Montana - Time to Shake it Up?

Montana hunters, or HT members? mtmuley
Great point @mtmuley, and something I try to keep in mind. To my earlier comment about the survey, HT members aren't all Montana hunters. And usually when I go to the woods with my hunting buddies and family, or a fundraiser/pint night/banquet/bow shoot, I am ready step back in the ring.

Please enlighten me on how improving and protecting habitat is going to allow a buck that gets shot at 2 1/2 years old survive to 4 1/2 years old?

Habitat conservation and improvement is an important part of good resource management. Habitat factors into herd recruitment and winter survival. It has nothing to do with over exploitation of the resource during hunting season.
Please enlighten me how bozeman hasn't grown exponentially in the last 20 years. Tell me how that habitat hasn't been forever molested. Helena... take your pick... You take these sanctuarys away they are going to get pushed. Killed. Or stay in someones yard. Look at the wheat montana subdivision. Tons of grassland forever molested with house's, dogs.. a growing world. a new little extension of bozeman. etc changing the landscape for wildlife. These animals will move or become apart of the town. Habitats need to be preserved or your gonna see more declining numbers. Sure take a month off less bucks get killed. 1 buck can knock up 5-10 does. The issue isn't because they cant. The saftey sanctuarys are getting smaller and smaller. Deer need sanctuaries. Private ranches places we cant go..... places to escape the world just like us. Everyone here has probably seen a buck or doe hiding in plain sight like damn I didn't even see that one. They atleast have a better chance to hide.

Again my point of to much extensive pressure (exploitation as you put it) in the east. I'm pretty sure I mentioned extensive pressure on areas of the state... can't have 3/4 of the general tags all going to the same place to hunt it. Residents or NR

Great point @mtmuley, and something I try to keep in mind. To my earlier comment about the survey, HT members aren't all Montana hunters. And usually when I go to the woods with my hunting buddies and family, or a fundraiser/pint night/banquet/bow shoot, I am ready step back in the ring.
Lots of passionate hunters here. We get defensive when new members try to paint a rosy picture of Montana mule deer. mtmuley

Lots of passionate hunters here. We get defensive when new members try to paint a rosy picture of Montana mule deer. mtmuley
Oh I know it. But I'm also an optimist by nature, and though mule deer hunting here is worse than it was, it's a heck of a lot better than New Jersey.

Oh I know it. But I'm also an optimist by nature, and though mule deer hunting here is worse than it was, it's a heck of a lot better than New Jersey.
Aren’t you a Montana native? I’m dumbfounded how you can have that mindset- “it’s a heck of a lot better than New Jersey.”

Yeah - Kumbaya. Group hug?

Hunting deer on the USFS is so fantastic in MT. It could be NJ? Outside chance to politely convince a couple retarded adult onset hunters that life goes on if the only time the troll lets them out of the house is the day after Thanksgiving.

Should we be impressed or are you looking for sympathy? How does your childbearing schedule correlate to mule deer management in Montana and why should anybody care?

If you hunt 4 days and got 5-600 lbs of meat why would you so greatly need rifle deer hunting in November? Will your family starve or are you worried you will not be able to adequately enjoy your couple days of rutting buck rape and pillage?
I expected a better line from you... I have seen you do better. 3 out of 10.

Again i don't... it's alot more enjoyable though

Sure. And my point to @Visiting Hunter was that the rude ones aren't really worth listening to, because they aren't adding anything the polite ones are already saying better.
A lot of the rude ones were doing the heavy lifting for MT wildlife that you enjoy now long before you were here.

The fight for wildlife requires thick skin.

A lot of the rude ones were doing the heavy lifting for MT wildlife that you enjoy now long before you were here.

The fight for wildlife requires thick skin.
Ahh and please go on with the boomer entitlement. I laid this brickwork. Lol okay well if you all were all so smart and actually thought about conservation then we wouldn't be here. Lol but that's for another time I suppose..

Ahh and please go on with the boomer entitlement. I laid this brickwork. Lol okay well if you all were all so smart and actually thought about conservation then we wouldn't be here. Lol but that's for another time I suppose..

I assume you have the plan to save us from FWP?

Reactions: DFS
Son, you have no clue what was done to get you what you hunt.

When was the last time you attended a FWP commission meeting, FWP scoping session, FWP season setting meeting, commented on seasons, or testified on wildlife issues at the MT Legislature?

Have you ever even spoken to a R3 bio?

Maybe that was too rude?

Last edited:
I should post some of my journal entries from hunting region 6 back in the late 80's through the 90's. Most wouldnt believe what I was seeing, quality and numbers.
the new recruits will tell you to shut up and be happy with what we have.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Djulson
Back