Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana Preference Point Expiration MT HB637

Exactly!
I was planning on Montana Deer for fall of 2023...buy a point this summer and then buy another point before applying Spring of 2023. But now I am looking into all of this and not quite sure what's the best approach anymore.

When do these Regs take effect, or have they already? Cause none of this is reflected on the FWP site online.
If you have no points right now, then this is still your best option to hunt in 2023 as far as I can see

Yeah I think you’re right. Apply, hope to not draw, buy a point this summer, buy another point spring of 2023 and then apply.

Time will tell. It'll definitely be less than 100%, just a matter of how far below? 70% odds? 50%? We'll see.

Time will tell. It'll definitely be less than 100%, just a matter of how far below? 70% odds? 50%? We'll see.

Guessing around 80-85% for the combo. We will never really be able to guess because of the outfitted clients getting 2pp to start with.

But using the math of 12800 big game combos issued, and roughly 10,000 people with 1pt last year not drawing so will have 2pp this year. And outfitters have said they use about 30% of the tags so 5000 outfitted clients with 2pp. Leaves 15000 applicants for 12800 tags. That doesn't figure in people who just bought a point last year and people with 3pp getting tags too.

hey, for once I get to say that even in New Jersey our hunting rules are not this stupid!

for the bean counters at Montana - if you only knew how much money I’ve spent on CO, WY, UT, ID, NM, AZ applications (not including actually drawing) over the years who ALL have better systems than MT. I have spent almost NOTHING in MT except a few bonus points (not sure why I did even that), have never hunted nor even applied there. All directly as a result of how difficult it is to plan with any confidence due to their two-phase draw system and PP confiscation rules. I don’t mind spending money on apps if it makes sense to do so. To date, for me, Montana has not.
Not to mention making NR apply for MSG tags before the quotas are released, meaning that folks will apply in a unit then the quota is reduced and because of the statutory allocation cap often there are no tags available for NR.

Nothing like sending in a app for a tag that doesn’t exist 🤦‍♂️

hey, for once I get to say that even in New Jersey our hunting rules are not this stupid!

for the bean counters at Montana - if you only knew how much money I’ve spent on CO, WY, UT, ID, NM, AZ applications (not including actually drawing) over the years who ALL have better systems than MT. I have spent almost NOTHING in MT except a few bonus points (not sure why I did even that), have never hunted nor even applied there. All directly as a result of how difficult it is to plan with any confidence due to their two-phase draw system and PP confiscation rules. I don’t mind spending money on apps if it makes sense to do so. To date, for me, Montana has not.
I'm glad I'm not the only one, was thinking maybe I was the only one out there not applying in MT simply just because I refused to research and understand their system.

Make it easier for a NR to apply for a tag in an easy straight lined process and I'll gladly donate up to about $100 dollars per species and apply every year.

The Landowner set asides are another 2000 B11's that are available and 500 Elk, 500 Deer & 500 Antelope for the Come Home to Hunt, and the Native is unlimited. I don't know what the total on those is off the top of my head.
Also there is the NR college student deer, elk, combo tags. I believe these are also UL.

They used to also give out 200 NR youth tags, deer, elk and combo, but I think they are UL now.

Active duty military and their spouse can get NR tags after a month (I think) of living in MT even if they are not residents.

MT is the land of opportunity!
Not to mention making NR apply for MSG tags before the quotas are released, meaning that folks will apply in a unit then the quota is reduced and because of the statutory allocation cap often there are no tags available for NR.

Nothing like sending in a app for a tag that doesn’t exist 🤦‍♂️
The quotas are region wide, not unit specific. I suppose there could be a situation where the unit is closed after the applications are sent. IIRC this happened once before, and I want to say they issued refunds, but not 100% on that. I think its just a chance you take when you apply resident or non. MT usually gives out about 6-7% of the big three to NR.

If I still want to draw next year, I'll wait until late fall to view my points. By then the MFG should have deleted the point I bought last year.

Then I can buy a point this fall and purchase another point when I apply. Hopefully my points don't get deleted, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for all the replies!

And still probably not draw in 2023 with 2 points. Going to be under 100% with 2pts this year.
I think the deer combo and elk combo will still be 100% with 2 pp this year but the bg combo will not be that will be 80-90% with 2 . Remember , the guys going with outfitters that’ll be buying 2 pp most likely have applied before meaning that we most likely aren’t adding them all they’ll come out of the pool from last few years . So yes they’ll buy 2 but I still think it’ll be close to 100% this year with 2

Yeah I think you’re right. Apply, hope to not draw, buy a point this summer, buy another point spring of 2023 and then apply.
IIRC, it doesn't work that way. If u apply. u can't buy a preference point this summer.

IIRC, it doesn't work that way. If u apply. u can't buy a preference point this summer.
Yeah, you’re absolutely right. I was thinking one thing but typed something else.

You can only accrue one point a year (except for this new outfitter deal).

So my brother has 1pp he got off schedule with my cousin and I. We had planned on him getting a point this summer, my cousin and I getting one than all getting a point and applying next year '23 with <3pp. However we missed the fine print and this won't happen.

Can he apply with 1pp should be 0% chance of drawing my cousin and I buy a pp this summer then all 3 buy 1 next year and go in with 2pp? Or does he need to buy a PP every year?

Love how all these new rules were made to make the application process easier lmao.

I was told by MT FWP on the phone that I simply have to apply for the PP every year up to 3 years, that is all you can carry. He noted you didn't have to apply for the tag, but at least the PP. He could not tell me if on my 4th year I could buy the PP still and my 3 points would still carry though, I just couldn't get a 4th....?

I was told by MT FWP on the phone that I simply have to apply for the PP every year up to 3 years, that is all you can carry. He noted you didn't have to apply for the tag, but at least the PP. He could not tell me if on my 4th year I could buy the PP still and my 3 points would still carry though, I just couldn't get a 4th....?
Hmmmm. Was that recently? Pretty sure someone posted after they called and was told the opposite. You have to apply for the tag the following year to keep your points. Which was my understanding as well. I hope you are right tho

You were given 100% WRONG info. You need to apply I have called 3 different times and gotten the same answer. You need to apply for a tag. But by all means just buy the point less in the pool competing for tags 😀

Also this makes it pretty clear that you need to apply for the combination. Screenshot_20220321-190023_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Was that recently? Pretty sure someone posted after they called and was told the opposite. You have to apply for the tag the following year to keep your points. Which was my understanding as well. I hope you are right tho
Yep, it was right after I heard about the changes, maybe a few weeks ago?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back