Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana OTC non resident B tags

The way Montana manages them technically all 11,000 doe tags could be filled in one county

How is that sustainable? I had no idea they opened it up like that. Back in the mid 2000's MN decided to sell bonus tags and allow people to shoot up to 5 deer. I knew a lot of people who thought this was the greatest ting ever and made a point to fill all the tags as well as others from family members and friends. My assumption was the MN DNR needed to raise some funds. Not hard to guess that after 2 years of that and a hard winter the deer population plummeted and took several years to get back to somewhat decent numbers. I don't understand the need or mentality for this type of hunting.

How is that sustainable? I had no idea they opened it up like that. Back in the mid 2000's MN decided to sell bonus tags and allow people to shoot up to 5 deer. I knew a lot of people who thought this was the greatest ting ever and made a point to fill all the tags as well as others from family members and friends. My assumption was the MN DNR needed to raise some funds. Not hard to guess that after 2 years of that and a hard winter the deer population plummeted and took several years to get back to somewhat decent numbers. I don't understand the need or mentality for this type of hunting.
Montana manages as an opportunity state. As long as you have the opportunity to go hunting they call it a win. Doesn’t matter if there’s anything left to hunt

Spot on I talked to a biologist a couple days ago and she said it’s all about the opportunity and if I don’t like the opportunities I am getting on the public lands I have the opportunity to go knock on landowners doors for better hunting.

Montana manages as an opportunity state. As long as you have the opportunity to go hunting they call it a win. Doesn’t matter if there’s anything left to hunt
I can relate we used to have a lottery drawing for firearm season which was 7 days of hunting and normally you were able to get your one either sex tag. Now you can just go buy them otc there not unlimited but they never sell out. Partly because of cwd is why the new season regs. Nonetheless we now have unlimited tags and 13 days of firearms season. Lots of opportunity to buy tags and try and fill them opportunity to have the quality of hunting we had 15 years ago not even close. Didn't even buy a tag this year just cant get too enthused about it anymore. Hunted eastern montana last year and kinda felt just like the guys here who are still piss pounding the deer that are left. Took away from the trip for me some that's for sure. Sure enjoyed the scenery and the trip but had some guilt lingering over me the entire time we hunted.

When I look to a western hunt I foresee an entire day spent glassing and stalking an individual deer. I don't understand how this could be an acceptable way to sell tags and why someone would want to come out just to slaughter deer. Is there no limit for these B tags?
Well do just that, but why would you think a doe was the deer you would do that on? Or a dink buck for that matter? If you hunt hard you can rise above the lazy road hunters filling doe tags. The SE area has gone down the crapper from 20 years ago, no doubt, but if you put in effort you can get a 4x4. Lace up your boots and put on miles. My opinion is just mine, but hunt hard for something respectable that you can look back on for years. If you do decide to fill B tags many would like to see it done on block management WT does where they are a problem is some areas. Some BM actually ask that you please reduce WT doe populations. I am from Wisconsin, so like MN I have seen poor deer management and overharvesting of does. Look at it this way, just because bud lite comes in a 24 pack, don't mean people should drink the whole 24 just because they offer it in 24 packs

Last edited:
Well do just that, but why would you think a doe was the deer you would do that on? Or a dink buck for that matter? If you hunt hard you can rise above the lazy road hunters filling doe tags. The SE area has gone down the crapper from 20 years ago, no doubt, but if you put in effort you can get a 4x4. Lace up your boots and put on miles. My opinion is just mine, but hunt hard for something respectable that you can look back on for years. If you do decide to fill B tags many would like to see it done on block management WT does where they are a problem is some areas. Some BM actually ask that you please reduce WT doe populations. I am from Wisconsin, so like MN I have seen poor deer management and overharvesting of does. Look at it this way, just because bud lite comes in a 24 pack, don't mean people should drink the whole 24 just because they offer it in 24 packs
It's my understanding you need to draw a buck tag. I am not great at planning years ahead and usually find myself trying to arrange a hunt 7-10 days before I actually plan to hunt. Was looking for late season muzzleloader hunts in some states but that has not been very productive.

Part of wanting the B mule tag is I would like to harvest ANY type of mule deer for the opportunity to taste it. I love venison and have never had mule deer. Not sure if there is a difference or not but I'd like to find out.

Spot on I talked to a biologist a couple days ago and she said it’s all about the opportunity and if I don’t like the opportunities I am getting on the public lands I have the opportunity to go knock on landowners doors for better hunting.
Often those disillusioned people doing the knocking are also offering up big money. I guess FWP is not that concerned about the commercialization of hunting in SE MT.

Often those disillusioned people doing the knocking are also offering up big money. I guess FWP is not that concerned about the commercialization of hunting in SE MT.
Not one bit she acknowledged areas were getting pounded and hunter distribution is not good. She encouraged me to go hunt someplace else where I can find what I’m looking for.

I'm sorry, that was unnecessary. I'm just used to helping people out and mentoring anyone who has ever asked me for help. I was hoping to get some tips on an outstate hunt and now feel like shit for doing so. I should not have responded like that.
Don’t be sorry brother. Some people have no idea how to judge a person for who “they” are as an individual rather than a group. It’s one of the reason we have so many issues in this country:).

Not one bit she acknowledged areas were getting pounded and hunter distribution is not good. She encouraged me to go hunt someplace else where I can find what I’m looking for.
If I may ask what region was this bio outta? If you don’t want to say I understand that too

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back