Montana Preference Point Expiration MT HB637

Touchdown88

All,

I bought a non-resident pref point in 2021, with hopes of hunting in Montana in 2023. Prior to 2022, if you didn't apply in 3 consecutive years, the state would delete your points. But starting in 2022, you must apply in consecutive years or the state will delete your points. Does anyone know if point bought in 2021 will be grandfathered in? I can't apply this year because I've already committed myself to a late season mule deer hunt. Should I not buy a point this year, then start buying points next year, effectively pushing my Montana plans back by 2-3 years?

Wording from the bill:

The department shall delete an applicant's accumulated preference points if the applicant:
(i) obtains a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license; or
(ii) does not apply for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license in consecutive years.
(b) If an applicant is unsuccessful in drawing a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license, the department shall allow the applicant to keep and apply preference points to subsequent drawings if done in consecutive years.

Link to bill, information taken from page 9:

Reactions: SDW
As the bill reads, if I buy a point this year and do not apply, I will lose my accumulated points because I did not apply in consecutive years.
Apply for 380 elk and 270 mule deer, which is effectively the same thing as buying a point. When you don’t draw, you can turn back your general combo automatically.

Apply for 380 elk and 270 mule deer, which is effectively the same thing as buying a point. When you don’t draw, you can turn back your general combo automatically.
I thought getting a general tag and returning it effectively wipes out your preference points, which is what the OP seems concerned about rather than Bonus points.

Just got off the phone with FWP and I quote "the only way from now on to get to 3 points is book with an outfitter" WTF is going with MT.

The lady did CONFIRM that you need to put in the general combo either big combo, or deer/elk combo in consecutive years or you will lose your PP.

My brother bought a PP last year ('21) was going to buy one this year ('22) and we would apply in ('23) as a group. He would have 3 PP cousin and I would 2 PP ('22 & '23). But he will lose his PP if he doesn't apply this year.

Just got off the phone with FWP and I quote "the only way from now on to get to 3 points is book with an outfitter" WTF is going with MT.

The lady did CONFIRM that you need to put in the general combo either big combo, or deer/elk combo in consecutive years or you will lose your PP.

My brother bought a PP last year ('21) was going to buy one this year ('22) and we would apply in ('23) as a group. He would have 3 PP cousin and I would 2 PP ('22 & '23). But he will lose his PP if he doesn't apply this year.
Well that’s simply not true what Fwp told you . Guys and gals Not going with outfitters will get to 3 pp cuz 2 will no longer be a guarantee to draw .... so yes , non outfitter hunters will get to 3 pp. my guess is there’ll be folks with 2 pp turned down this year for a big game combo, so next year they’ll have 3

Well this stinks. So no more just buying a point? That changes my plans. Gotten kind of use to buying a point one year then applying the following year and the next if we don’t get drawn.
I don't get the rationale behind this one? Anyone? I really hope I get to burn my elk bonus points there this fall so I can make my official exodus in the combos.

I had the same concern but this rule change appears to have been introduced after I purchased my first point. I purchased one in 2020, then 2021 and still have 2 points. Not sure this helps but I did keep mine without applying for a tag. Not sure I’ll be buying more preference points.

Well that’s simply not true what Fwp told you . Guys and gals Not going with outfitters will get to 3 pp cuz 2 will no longer be a guarantee to draw .... so yes , non outfitter hunters will get to 3 pp. my guess is there’ll be folks with 2 pp turned down this year for a big game combo, so next year they’ll have 3
I realize that 100% I think she was saying this coming year bc of the outfitters getting 2. I understand that people won't draw with 2pp guessing around 60-70 with 2pp for all 3 options.

Just frustrating to have a plan to be able to hunt and then someone with a pen can change that all. Oh well brother is going to try for deer if he doesn't draw can get his 3rd point and we will have 2 with him so should be closer.

Good luck to you in the draw.

This is sad . But I’m sure lots of folks are thinking same way .
You know it truly is sad I've been messing around out there a little over 20 years off and on when able. I may return for some bird hunts or something. But at this rate my deer hunting days are already done last tag was 16 I think, and elk will be soon unless things drastically change which I don't see happening.

Back