Montana Preference Point Expiration MT HB637

I’m not on the up and up on all the new things going on .... how in the hell could a guy keep track they change stuff faster than I change my shorts lol
I agree, especially if you follow all the proposed changes being discussed. Which i shouldn't!

But surely its still 100% odds with 3 preference points for the big game combo?

I agree, especially if you follow all the proposed changes being discussed. Which i shouldn't!

But surely its still 100% odds with 3 preference points for the big game combo?

Unless something crazy happens ie there is a ton of people who had 2 pts last year that didn't apply (which with this law is impossible) you will be 100% with 3pts.

Here's how the scenario works:

12880 big game combos available last yr (has been roughly this the last few years)

1pt applicants last year= 15594 successful: 5413
Leaving 10181pt without a tag thus keeping their 1pt and can buy a pt going into this year.

2pt applicants last yr= 4218 with all drawing. So nobody that applied will have 3pts. Assuming there isn't

So assuming none of the 10181 unsuccessful got returned tags there will be 10181 going into the draw with 2pts.

Unless there are 12000+ people like yourself who have been holding onto points there is no way you won't draw.

Unless something crazy happens ie there is a ton of people who had 2 pts last year that didn't apply (which with this law is impossible) you will be 100% with 3pts.

12880 big game combos available last yr (has been roughly this the last few years)

Leaving 10181pt without a tag thus keeping their 1pt and can buy a pt going into this year.

2pt applicants last yr= 4218 with all drawing. So nobody that applied will have 3pts. Assuming there isn't

So assuming none of the 10181 unsuccessful got returned tags there will be 10181 going into the draw with 2pts.

Unless there are 12000+ people like yourself who have been holding onto points there is no way you won't draw.
My wife and I have been holding onto points and are going into draw with MAX PP for Deer/Elk Combo this year. We are burning our points and probably not going to return to MT until they can wither fix the mix up, or let PP go higher than 3.

Excellent info, thanks. Seems like as certain as drawing a ‘draw’ tag gets. Can’t wait to get back to MT.

I thought I heard perhaps pp’s were going up to $100 each ? Any truth to that ?
Yep. Read that last night. Stuck it to the diy crowd good. So much for being able to plan. Well I guess I’ll start scouting Wyoming and Colorado a little more. Thanks for the last 17 years Montana. See ya

Well I guess I’ll start scouting Wyoming and Colorado a little more. Thanks for the last 17 years Montana. See ya
Our new pack of wolves pushed all the elk into Utah - probably would focus scouting and building points there (and WY)

:sarcasm:

:)

Last edited:
Glad I went when I did. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go back any time soon due to other life circumstances so hopefully in a few years they'll have this all sorted out.

Apply for 380 elk and 270 mule deer, which is effectively the same thing as buying a point. When you don’t draw, you can turn back your general combo automatically.
You can turn your combo in but only for an 80% refund, correct?

Things have changed a lot in the last 2 years, but in 2017 I tried essentially what you suggest and all in between bonus points, pref points and the refund charge plus stamps etc it was like $300 a year for a NR to build points.

Screw that…

I understand the frustrations here regarding cost and overall structure of the system. However I can’t help but think back to the last couple seasons of people complaining that they can no longer draw with 0-1 point consistently. Playing devils advocate, if this effectively takes people out of the game of stacking PP’s to “plan” for three years+ out for general tags then maybe the intent is to make it easier to draw at lower point levels. If that case turns out to be true then I really don’t have problem with it, as you all know it seems a lot of people buy points just to have them...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back