Montana Rifle Hunt Scouting/Glassing Strategy

TN VOL

Hey guys! 1 week away from MT general rifle opener! We hunted MT 4 years ago, so first time back since then! I’m curious to know what some of your all’s strategies are for scouting/locating elk before the opener. Do you all like to hike in to glass and locate elk before the opener? It sounds like that is a good way to approach it, but I’m unsure if that matters due to the amount of rifle opener pressure. Should I focus more on where I think the elk might be or go to when the orange army comes marching in?? I was thinking of maybe my son and I should get as high in elevation as possible on a knob or high point in a roadless area and just pray for hunters to push herds to us. I’ve heard so many stories of hunters locating elk before the opener then never see those elk again due to pressure. Thanks for any advice and good luck to everyone!

Play the thermals. Try and figure out where bedding and feeding areas are and do your best to get them when they are moving to/from those areas. If you are close to private watch the fringes same with open spots in the timber.
If you catch them moving and have a good vantage point watch them go to bed don't chase them and formulate your plan from there.

I am not an elk hunting guru. I have stayed at a Holiday Inn and I have read a lot and listened to many a podcast.

With that being said. All of the elk left Montana. They took the money and moved to a warmer climate. Lol I believe they are in Alabama.

Hey guys! 1 week away from MT general rifle opener! We hunted MT 4 years ago, so first time back since then! I’m curious to know what some of your all’s strategies are for scouting/locating elk before the opener. Do you all like to hike in to glass and locate elk before the opener? It sounds like that is a good way to approach it, but I’m unsure if that matters due to the amount of rifle opener pressure. Should I focus more on where I think the elk might be or go to when the orange army comes marching in?? I was thinking of maybe my son and I should get as high in elevation as possible on a knob or high point in a roadless area and just pray for hunters to push herds to us. I’ve heard so many stories of hunters locating elk before the opener then never see those elk again due to pressure. Thanks for any advice and good luck to everyone!
Locate some the day before , make a plan to be on them at first light . First light , legal time , not half hour after sunrise , that’s too late . Be on them right away , if that doesn’t work then find a saddle or pinch point and sit all day let them pressure work to your advantage

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back