide their body n look up n around for danger. And in my experience those huge brown eyes see very good. I've been busted enough to know. And there hearing can pin point most noises. From miles it seems. I play around with calf calls a lot. We generally have moose in our yard in the winter and I can practice my bull calls from home so kinda fun. Seems most will respond in some way to a calf call. Just like grunting to stop a deer. A light baagh. I watch as the cows n calfs comunicate around our house. Mom n calf can be hundreds of yards apart n make a slight baagh sound to know where each other is. And mama moose cows will respond to a calf bleeting. To find cows, find bedding areas n do calf cherps. Watch for big ears.
When still hunting sound like a moose. I will go slow, I like a mono scope around my neck to screen the area. Stop n break some branches, rip some leaves off branches.
Bulls will also respond to calf sounds. They have mamas. Bulls will still hang back, but haven't seen the ladies in a year. And are curious getting ready. If you find scraping, stop n give a couple light cows thinking about going into heat calls. Shes curious too. Few hours later try light bull grunts. Trying to imitate a curious bull. Stay light during the pre rut. You don't want to scare a larger bull off. Pre rut, I'm doing cow in heat calls only, bulls aren't ready to fight yet but kinda thinking about ladies. And will use a leaf off of a devils club plant. They turn yellow in a day after you break them off. And use it as a visual attractant. Maybe hang it 7' up in a willow branch n let the wind move it around. I will use canoe paddle also. When in an ares where visibility can reach miles. Trying to imitate a young bull. And a mature cow that isn't interested in punks. All out cow in heat calls then. Long loud n sounding ready. Let er rip with all you got. Often. More than you would think. I've heard a cow bawl for 30 minutes straight once.
Bull sounds. I use a recycled RnR plastic pint bottle that can be stuck on the end of a stick. Caution seems like RnR bottles can grow legs n need replacment. Can rub branches n such as you can do the clunk that a branch makes or wack it around like 2 bulls fighting also. I Highly recommend this tool
If you hear a response. Stop, let their curiosity work on them. When he starts coming your way you may hear him making vocal responses to any competing bulls. They huff with each step. Ugh, ugh. If that sound stops, hes stopped n figuring his odds. Do not do a loud bull grunt. Stay quiet. If he holds try more cow in heat. If he still holds try a young bull grunt, lightly. He may be checking out the situation. His nose is telling him something different than his brain. You need to make the other end the boss. And a mature cow in heat is the best way. A satellite immature bull may help, maybe. When you have him you may hear him coming with a grunt on every step announcing to the world that this is his lady. The bull our son harvested did this with every step for near a hundred yards. Was absolutely beautiful to watch. Be ready, when he stops. Watch his poster. If he starts to move forward it will be slow. But be ready for him to alert n jump stage left.
Being able to experience this our son was certainly a highlight in my life. Especially since on many of our hunts the local wolves make their cruise threw the area. Moose can get scarce quick. Then you keep doing that cow in heat calls n switch gears to hunting wolves. They always know when n where we are. They will leave a fresh turd on the trail to my stand when they are around. And that just makes the game better. I'm still out hunting.
One night my beautiful wife n me got to listen in on a kill. We had just gotten into bed n she asks, what this noise that sounds like a goat bawling. The local pack was taking a moose just out front of our cabin, maybe 100 yards or so. We opened the door n got to experience something very exciting. And still feel sooooo blessed.
Oops, you asked for advice on hunting moose. And when I get to talking moose, well I kinda enjoy myself

For those that hunt moose alone. And to others. Processing a moose that you harvest doesn't have to be as hard as what I read anyhows. I will usually do a gutless method from the top down. Head off legs off. Roll n repeat. Gut n finish out. I have a little 3 pully rope winch I can tie legs up n open if I can find it tree. Helps gutting a lot.
Every moose lands different in different terrain, and you need to what works best at the moment. Cool the meat n keep it clean n dry. Get the guts out. I have to keep a bag of knives as i can't seem to get them that sharp in the field. I like big soft handles with grip. Bright orange would be great. But would have to stay in the bag until it's needed.
A great friend gave me a bayonet blade. A switch knife some would say. A safe knife I would say. When I have my hands working around in a huge body cavity by feel. When im ready to cut I can open the blade. And automatically retract it for safety. Kinda like the safety on a gun. Blade is safe up until the moment is needed and then immediately back to safe.
Processing a moose by yourself isn't all demanding. And the fact that you can feed your family a long time on the best meat in the world. That's enough to keep me going. Well more power tools to help as get older is nice.
And really glad I can continue to teach my family, now grandkids too. All of the weird ways papa learned on getting by in the bush. The most rewarding part of hunting fishing trapping I do

LopeHunter - Think your Idaho NR moose stats are wrong.

542 Bull moose tags - 10% go to NR - 54

About 1000 NR put in. 5% odds

Cost - $185 for a non refund hunting license.

I would buy an Idaho deer tag every year and hunt and put in for moose draws.

LopeHunter - Think your Idaho NR moose stats are wrong.

542 Bull moose tags - 10% go to NR - 54

About 1000 NR put in. 5% odds

Cost - $185 for a non refund hunting license.

I would buy an Idaho deer tag every year and hunt and put in for moose draws.
Fowl Hunter some things are incorrect with your statement also.

1- there is not a guaranteed 54 tags going to NR. 10% is the Max that can go to NR, so that number could easily be 45 NR tags.

2- cost for the license is $185, but there is also a $45 app fee and don’t forget the 3% transaction cost. Cost is much more than $185.

NR price did go up last year. Missed that. Resident didn't.

Drawing odds look to be about 5% overall with many better.

Reactions: DJ1
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back