Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Surplus still an option? (How many usually get returned?)

Someday, a family in India will be very happy when their 8 year old receives a contract for 75% of FWP’s draw budget to run everything from an app he developed on his iPhone.
Be better than the shit show that’s happening now

Seems to me that the MOGA might have been gifted a part of what they had been pining for?? They lobbied for thousands of additional "Outfitter-Client" licenses due to the amount of their clients that were unsuccessful after the drawing was completed. That made it to the Governor's desk...that he did not sign. Then they lobbied for the "Left-over/returned" list be dissolved for 2020 and allow all those licenses to only be issued to their clients. The last that I heard was that "a portion/percentage" of the available licenses would be slated for paid Outfitter clients and that they would bump to the front of the list. Seems that a DIY nonresident hunter only spends roughly $600 in MT vs the $3,000-$6,000 an "Outfitted" client spends during their stay. COVID has our travel/tourist industry in a tailspin and MOGA has a very effective lobby team. Not saying that this is what has happened...but I smell something!

A friend on the elk combo list went from 225 to 180. I think he was on the cusp and now might be in the game.

It is unbelievable that in this day of technology an agency can have these struggles. If you look at the new system RFP that was sent out to vendors, worded in a way that could cut out some of the top vendors, I am not holding my breath that the new system with be much more than the what @MTGomer outlined about the eight year-old with an iPhone.

It is as frustrating as it is embarrassing. What was it two years ago, something like they sent a successful elk notice to everyone who applied for one of the premium elk units?

There were only a hand full of us not drawn this year. They should have just handed out the tags to everyone applying and eliminated the re-draw. I'm still pissed I applied, didn't draw and then found out they opened the alternate list to everyone - stupid. They had to refund all our money, run a re-draw - which they can't do correctly, look stupid again to the public, piss off more applicants who thought one thing and now its another, contact the successful applicants, re-collect money....again, this is again why the whole agency would be better in the hands of the private sector...a black eye on the governor who otherwise seems pretty bright - but clearly isn't.

There were only a hand full of us not drawn this year. They should have just handed out the tags to everyone applying and eliminated the re-draw. I'm still pissed I applied, didn't draw and then found out they opened the alternate list to everyone - stupid. They had to refund all our money, run a re-draw - which they can't do correctly, look stupid again to the public, piss off more applicants who thought one thing and now its another, contact the successful applicants, re-collect money....again, this is again why the whole agency would be better in the hands of the private sector...a black eye on the governor who otherwise seems pretty bright - but clearly isn't.
Huh ???? Have another drink

A friend on the elk combo list went from 225 to 180. I think he was on the cusp and now might be in the game.

It is unbelievable that in this day of technology an agency can have these struggles. If you look at the new system RFP that was sent out to vendors, worded in a way that could cut out some of the top vendors, I am not holding my breath that the new system with be much more than the what @MTGomer outlined about the eight year-old with an iPhone.

It is as frustrating as it is embarrassing. What was it two years ago, something like they sent a successful elk notice to everyone who applied for one of the premium elk units?
I'd be interested in more thoughts on this. I've been babysitting the new system, talking with the FWP POC about many of the planned features and timeline.

Well I went from 21 to like 680 but no biggie I had planned on passing anyway after drawing WY.

I'd be interested in more thoughts on this. I've been babysitting the new system, talking with the FWP POC about many of the planned features and timeline.

My comments are based mostly on there being well-proven vendors who have designed systems for many state agencies that are working well that, yet they did not participate in the MT RFP process because of how MT structured the process. There are technology companies who own proven systems and modify for the state in question, then license such to that state under a very wide-scope license agreement.

Montana's RFP, as I understand it, required that MT FWP own the platform and did not allow for licensing from a vendor. Companies that have spent years building and refining such are not going to give MT ownership of such, for many reasons. It is the equivalent of MT FWP asking Microsoft to not license the MS Office Suite to FWP, but FWP should own it. I think there is plenty of evidence that shows licensing and paying a fee is often a much better solution that building from scratch and becoming married to a vendor.

Maybe I got it wrong, but I don't think so. I had conversation with two of the big vendors who do this for other states and asked what the MT system might look like based on the RFP process that everyone was asked to participate in. I was surprised to learn that they declined to participate in the MT FWP process due to MT wanting to be the owner of the final product rather than licensing such as most states do.

I hope this process works out great for FWP. Given their history of software vendor selection and what a train wrecks they end up with, it would be a welcome relief to see them end up with a great solution for both them and the user. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back