Montana public access, an old battle

As an early member of PLWA, I remember the leadership of Ron Stevens and Gene Hawkes in the passionate work to open the Old Indian Trail across Windy Waters Ranch and have used that trail myself. There were many others who volunteered untold hours in researching archives and county records to determine and substantiate historical prescriptive uses of roads and trails to public lands. PLWA is still today a viable organization in maintaining public access, worthy of your support.

In fairness, it should be pointed out that not all celebrities created access problems and as far as I know, Quaid, Shields, Brokaw, and Turner did not. In fact, I often find myself defending the otherwise unpopular widely recognized arrogant Ted Turner, in that he allows the continued use of portions of trails which cross his Flying D Ranch and cross from Spanish Creek to the west side, connecting with the Old Indian Trail. He has no objection to public travel up the road through his ranch to the Spanish Peaks trailhead. Turner allows our local Gateway Youth Group to conduct rural school middle school outdoors oriented seminars on the Flying D Ranch and even provides his wildlife and fisheries biologists as instructors.

My perspective is that other less well known wealthy entities have been the ones blocking public access. I attribute that to their not caring about public perception ... and not appreciating the heritage, legacy, and love of use of public lands by the general public.

State Lands access, Montana Stream Access Law, Bighole/Beaverhead Rivers recreation plans...... Montanans owe a huge debt of gratitude to the old Butte Guys. Not them alone, by any means, but as bunch - they kicked ass. Not much of a one for heroes - but those guys and those associated with them - qualify. Quite the characters, also......

Yes, as I have expressed before to those who complain about a small access fee for recreating on state lands in Montana, if you review the history and the long struggle of hard work accomplished by Jack Atcheson, Tony Schoonen, and many others of the Skyline Sportsmen Association, you will complain much less ... and should want to contribute much more. Schoonen and many of those public lands advocates are still working diligently on behalf of public access to and public use of these lands.

Much like with Big Fin, when Tony Schoonen shows up to testify at a legislative hearing, those legislators who recognize him sit up attentively and take notes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burger hunter
Back