Montana Observations

macnshana

I've spent the last few months scouting several areas of Montana and the last couple weeks hunting some of those areas. Oh how I love my state. The sheer beauty of all the areas can truly take your breath away. Especially when its snowing, 20 degrees and blowing 25-35. Here are a few of my observations. Elk. Elk seemed to act a little different this year. Yes, the resident herds here in the Bitterroot all stayed low and hunkered down on private land for the wealthy to come shoot. Once in awhile they make a small misstep and end up on a corner of public land and a lucky fellow hunter was able to score. But in areas like Wisdom and Dillon they seemed to congregate on the ranches a little earlier than usual. At least in my experience. I spent a good amount of time up in area 321 and found almost no elk sign of any kind above 6000' a week before rifle opened. The same went for 334, 332 and 331. I wanted to blame it on some early snows but I ended up finding zig zagged wolf tracks, 5 in one group and 3 in another, all over 321. Maybe it was a mixture of snow and wolves. Bear. Black bear continue to win against me in Montana. Other states I practically trip over them. But not in Montana. I only saw one sow with one cub. Saw some griz sign in the Welcome Creek Wilderness. Came close in 203 but couldn't quite close the deal. Tracks were fresh. Scat was still steaming. But just couldn't catch up to it. Maybe next year. Deer. I do believe I need to head to region 7 next year. 270 is an impossible draw in the Bitterroot and though Whitetail are abundant, Mule deer seem to be extra sneaky compared to previous years. The old ones always are. I've still got the rut to try and eke one out. The big creek bottom whitetail are no less wiley. I do believe I enjoy hunting the old bucks as much as I love hunting elk! Lastly Moose. I don't have a tag for moose and to be honest I probably never will in the great state of Montana. But I must say, in my humble opinion, I believe moose numbers are increasing. So far this year, this is where and how many I've seen. 321-5. 334-3. 210-13. 204-5. 203-6. 240-1. Other than in 240, all included at least one calf. 33 moose in 6 different areas made me smile. They are a creature I truly enjoy observing in the wild even though they seem to sleep most of the time. I guess its just the sheer size of them. Cool animals. I've seen several other species roaming here and there and though I will continue trying to punch at least one tag before seasons end, I do believe my reward has already been paid in full by the sights and sounds of wandering in nature. I just have to get my stomach to understand that when I get a hankering for an elk steak. Good luck to all in wrapping up their 2017 season! I'll just live vicariously through Randy.

I hear ya on the elk staying low part. I scouted 2 and I hunted the opening 6 days and I blamed it on severe winds most days. Drought may have contributed. Now with snow coming my expectations when I return in a week are pretty bleak where my special draw is.

Back