Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana wildlife group seeks to stop sheep grazing

Oak

Expert
Link
BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — A wildlife group is asking a federal judge to stop domestic sheep grazing that it says is a threat to wildlife on U.S. National Forest land in the Gravelly Mountains of southwest Montana.

The Gallatin Wildlife Association claims the government's authorization for the Helle family of Dillon to graze almost 8,000 sheep in the area is harming endangered grizzly bears and wild bighorn sheep.

Attorney John Meyer said the Bozeman-based group planned to file an injunction request in U.S. District Court Monday seeking to halt grazing this summer on two of the Helle's seven grazing allotments.

A lawsuit challenging the approval of the allotments was filed last week.

Helena lawyer Jim Brown, who represents the Helles, says the family has cooperated with wildlife officials on bighorn sheep conservation efforts.

Great! I was wondering if that would happen.

My club RCF&W ass. sued the state of Montana for allowing a grazing lessee to change from cattle to sheep without proper do process. We won!

I think their logic is a bit skewed, but I hope they're able to stop the sheep grazing.

I would say harming grizzly bears is a real twist......more like feeding grizzly bears.

After the Grizzly feeds on a sheep, that's when he gets harmed. The sheep ranchers call foul, and the WS or the Department will be asked to remove the bear. That's how they get harmed by the sheep living in their back door.

After the Grizzly feeds on a sheep, that's when he gets harmed. The sheep ranchers call foul, and the WS or the Department will be asked to remove the bear. That's how they get harmed by the sheep living in their back door.

Actually I think the sheppards just shoot them and try to keep quiet about it. They found a dead one a few years ago in the Centenials which spawned some lawsuits that may shut that place down. There are a bunch of grizzlies that have moved into the Black Butte area of the Gravellies... I heard a dozen down the Horse Creek drainage but I don't know how official that is.

A hard issue to resolve... I understand the conflict with the sheep/ wild sheep but not the bears other than them eating livestock... Perhaps if they are delisted it would make a difference?

Anyone that supports the argument presented should do so very carefully. Elk hunters have killed as many grizzlies in the Gravellies as sheepherders have. To suggest that either of them are significantly harming the population is ridiculous.

Great! I was wondering if that would happen.

My club RCF&W ass. sued the state of Montana for allowing a grazing lessee to change from cattle to sheep without proper do process. We won!

Shoot's,

The Helle's have always grazed sheep on these allotments. They also were on board with the Greenhorn Range bighorn sheep reintroduction, as long as the wild sheep kept a predetermined distance from his domestic allotments. Now the Gallatin Wildlife group wants to use those reintroduced sheep as a reason to pull 2 of his grazing allotments? That's bullshit. Educate yourself on the issue before you speak for your club.

Shoot's,

The Helle's have always grazed sheep on these allotments. They also were on board with the Greenhorn Range bighorn sheep reintroduction, as long as the wild sheep kept a predetermined distance from his domestic allotments. Now the Gallatin Wildlife group wants to use those reintroduced sheep as a reason to pull 2 of his grazing allotments? That's bullshit. Educate yourself on the issue before you speak for your club.

BHR, did I speak for the club on this new lawsuit? Did I say anything about the merits of the case? If you read what I said and had an ounce of comprehension in that mind set of yours you'd of seen that I spoke of a lease change that was sued over.

You claim to be a Big Horn Sheep lover, and FANAWS member, but they take a back seat for you with respect to livestock uses on our public lands. I don't know jack squat about the case but do know that field maggots are hard on the lands, and our wildlife.

You should start a group, one that fits your mindset. "Foundation for Domestic Sheep in wild places". How about "Foundation for North American Wild Sheep in Zoo's"

At least this group puts it's money where it's mouth is for wildlife. Without it the sheep herd will be doomed.

Those domestic sheep got there sense white man came to Montana. I'd suspect that the wild sheep in the area around them died off because of them. How far back do you want to go for supporting evidence of historical uses?

BHR, did I speak for the club on this new lawsuit? Did I say anything about the merits of the case? If you read what I said and had an ounce of comprehension in that mind set of yours you'd of seen that I spoke of a lease change that was sued over.

You claim to be a Big Horn Sheep lover, and FANAWS member, but they take a back seat for you with respect to livestock uses on our public lands. I don't know jack squat about the case but do know that field maggots are hard on the lands, and our wildlife.

You should start a group, one that fits your mindset. "Foundation for Domestic Sheep in wild places". How about "Foundation for North American Wild Sheep in Zoo's"

At least this group puts it's money where it's mouth is for wildlife. Without it the sheep herd will be doomed.

Those domestic sheep got there sense white man came to Montana. I'd suspect that the wild sheep in the area around them died off because of them. How far back do you want to go for supporting evidence of historical uses?

That was an intelligent rant Bob.

But at least one group is displeased. Glenn Hockett, president of the Gallatin Wildlife Association, said the deal shows that the state wildlife commission caters to agricultural needs over wildlife.

"The commission is protecting agriculture," Hockett said. "It's similar to the bison issue (in Yellowstone National Park). They cross the line and boom, we shoot them."

Instead of hazing, trapping or killing wandering bighorns, Hockett said, he would rather see the wool growers' Forest Service grazing permits bought out.

So the Gallatin Wildlife Association supported a buyout in 2004. Now they are going with litigation. Gallatin Wildlife Association and RCFWA are peas in a pod.

Luckily neither were involved in putting the Greenhorn transplant together. Their anti-livestock stances would have blown it up, and there would be ZERO bighorns in the Greenhorns today.

By now you have seen the June 30, 2014 letter from 37 members of Congress on this topic. WSF disagreed with and could not endorse that final Congressional letter. We have a proven track record of working out solutions for separation that acknowledge the dual values of bighorn and domestic sheep, but WSF cannot endorse any expectation that domestic sheep permittees are guaranteed replacement AUMs in the event their current grazing allotments are vacated or closed. While WSF has demonstrated its commitment to multiple use management on public lands, there are no guarantees in place for retaining public land grazing privileges. Bighorn sheep clearly have the right to occur on public lands; domestic sheep grazing should be recognized as the privilege that it is.

Can you comprehend what your CEO is saying, or do I have to draw you a picture?

Too bad you don't agree with WSF's CEO. Why is it that your a member of a conservation group that you disagree with Paul?

Wouldn't joining forces with the Montana livestock Ass. be more in line with your thinking?

BTW, the sheep in the west fork of the Root are there because of RCF&Ws efforts. We helped in the capture and transplant. The Sheep in the East Fork are still in business because of our law suit. I personally filmed the illegal activities of moving the cattle off the state leased lands, and replacing them with domestic sheep. Never saw a WSF guy around then.

Thanks aren't necessary Paul.

For the record and speaking for RCF&W ass. We are pro grazing when it's used wisely and to enhance the public lands our wildlife need to survive on. We have been working to get the calf creek WMA grazed to reduce the build up of old vegetation and promote new regrowth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back