Moose Hunting Tips

WyoDoug

In preparation for my once in a lifetiime moose hunt (if I ever draw), I am trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I would appreciate some feedback from those who have been successful at moose hunting and calling. I have never hunted moose before so I want to go out on the best footing I can if and when I actually draw a license. I have actually seen moose in two different hunt areas and managed to get within range where I might have been successful if it were hunting season. Smart enough to maintain distance because I do know they can be dangerous game to approach.

Where are u points wise?
Good enough to match lottery odds just about realistically. I am hoping to get lucky on one of the random draws. Got 3 points. Just trying to build up some kinda knowledge until I actually do draw. Two areas I am familiar with that hold most gives out about 4 on random draw per about 1600 applicants. Going to put in each year for the near future until I draw and if I don't draw then buy preference points.

I spent a couple years researching AK before planning my DIY trip in 2012. Took that long to find a transporter and get everything in order. Then was lucky enough to draw a UT tag in 2020. Yes I was one of the “lucky” ones, it can happen but very tough. I’d say keep putting in (I still do in other states) but if you really want to hunt moose go to Alaska!!! You won’t regret it, IMO moose are very harvestable during the rut.

I spent a couple years researching AK before planning my DIY trip in 2012. Took that long to find a transporter and get everything in order. Then was lucky enough to draw a UT tag in 2020. Yes I was one of the “lucky” ones, it can happen but very tough. I’d say keep putting in (I still do in other states) but if you really want to hunt moose go to Alaska!!! You won’t regret it, IMO moose are very harvestable during the rut.
My dreams if I win the lottery LOL. But I have to stay within my means and on fixed income, that is not easy. All I can do is keep on trying and keep on trucking with planning for it so I will be ready of the day ever comes. If I ever DID hunt Alaska, I would want to include a Kodiak bear in that too.

Reactions: DJ1
My dreams if I win the lottery LOL. But I have to stay within my means and on fixed income, that is not easy. All I can do is keep on trying and keep on trucking with planning for it so I will be ready of the day ever comes. If I ever DID hunt Alaska, I would want to include a Kodiak bear in that too.
Going DIY saved me a ton of money, friends were amazed how inexpensive it was compared to guided hunts. You can hunt moose unguided in AK, if you want to add the brown bear you have to go guided. If you ever draw the tag contact me, I’ll be more than happy to help you out. Good luck.

Once have a bull moose piled up dead then my tip is to have 3 or 4 buddies with sharp knives and strong backs plus a hand winch to assist with quartering. Packing a moose is to an elk as packing an elk is to a deer. I have shot a bighorn ewe, free-range aoudad ram, mountain goat billy and bull moose. My bull moose comparatively was located in the least scenic terrain as was the riparian zone and was the least challenging to close the distance though is quite tasty dinner fare. The moose is not a striking mount, in my opinion so the size of the antlers is what makes one look impressive as a wall mount or full-size mount. I had the moose itch, scratched it and ate some wonderful meat.

Going DIY saved me a ton of money, friends were amazed how inexpensive it was compared to guided hunts. You can hunt moose unguided in AK, if you want to add the brown bear you have to go guided. If you ever draw the tag contact me, I’ll be more than happy to help you out. Good luck.
Thanks and if I won the lottery I would be doing one hell of a DIY type hunt and paying expenses of more experienced hunters to go along and give me a hand at something I know very little about. As for Wyoming, if I ever draw, I would love to have an experienced hunter to bird dog and lead my hand a bit to do the right thing. It's tough to start hunting a new critter cold turkey. Like my turkey hunt last year where I saw none during hunting but lots while fishing.

Yeah, I know brown bear in Alaska requires a guide and if I ever do that, it will be because I won the lottery and can afford it. But in the end, I am a retiree with multiple retirement sources but still fixed income that will not keep up with inflation so my typical budget for each hunt is around $1000. Be a while before I hunt out of state other than Nebraska, Texas, Kansas and Arkansas. Winning the lottery might help that out a bit but I think getting hit by lightning is more likely.

Here's some score tips for Shiras

Top 3 things in order that I look for in a good Shiras moose.
1 - Split brows- Adds to to your palm length score tremendously which is the largest % of moose score by overall inches accounts for 24-40 inches long per side. 48-80 points of 155 B&C Min.

2 - Lots of points 10 per side with not a lot of longer points smaller points equals older bull with filled in paddles from what I've seen. Easier to count points vs guessing palm width. 20+ points in overall score.

3- Palm width - skinny palms means younger bull see # 2 above. varies but 10-14 inches per side. 20-28 points out of the overall score.

If all 3 above are met the bull will likely be at least 40 wide and have decent enough mass. I wouldn't worry about overall width unless its a deciding factor on your perfect bull. To summarize- A split brow bull with 10 points will likely make B&C min score of 140.

Here's some score tips for Shiras

Top 3 things in order that I look for in a good Shiras moose.
1 - Split brows- Adds to to your palm length score tremendously which is the largest % of moose score by overall inches accounts for 24-40 inches long per side. 48-80 points of 155 B&C Min.

2 - Lots of points 10 per side with not a lot of longer points smaller points equals older bull with filled in paddles from what I've seen. Easier to count points vs guessing palm width. 20+ points in overall score.

3- Palm width - skinny palms means younger bull see # 2 above. varies but 10-14 inches per side. 20-28 points out of the overall score.

If all 3 above are met the bull will likely be at least 40 wide and have decent enough mass. I wouldn't worry about overall width unless its a deciding factor on your perfect bull. To summarize- A split brow bull with 10 points will likely make B&C min score of 140.
Thanks. Good info but my goal is a "nice bull" least in archery but my target in rifle will be meat eater bull or cow. Area I am shooting for is any moose type 1. I will do a Euro mount if I ever get a bull even a trophy. No way will I have the budget to support paying thousands for taxidermy plus the wife would do the Lorenna Bobbit thingie. So points in my case is not the deciding factor. Big bulk bull or larger cow would.

If you can’t do any of the above I would stop buying points and WY and apply for moose in Idaho. There are some units with odds that are far better than what you are hoping for. And no…the wolves haven’t eaten them all yet.

As far as calling, at least up here in Alaska, I think most newbies are not patient enough.
They call, wait an hour or so and move on.
I've had success calling from the same location for 2 days before moving on to a new location.
Moose have excellent hearing and can hear a call a great distance away.

Thanks. Good info but my goal is a "nice bull" least in archery but my target in rifle will be meat eater bull or cow. Area I am shooting for is any moose type 1. I will do a Euro mount if I ever get a bull even a trophy. No way will I have the budget to support paying thousands for taxidermy plus the wife would do the Lorenna Bobbit thingie. So points in my case is not the deciding factor. Big bulk bull or larger cow would.
If a trophy isn’t what you’re after, maybe just get a cow and let the bulls grow into trophies.

If you can’t do any of the above I would stop buying points and WY and apply for moose in Idaho. There are some units with odds that are far better than what you are hoping for. And no…the wolves haven’t eaten them all yet.
If you’re seeing good ID odds it probably means the moose hunting is poor. I’ve lived in some of the better Idaho moose units and the odds stink in those areas

If a trophy isn’t what you’re after, maybe just get a cow and let the bulls grow into trophies.
Kinda my plan but during archery I would like a nice respectable mature bull but a better way to put it, I am not concerned about the score. I don't have the funds for taxidermy and don't have the room in my house to display a mount other than a Euro type. We downsized about 10 years ago and in a small in city house now. And the factor I am looking at is size of the body. Just one with big palms and nice spread. I would never deliberately shoot a young bull or cow or calf. I prefer that they have 2-3 seasons of breeding before I consider them for meat, though them younger cows would be more tender meat wise. During rifle I would be after a cow unless I had a trophy grade accidently walk in front of me. During archery I would be after a respectable bull but not necessarily B&C grade. But first I have to get lucky on the random draw and get a tag.

Consider saving up (bypassing those bonus point fees and licenses will help) and go hunt in Newfoundland

Good point I would stop buying WY points as well, you’ll never catch up. Keep applying for random and cross fingers.

ID does have some “decent“ odds to draw a moose tag BUT it will cost you over $300 just to be in the draw. Not a bad plan but will cost to play.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back