Yeti GOBOX Collection

Moose Hunting Ended In MN

That is sad. I have seen a few every year around Ely in July/August. I'm betting the research is going to show the calf mortality is not caused by ticks and liver flukes. . .my money is on the resident wolf population. . we saw a few of those every year too. I think I read on another post here that you guys filled your quota of 400 wolves this season? That should tell them something.

I thought it was strange that global warming could be the culprit but wolves weren't even mentioned as a possibility for the decline.:rolleyes:

Well this stinks. I shot a 44" bull here in 1986. I have watched the population decline year after year. As much as i want the opportunity to moose hunt in MN with my kids someday, I applaud this decision. Hunters will be called on yet again to save a species, if we can.

Now why cant the anti-wolf hunting crowd turn even some of their time, money and resources into saving a species that IS in trouble? Now that would be a good idea, huh?

MNElkNut - not hunting bull moose doesn't do anything to help the moose population. If it were only wolves - the solution would be easy...

The science says there are many problems that include brain worm, habitat loss, ticks and above normal temps.

This is too bad. My old man has been putting in since the 80's and never drew a tag. Doesn't look like it'll be happening any time soon. Hopefully they can make a rebound some day.

Thats a shame.

I remember fondly a trip i did with a mate into the Boundary Waters who drew a moose tag and we called in a good bull and he took it with his muzzleloader. One of the better bulls at the time i think to come from the state with the muzzleloader. But the BIG canoe trip in and out, portages, picking up whitetail casties in the clearings, catching bass and pike and camping out on one of the islands was one of the most memorable hunts i have been on.

Didn't hear or see a wolf, but no doubt they are there and by the sounds of it in increasing numbers.

Hope they sort out the situation and get the moose herds back on track.

MNElkNut - not hunting bull moose doesn't do anything to help the moose population. If it were only wolves - the solution would be easy...

The science says there are many problems that include brain worm, habitat loss, ticks and above normal temps.

Yes.

I was really bummed to see that the moose hunt has been cancelled, but even more disturbed at the rate in which the population is falling... it would be a tragedy to loose this Icon in MN, but many think it is going to happen despite what we do to mitigate it. I hope they are wrong.

I understand what you say about hunting bulls doesnt have an effect, but that is making 2 assumptions. The first assumptions is that the remaining bulls are able to pull off 100% of the breeding. Given the scarcity of moose, I dont know if that is a valid assumption or not. Maybe so, I just dont know for certain it is true.

The second is that no cows are being shot. I dont believe it was legal to shoot cows, but some may be shot accidently/illegally. Prolly not a lot of them, but given the precipitous decline here, it is a good idea to save every one of them for now.

I hate to lose a hunting opportunity though. Is there a moose conservation organization?

none that I know of, but I do know that they have been listed on MN's list of "species of special concern" and the DNR is launching, or already has launched a huge moose research project.

If you go to the MN DNR's website, you can read through all of their studies and such for the last few years.

BB,
Yep, there is no shortage of press the decline has been getting. I shot mine in NW Minnesota and there are basically none left there.

I am surprised that there isn't a Moose group. Seems every other critter has one and the majestic moose should have its own.

BB,
Yep, there is no shortage of press the decline has been getting. I shot mine in NW Minnesota and there are basically none left there.

I am surprised that there isn't a Moose group. Seems every other critter has one and the majestic moose should have its own.

I hunted moose in MN in 2006 which was either the last year or the 2nd to last year it was an any-moose tag.

The numbers were good until about 2008 when the numbers started to plummet. I remember thinking then, "why isn't there a moose conservation org?" Also, the DNR has been concerned since 2008 or so but only now launching an initiative. May be too little to late.

I havent really kept up with moose populations in other states, but I think they are doing real well in ND and Maine. I wonder how WI and MI are doing?

and no, I am not going to start a moose association. I am a Pheasants Forever chapter pres and RMEF guy. But we should start thinking about a name....!

I havent really kept up with moose populations in other states, but I think they are doing real well in ND and Maine. I wonder how WI and MI are doing?

and no, I am not going to start a moose association. I am a Pheasants Forever chapter pres and RMEF guy. But we should start thinking about a name....!

They are doing quite well in ND. I was extremely surprised a few years ago when ND exceeded MN in tags, give most of our moose are from MN. Years ago most of our moose were in the very northeast corner of the state. Now that unit is closed, but they have spread all the way across the northern part of the state and doing very well. I shot a 56" moose allong the Missouri River in northwest ND a few years ago.

I am glad they are doing well in ND.

I know they say that they're used to be many of them in NW MN, but then the same thing started happening where they were dying off in unexplainable numbers. I know there are a few pockets of them here and there, but dang. It is too bad. It would be awesome if the population would stay healthy and stable enough to draw a tag every few years, but to just have them here and see one every now and then is great.

I was going to college in Ely in 2006, and moose sign was everywhere in the woods! I never put in for a tag because being a broke college student and all, I didn't figure I had the means to hunt one, especially on a once in a lifetime tag. now I may never get too here in MN

How about "Minnesota Moose Unlimited" or MMU for short haha

Wi has very few, and no hunting season as long as I have been alive

I'll bet the brain worm that whitetail deer pass around is the main cilprit.. it is deadly on moose and does not affect the deer.. when deer pops rise moose pops decline,,

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back