Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana Unit 333-01

Awesome. I’ll be doing some research this week. I figured the BLM is safe, and obviously can’t hunt the Tobacco Root Mountains.
Going to contact some private landowners as well.
I wanted to get with y’all first so I don’t waste a long drive from Louisiana, so thank you to everyone
I live pretty close too, I’d be happy to go out and glass with you and help you pack when you tag one.. the state land and blm at brown back gulch looks promising as well as sugarloaf and warm springs.. get ahold of me when you’re around, I’d be happy to help.

I live pretty close too, I’d be happy to go out and glass with you and help you pack when you tag one.. the state land and blm at brown back gulch looks promising as well as sugarloaf and warm springs.. get ahold of me when you’re around, I’d be happy to help.
I’ll definitely give you notice when I get my plans made. I’ll be driving so it will be ≈27 hours on the road, then I’ll have about 6-7 days to hunt.

should be a fun trip!

I think if you have 6-7 days to hunt getting a cow there should be fairly doable. It will probably depend a lot on weather. One piece of advice: Outside of Norris on BLM is a place called revenue flats. I wouldn't waste your time there, its a very popular spot for dirt bikers, shooters, rock climbers and all sorts of other tom foolery.

I do now. I’ll have to contact some land owners. Lesson learned but I’m still going to try to fill the tag

That’s the spirit!

At the very least you get to go explore a new area, scout for elk, and start learning firsthand about the logistics of traveling from way down here to that part of the country for a hunt.

Your next western hunting trip will be better for the experience I would imagine.

its not that bad of a tag. you would be surprised how many elk are running around over there. Find a high point glass em up, figure out where they are and knock on some doors. I think you would be surprised. Bring a fishing pole

yeah I think I have a fairly decent game plan going in, so I’ll see what I can do!

Good luck CountryAsACoonDog. I might run into you in the field. I did the exact same thing you did by purchasing a B 333-1 Anterless Elk tag without seeing that it can't be used on National Forrest land. I will be studying the OnX maps to see what might make the most sense. Hopefully there are also Block Management areas that can also be leveraged. Anyway a day out in the field is always better than a day in the office. Looking forward to it. :)

Good luck CountryAsACoonDog. I might run into you in the field. I did the exact same thing you did by purchasing a B 333-1 Anterless Elk tag without seeing that it can't be used on National Forrest land. I will be studying the OnX maps to see what might make the most sense. Hopefully there are also Block Management areas that can also be leveraged. Anyway a day out in the field is always better than a day in the office. Looking forward to it. :)

haha awesome! I’ve found a spot I’m going to try to hunt. Mostly BLM land is what I’ve looked at, I’m confused on it State owned land can be hunted. Going to contact FWP and verify

I've taken elk off non NF public land in that unit. You're going to have to get really lucky or work really hard to do so. I'd try getting permission on private if at all possible. There is a rather large piece of Block Management in the unit that would also be a really good place to start.

Last edited:
I've taken elk off the NF on public land in that unit. You're going to have to get really lucky or work really hard to do so. I'd try getting permission on private if at all possible. There is a rather large piece of Block Management in the unit that would also be a really good place to start.

how do I get in contact for the block management? Apologies if it’s a dumb question, just unfamiliar with Montana and don’t see any info about it through OnX.

edit: awesome, looks like I can just show up and hunt, since they are type 1. I’ll contact FWP to verify. Thank you, that will help me a lot

Last edited:
The Montana Fish and Game publishes a pamphlet which describes the block management areas. Some you just go and hunt but others you need to sign in at the ranch. They have different rules depending upon the property. I was able to see them on my OnX. Harrison Lake, Braach Ranch, Alaska Ranch, Bruce Petterson Ranch and Lazy U Cross Ranch all show up as part of this block management program. This is the URL for more information https://fwp.mt.gov/bma

Last edited:
The Montana Fish and Game publishes a pamphlet which describes the block management areas. Some you just go and hunt but others you need to sign in at the ranch. They have different rules depending upon the property. I was able to see them on my OnX. Harrison Lake, Braach Ranch, Alaska Ranch, Bruce Petterson Ranch and Lazy U Cross Ranch all show up as part of this block management program. This is the URL for more information https://fwp.mt.gov/bma
Thank you

I figured out how to make it visible on OnX so that helps a lot. I’ll definitely be checking some out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back