Montana unit 261 help.

Hntnhrd

I drew the 261 permit this year. I dont know much about the unit. I wont have time to scout. And probably only a couple days to hunt. Can someone tell where i can shoot a good buck on this unit. I heard there are some good deer. I would like to shoot a 200 inch deer or at least 190 if it is over 30 inches wide. Thanks in advance for any info.

Shake a bucket of apples and score it while it's heads in the bucket, then club it over the head with a wiffle ball bat. No ground shrinkage this way.

Heres a few that made it through last season.

image_zps5e8d28cd.jpg

You've set the bar very high for what I've seen of the unit. Especially with no scouting and limited hunting days.

What a coincidence! I drew the same tag and you beat me to asking for help. Now I won't have to start a different thread to learn all the good spots. I can only hunt the first and last weekend of the season because my bunions get inflamed if I hunt too much. Randy11, could you email me the name and number of that landowner where you took the pictures of those bucks?

The hardest part of 261 is finding a spot to take your hero picture without a McMansion in the background.

I live right in the middle of the zone that holds the deer. Unfortunately most landowners are trying to capitalize on an opportunity to make a little money and now charge to play. Not many deer on public land. I think 200 is unrealistic unless you plan to pay a 2000.00 trespass fee. More like 170 if you have a few days and manage to get permission from some land owner. Good luck

I drew the 261 permit this year. I dont know much about the unit. I wont have time to scout. And probably only a couple days to hunt. Can someone tell where i can shoot a good buck on this unit. I heard there are some good deer. I would like to shoot a 200 inch deer or at least 190 if it is over 30 inches wide. Thanks in advance for any info.

You are a local and can't find time to scout between now October?

Make some time, man. You drew a tag that will take you years, if ever, to draw again. I bet you can clear your schedule if you try hard enough.

"The hardest part of 261 is finding a spot to take your hero picture without a McMansion in the background."

That is funny.

So, I left there about 7 years ago now... so am not sure what has happened in the last few... Are there really not any good mountain bucks? All the good stuff is down on private? Booo! I have seen a few good bucks in the early oughts up away from private.

I think you are a little righteous on your 190 buck criteria... I mean geesh... I could see passing a 190 if he was under 28"... but needing 30?? Cmon... be realistic...

Tell me this thread is a joke. Please. Apparently your from the Bitteroot Valley yet you have no time to scout? Yet you want to shoot a big deer and want someone to tell you where to shoot it. Sounds like a real good old fashioned hunt to me. It seems you've lost the thrill of the actual "hunt" and live more for the kill and the bragging rights after. Just because you've drawn a coveted tag doesn't mean you should be spoon fed also.

BHR what kind and where do you want it delivered? Why is this thread a joke? I just asked for any help and what i was looking to use my tag on. I was in idaho all last summer, not sure where i will be this summer. I thought that was the spirit of these sites , help out someone who finally drew a good tag? Still curious wingman if you know how i could get ahold of some of those landowners?

You'd really pay 2000 to shoot a deer on a small acreage? I think the biggest property that will allow hunting is probably in the neighborhood of 100 acres

Weapons Restriction

Most all of the private in 261 is in weapons restriction now. All the private you can not use a rifle anymore. Get out there and knock on some doors. Its an easy area to scout. If you are local it shouldn't be hard to find a good deer.

BHR what kind and where do you want it delivered? Why is this thread a joke? I just asked for any help and what i was looking to use my tag on. I was in idaho all last summer, not sure where i will be this summer. I thought that was the spirit of these sites , help out someone who finally drew a good tag? Still curious wingman if you know how i could get ahold of some of those landowners?

I don't know anyone personally. Not my style.

I like Blackfoot IPA, Hh. I hear they closed the forest that burned around Sun Valley to everyone till further notice. No shrooming for you in Idaho this year, Hh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back