Montana Preference Point Expiration MT HB637

@rmyoung1 You are mistaken, if you don't apply in 23 you will lose your PP you need to apply in consecutive years. So by buying a point in 22 and not applying for a license you lose your PP even if you buy a preference you still lose the PP. Only way to hit 3pp is not draw.
Oh yeah. @WIbiggame is correct. I forgot about this recent wrinkle. Good grief. Sorry, @tjmurphy

Last edited:
The only discrepancy I see in your explanation here is that the alternate list for returned tags have zero bearing on your preference points.

You are correct but I wasn't referring to the alternates list. Montana runs their draw. Than they run the limited entry draw. If guys don't get their limited entry tags they can return the general tag. Those general tags than get re drawn, but all group apps are broken up. And for this draw they do use preference points and you will lose them.

Again why I said I would never have montana on my list of places to try and and plan an annual hunt. Way to many variables to throw a plan off schedule.

@rmyoung1 no worries it is confusing as heck just wanted to make sure the OP didn't burn $100 on a preference point thinking he would have 3.

You are correct but I wasn't referring to the alternates list. Montana runs their draw. Than they run the limited entry draw. If guys don't get their limited entry tags they can return the general tag. Those general tags than get re drawn, but all group apps are broken up. And for this draw they do use preference points and you will lose them.

Again why I said I would never have montana on my list of places to try and and plan an annual hunt. Way to many variables to throw a plan off schedule.

@rmyoung1 no worries it is confusing as heck just wanted to make sure the OP didn't burn $100 on a preference point thinking he would have 3.
Just like everything else MT does with their FWP stuff. Clear as mud right?!?!?

Oh you were fine. Haha. Can’t be more confusing than Hank. I definitely agree it isn’t the state to make solid plans in as far as knowing if and when you will most likely draw. But I think we are just going to see that become more difficult across all the western states.

Your best bet if you would like to draw the general combo big game license would be buy a point after the application process in 2023 then purchase a point going into the 2024 application process allowing you to enter into the draw with two points for sure and probably have great odds of drawing at that point tear as well as saving some cash.

With that being said I thought when montana made all the changes to the system a few months ago I thought the way it was read was that you could not skip two consecutive years (where you use to be able to, I know because that’s what I would do. Buy two years of points then go in on a sure bet on the third) and with that being said you could purchase a point this year during the point purchase deadline 2022, apply next year with one, and don’t purchase a point going into the draw which you won’t draw with 1 point because of there system for 2023. Then after that draw is over go in and purchase a point for 2023 that would give you 2 points waiting for the application process in 2024 which then you all apply, and buy a point going into 2024 making you a sure bet draw. Hope that makes sense. Montana does not make it easy to explain to be honest.

apply next year with one, and don’t purchase a point going into the draw which you won’t draw with 1 point because of there system for 2023. Then after that draw is over go in and purchase a point for 2023

You can't do this. If you apply for a license you CAN NOT buy just a preference point in the same year. You can only do 1 or the other. So if you buy a preference point in summer of 22 and apply next year with 1 you can't get a point in the summer of 23. But you can buy a point in summer of 22 and at the time of applying select to buy a point giving you 2 points.

The best way to go about applying in MT with a group if you aren't willing to be potentially have some draw and others not.

Is to go in with 0 preference points as a group. You won't have to worry about a released tag and odds have been around 70% with 0 points.

You can't do this. If you apply for a license you CAN NOT buy just a preference point in the same year. You can only do 1 or the other. So if you buy a preference point in summer of 22 and apply next year with 1 you can't get a point in the summer of 23. But you can buy a point in summer of 22 and at the time of applying select to buy a point giving you 2 points.
I guess what I meant was purchase a point in 22, apply in 23 with one point you won’t draw then be awarded a point after being unsuccessful

I guess what I meant was purchase a point in 22, apply in 23 with one point you won’t draw then be awarded a point after being unsuccessful

Doesn't work that way in MT. You can buy a point when you apply or not. If you apply and don't buy a point you CAN'T get one in the summer and you aren't awarded a point for being unsuccessful.

Edit: so in your scenario the person would go into 22 with 1 preference point, not draw. Have to wait until 23 to apply and selected theh wanted a point too which they would apply with 2 preference points.

There is no way to get 3 points unless you are buy a point summer of 22, apply and buy a point in 23, don't draw and don't get a released tag. Than in 24 you can apply again and buy a point thus giving yourself 3 points.

Or you buy a point in summer of 22 and apply with an outfitter in 23 and thus get 2 preference points at the time of applying giving yourself 3.

Does anyone have a revised list of all the changes and rules that pertain the combo general application and drawing process?

Doesn't work that way in MT. You can buy a point when you apply or not. If you apply and don't buy a point you CAN'T get one in the summer and you aren't awarded a point for being unsuccessful.

Edit: so in your scenario the person would go into 22 with 1 preference point, not draw. Have to wait until 23 to apply and selected theh wanted a point too which they would apply with 2 preference points.

There is no way to get 3 points unless you are buy a point summer of 22, apply and buy a point in 23, don't draw and don't get a released tag. Than in 24 you can apply again and buy a point thus giving yourself 3 points.

Or you buy a point in summer of 22 and apply with an outfitter in 23 and thus get 2 preference points at the time of applying giving yourself 3.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1guRIRW8QdSte01T6Du" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

Does anyone have a revised list of all the changes and rules that pertain the combo general application and drawing process?

Page 17 of the 2022 Regulations explains the pref. points. I would have to do some digging to find the files of the list of the new changes.

The information I provided was from several calls to FWP's.

The way you worded it is much more clear than how they actually said it.

View attachment 228996
I don't find that any more confusing, "points are lost if applicant does not apply...in consecutive years", pretty straightforward, although I suppose MTs recent blunder with "first and only choice" vs. "first choice only" makes one question whether they mean what their words say or if they aren't even sure what their own words mean.

Back