Caribou Gear

Moon phases

mxracer317

Between GoHunt and Hunttalk.com, I've learned so much about hunting in a short period of time!

My next thing to learn about is Moon Phases. Corey Jacobson was talking about it on the latest podcast with Randy just the other day.

Does anyone have a good resource or explanation to help me understand the importance of moon phases in planning out a hunt. Forgive me in advance if it's such a novice question!

There are lots of variables that influence a hunt, some personal; days off, family obligations, there are legal variables; season dates, method of take, method of access, and then there are on the ground variables; rut, predators, food sources, drought, snow, hunting pressure.

Moon certainly can influence animal behavior but for the DIY traveling hunting... it's like 72 on the list of importance IMHO.

If I was hunting a private 1000 acre ranch, with no other hunters, looking for a specific buck, from a stand, and only had 4 days but they could be any time from August to December ... sure the moon, but for a CO elk hunt... nope.

I think part of the theory is that animals become more nocturnal during full moon since it’s lighter at night. I have to hunt based on my calendar and the local game season calendar, so I really don’t pay much attention to the lunar calendar.

Here in the midwest I personally dont believe that has any effect. The rut is a natural cycle and happens the same time every year, just like all the other cycles. I believe it's all about timing in those cycles.

I work with a guy that told me a couple weeks ago that according to his app on his phone that the bucks will be chasing does between 10 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. I didn't know that they they could read a clock. Lol just my 2 cents.

Weather is a huge factor with nocturnal Blacktails and their degree of movement, a full moon phase amplifies this nocturnal behavior and clear weather with a full moon does not make for good hunting conditions at all.

I do not schedule days off work the week of the full moon if I can help it. Other than that I just go hunting.

I tend to not see as much movement during full moon phases but oddly enough have killed my two biggest bucks during those times.

those are truly the days you should hunt all day. Plus it’s cool sitting by a campfire under a bright moon.

Back