Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Moose Draw Montana!

shoots-straight

So I think I'm getting a moose tag! Feeling a little guilty seen's how it's number 4 in my life.

Whew! I'm over that now.

Looking forward to pulling my hair out looking for a good one.

Congrats can't wait to read the write up this fall. I am glad some HT folks are drawing some good tags this year to make for an interesting fall.

Congrats on the 4th awesome tag. If you are tired of moose back straps send some my way!

My Daughter in law is a very lucky gal.
In Past years She has gotten three Yew sheep tags for the river Brakes here in MT, She got a very hard draw bull elk tag on the Utica game range and this year she shot her first bear... She kicked our buts Sunday fishing walleye and NOW she pulls a Moose tag up around Lake Koocanusa .
NICE
:hump:

So I drew this moose tag in unit 333. Come to find out I have been hearing it isn't that great of an area with no moose. Was thinking that maybe I wouldn't even go if that was the case. Probably won't even waste my time scouting. I guess what's another 7 years to apply for something better next time.

Fiver, that's too bad that you drew that lousy area. Better turn that tag over to me and I'll use it to try and better the bull I killed out of there in 2003. :)

There is something that seriously needs to be revamped in the draw system. Bonus points are a joke.
Sorry if I'm cring foul here but 14 points and I have been drawing before the bonus points were even around. Now we have a system where everyone can apply because it's cheap to apply $10.
I know of others who have drew at least two tags.
Maybe I should send chocolates and some extra $$$$$

RobertR, in all honesty, the tags I've held have not been in deluxe units. The first I got was for the Montana side of the Selway, back in 1980. There was only 5 issued and back in those days we had what was called a preference system. After 5 years of applying with no luck you were considered having preference in the draw. All tags were given to those with preference first. If more than the quota was applied for then those names were drawn.

You had to go to the nearest Fish and Game headquarters to see now many applicants applied for a district, and then see how many had preference. My first draw had only 1 guy with preference the year before I got that tag, so I was guaranteed the tag if it held true to those types of applicants. It was a very tough unit to hunt and I never found a bull that year. Settled on a cow the last week

The second tag I drew was for the North Big Hole. It had very good odds for a draw. There were 2 season types back then, so it was split up. I drew the early tag for archery into the second week of rifle. I found a monster during the rut, could have shot him with a rifle but opted for the bow. Long story short, killed a 36" the last week of my tag in deep snow.

The third tag was for Rock Creek. Good draw, but the blood brothers hit the unit hard that year. I killed a good moose week before rifle, but he ended up contaminated with tape worm cysts. That happened before the tape worm infested wolves were released.
Turned him in and had to turn in the horns buy by the time I got a new tag the season was almost over. Saw small bulls so never shot one. That was 1991.

Ive drawn all three big 3's in 10 years now. I am not going to complain...

Fiver... if you decide not to give Gerald that tag, I"ll take it off your hands. Seriously... you shouldn't waste your time. ;0)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back