Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana unit 261 help.

I drew the 261 permit this year. I dont know much about the unit. I wont have time to scout. And probably only a couple days to hunt. Can someone tell where i can shoot a good buck on this unit. I heard there are some good deer. I would like to shoot a 200 inch deer or at least 190 if it is over 30 inches wide. Thanks in advance for any info.
You were serious? Sorry.

Last edited:
I think Guys won't help other Guys cause they Jellous they didn't get the tag! Whats the big deal Helping a Guy with info if You don't have a tag that year? On the other hand If it's a premium tag ( I don't know that area) I drew I find away to get time off. I allways have. I'M huntin the whole hunt if needed. So I guess I'M on Everybodies side.. I will kill My own big Muley in Eastern Montana with no help. I did 3 scouting trips to learn it Myself when I moved up here from AZ. 3 years ago. And I will be 58 soon. Take time to hunt ,it's healthy for You. Work will allways be there. Happy hunting all.........................BOB!

Seems like this might be a tuff hunt .
Nope, compared to average mule deer hunts, this is not tuff, at all. The "Tuff" part is getting permission.
My answers
And finally you can appreciate what i am up against all the time in the UK!
No public access, all private, you have trouble retaining the 'permission' as other people have deep pockets and undermine you.
Seeing the pics Randy posted i would have sore knuckles with all the knocking:D
Good luck on your hunt.
Cheers
Richard

Part of it was serious part wasn't. My point was don't believe everything you read on the internet. I do think the condescending comments were flat out stupid. I will leave you guys to your back patting. Here is a picture of one I saw this morning, 2 more months of growth should put him on the short list.

Attachments

• deer and garden 028.jpg
    deer and garden 028.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 275
Part of it was serious part wasn't. My point was don't believe everything you read on the internet. I do think the condescending comments were flat out stupid. I will leave you guys to your back patting. Here is a picture of one I saw this morning, 2 more months of growth should put him on the short list.

Interesting that an Outfitter would come on a forum associated with Do-it-yourself hunters and look for insults, then runoff after posting a condescending remark.

Good reason why so many of us DON'T use outfitters, ever.

He may be an outfitter but he's a class act!! I know Hnthrd...stand up guy. I drew a great MT elk tag a few years ago and he went way out of his way to help me, someone he met on one of these sights!! He's welcome in my camp anytime, anywhere. I'm hoping he joins me in Utah on my mule deer hunt this fall.

jd

Greenhorn are you into the drambuie and coffee again? :) .
Robert i didnt run off ,still here. You make it seem like i should be offended that you would never hunt with an outfitter? Just because i pushed your buttons ? I remeber a time when you could come on hunttalk and talk hunting , all types of hunting. And even if a guy came on and posted like a jerk asking for information. There was still lively discussion of hunting. ( well greenhorn would give them a bunch of crap still,jk)
If you want me to, i will disappear from this site. I'll go back into the shadows. But ,I will still be around the valley hunting with my kids, wife and other family members and clients ( some for free and some that pay me). Hopefully shooting my swingset buck near someone's McMansion.

Greenhorn are you into the drambuie and coffee again? :) .
Robert i didnt run off ,still here. You make it seem like i should be offended that you would never hunt with an outfitter? Just because i pushed your buttons ? I remeber a time when you could come on hunttalk and talk hunting , all types of hunting. And even if a guy came on and posted like a jerk asking for information. There was still lively discussion of hunting. ( well greenhorn would give them a bunch of crap still,jk)
If you want me to, i will disappear from this site. I'll go back into the shadows. But ,I will still be around the valley hunting with my kids, wife and other family members and clients ( some for free and some that pay me). Hopefully shooting my swingset buck near someone's McMansion.

You never pushed anything on me. That is what your post was all about though.

You came on this looking for some sort of reaction to your drawing the tag. Good for you, but I find it stupid, that you get what your looking for, and call those comments stupid. That's too funny.

If you wanted to just talk hunting then I'd suggest coming out with less BS and more dialog. You live right in the heart of the area, and post pictures of those bucks all the time, so you know where to hunt them and on who's property, this was no less than a long line of BS on your part looking for a rise.

So you moved here around 2006 from back east and became a Big Game Outfitter? Is that right?

Then that year you gave advice to Jdan9 to kill his elk?

I guess that says a lot more why I wouldn't use an outfitter than this dumb thread.

Good luck on the tag, hope you get a good one, then come back and tell us the story without the BS. I will be looking forward to it.

Hey guys, get this thing back on track. Quit-cher belly-aching and go find me some big muleys. I can't get off the computer and drive the three hours to the unit and scout because my bunions are acting up again.
Htnhrd, if that buck in your hayfield isn't 29" when he stops growing, I'll add him to my back-up hit list. That is as long as I don't have to walk too far from the pick-up. Would you have an ATV that I could borrow if it is too far to walk?

Greenhorn, No 2 pt for me, after waiting 20 years to draw the tag the buck has to have at least 3 per side.

jd

Last edited:
Gerald no hiking involved. In fact there were 6 bucks last night you could have shot from the hottub.;) no atv but if the bunions flare up i have horses and mules we can pack your buck back to your truck with.

Shoots strait not that it would make a difference, but since we are discussing my bio. I moved to montana in 2000. Bought the outfitting business in 2008 in the Big Hole. I spend 45 to 55 days each hunting season in the same 50 square miles.
Since i did my desert sheep hunt a couple years ago in utah with out hiring an outfitter dont i qualify as a DIY hunter also? Or does being an outfitter damn me eternally?
I dont take any credit for joes super tag bull. I made phone calls and talked to friends that knew about the buffer zone unit and we met up to hunt there. ( rocky dog all the info i passed along to paul when you had the tag a few years later), tagged along on the Gardiner hunt and helped get things back on track when some other people screwed him over the first few days of the trip. Joe is a great guy and become a great friend. I am getting to tag along on his Henries hunt and hope i can be of assitance. And you may not believe it but paying my own way to be part of his trip.
I reread the whole thread and I am standing by my condescending and stupid comment about some responses especially the one highlighted in red.

On another note what is sad is that a guy lucks out big time and draws a unit 100 sheep tag and posted a very nice and genuine request for help. In the sheep section.He has 3 responses and only on person offered any help. This dumb thread gets over 3300 views and 50 plus responses.
I posted the opening thread to have a little fun and intended on straiting it out and see.if any one wanted to tag along , Randy11 is the only one that posted anything close to a real response so i just let it go the direction it went.
I will enjoy my fall very much, as i also have a very good rifle bull elk permit, and a full schedule with hunters. You have a safe and enjoyable hunting season yourself.

Hottub? Hot dog! Now were talking. :)

On the note of the guy drawing the 100 sheep tag. Perhaps there were only three guys who knew anything about that unit? There's only a handful of regulars on here from that area that I know of.

As I'm sure you could tell from my posts I haven't been taking this thread too seriously, but I do know that guys who spend some time on here sharing their pictures and stories, along with requests for help tend to get all the help they need.
Last year I posted a request for some information about an elk hunting spot I wanted to try out. I only got a couple p.m's in reply but one of those was from a very helpful individual who helped me narrow down some areas that I was considering. With that information and a lot of effort a friend and myself were able to capitalize and kill a very nice bull.

I posted the opening thread to have a little fun and intended on straiting it out and see.if any one wanted to tag along
I'd say you were successful. I've been having fun. Wish I had time this fall to do a tag along and video. I love that country down there. However, it looks like I might get to play Sherpa for a lucky goat hunter this fall. Here's a video I took down in your neck of the woods when a good friend had a similar tag. https://vimeo.com/53728874

Back