Montana resident looking to use my points.

Jeremyc_1999

I live in Southwest Montana and have 11 resident elk points. I am willing to travel. I bow and rifle hunt, but would prefer to use points on a rifle hunt. I'm 39 years old and can get around pretty well, but I am not getting any younger. I have access to an ATV, have a hot tent, and am not afraid of packing the elk out on my back. Let me know where you think I should put in.

Find an area of MT you want to hunt, and then put in there. Each region has a uniqueness of landscape and challenge.

Do you like to cuddle with bears? If so, go big and put in for the one with the worst odds. ATV will have to stay home though.
I can cuddle with bears with my general tag. Don't think I need to do that with the special draw. I've been putting in for one of the worse (380) for 20 years, I'm ready to draw a bull tag. I've had a few years with breaks archery tags that's why I don't have max points.

Well if you are just looking to burn your 11 points, any unit with 10% or better odds should get you a limited bull elk tag in 5 years or less. Good luck!

I'll offer not to waste your points on 313. I did, and wish I had my points back.

I drew a 704 district tag two years ago, and hunted several weeks. I seen elk, but nothing any bigger than a general unit. I’m thankful I didn’t use a lot of points for it. Getting access to private land would have made a big difference. That is the only draw tag I ever got beside a b tag, and it didn’t met my expectations. Since then I have been putting my son in for the Clearwater WMA tag. I don’t have anymore to offer, good luck.

In in the same boat looking to trade in the bonus points for a reasonable chance at drawing. Had the 380 tag years ago and i don't mind if I didn't have it again. I've been digging into both North of helena and east of great falls.

I'm 39 years old and can get around pretty well, but I am not getting any younger.
You sure know how to make enemies. ;) Just kidding. With point creep, 11 still doesn't get you much in the way of odds on a rifle tag. 410 has about 10% draw odds and the Elkhorns are less than 5% based on my back of envelope calc. If you want 75% odds or above, a lot of those ares are private land and can be tough.

I live in 704 and have most of 50+years, Hunt code 799-20. Every year a lucky few of the tag holders take home monster bulls. The majority are taken on private land. Most hunters however hunt hard and end up with a sub 320 bull or tag soup. Every year I run into lucky tag holders that have little experience with 704. They arrive with high expectations of getting their pick of multiple 350+ bulls. That just is not going to happen. You might get lucky and run in to one. By the end of a week or two of hard hunting those hunters are getting frustrated. When my son had the tag a few years ago I spent 20+ days looking for a monster and failed. The best bull I found was just under 350 and I have a good idea where to look.
My advice to the OP is to pick a district close to home that you can scout on weekends and before the start of the season. Don't be one of those frustrated hunters that goes in to a place nearly blind.

Last edited:
I live in 704 and have most of 50+years, Hunt code 799-20. Every year a lucky few of the tag holders take home monster bulls. The majority are taken on private land. Most hunters however hunt hard and end up with a sub 320 bull or tag soup. Every year I run into lucky tag holders that have little experience with 704. They arrive with high expectations of getting their pick of multiple 350+ bulls. That just is not going to happen. You might get lucky and run in to one. By the end of a week or two of hard hunting those hunters are getting frustrated. When my son had the tag a few years ago I spent 20+ days looking for a monster and failed. The best bull I found was just under 350 and I have a good idea where to look.
My advice to the OP is to pick a district close to home that you can scout on weekend and before the start of the season. Don't be one of those frustrated hunters that goes in to a place nearly blind.

If advice was currency, that post was worth a lot of money.

With all the opportunity available with the general tag I would just keep praying on the 380 tag. I personally had the funnest elk season I have ever had the year before last when I drew the tag. That hunt is an experience like I haven't found anywhere else in the state. It is not an easy hunt and will definitely test your skills. I had 28 days in the field before I finally shot my bull.

I live in Southwest Montana and have 11 resident elk points. I am willing to travel. I bow and rifle hunt, but would prefer to use points on a rifle hunt. I'm 39 years old and can get around pretty well, but I am not getting any younger. I have access to an ATV, have a hot tent, and am not afraid of packing the elk out on my back. Let me know where you think I should put in.
Results are out. What did you decide and were you successful?

I put in for 380 again and was again unsuccessful
That stinks. Sorry. I was rooting for you. The Breaks rifle tag next year should be 10% draw odds, or about double what you have in 380. Too many high point holders. Good luck with the general.

Thanks. I'm lucky that I'm going to New Mexico to hunt elk this year, so it isn't all bad. Also, I have a kid coming in September, so it is probably a good thing.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back