Montana NR Big game combo draw odds

What I meant was that if you don't use another outfitter, you can't hunt on public land. Follow? The outfitter can take you on public land, but you can't hunt by yourself, alone, without that outfitter. Follow?
Follow what exactly?

I would guess around 65% this year with 2pts for the Big Game combo, if we see the same rate of increased applicants as the last few years. I drew last year with 2pts. What’s interesting is that for the last two years, due to the way they allocate NR tags by points, you’d have a better chance of drawing it with 0 pts than 1 pt.

The entire system needs a bullet in the brain. And then another for good measure
I think they fixed a big problem this year tho. And that involves the party apps. Up until this year party apps where split up once the "second" draw happened. So if you applied as a party and didn't draw in the first go round, once the people who didn't draw their LE tags returned their general tag your group got broken up. Now all party apps are kept together for this part.

I would guess around 65% this year with 2pts for the Big Game combo, if we see the same rate of increased applicants as the last few years. I drew last year with 2pts. What’s interesting is that for the last two years, due to the way they allocate NR tags by points, you’d have a better chance of drawing it with 0 pts than 1 pt.
That is crazy. Nevertheless, any system is going to have flaws, and weird outcomes. I. quite frankly, like the fact that if you don't use your points, you lose them after 3 years. It keeps the playing field level. In other words, everything is all random.

I bet they stop doing this real soon as it's going to take 3 full points to draw. They are using guys with 3pts to prop up their other clients. Kind of like how tag services do it in WY.
Wait! There is a service for WY where I can just write a check and be combined with someone with more points and draw?! Sign me up!

Wait! There is a service for WY where I can just write a check and be combined with someone with more points and draw?! Sign me up!
Yup you got the $ you can get a tag.

Guides will do this with clients and I can speak to 1 tag service that I know of personally that I could if I wanted to fork over the $$.

Last edited:
Yup you got the $ you can get a tag.

Guides will do this with clients and I can speak to 1 tag service that I know of personally that I could if I wanted to fork over the $$.
I would cut out the middle man and sell your points to the highest bidder.

Thinking I may do that with my Utah general deer tag points. I've been offered a free tag and cash to party with lower point holders.

I would cut out the middle man and sell your points to the highest bidder.

Thinking I may do that with my Utah general deer tag points. I've been offered a free tag and cash to party with lower point holders.
How much we talking? Don't want to sell myself short.

Can anyone school me on why these are called "combo licenses"? Like it's called an Elk "combo" license.

A combination of what???? It's for Elk, not Elk and some other stuff, unless its combined with small game or something else I don't care about.

Those are kinda crazy rules. Not only am i using an outfitter, I'll also be spending money staying extra time and money at Montana motels, restaurants, retailers, etc.

I obviously won't apply through the outfitter. My buddy can't afford an outfitter, and his wife doesn't like the taste of elk (only one of 5 people in the whole state of Montana according to him). She likes mule deer and whitetail and antelope. Go figure.
I think it's the person preparing it? 😁😅

Can anyone school me on why these are called "combo licenses"? Like it's called an Elk "combo" license.

A combination of what???? It's for Elk, not Elk and some other stuff, unless its combined with small game or something else I don't care about.
It’s combined with a season fishing license and upland bird license (doesn’t include turkey). The deer combo, elk combo, and big game combo are all this way. Just a matter of terminology.

Mathematically looking at the apps for 23’ , anything over 2 pp will be a lock . 2 pp will be 60-70% . If just 1 with 2 pp draws then anything over Is obviously a lock

True, but important to remember that if you go in with 0 you are stuck at zero, no buying a pref point later, only bonus points.

True, but important to remember that if you go in with 0 you are stuck at zero, no buying a pref point later, only bonus points.
Exactly, but for those thinking only about this year, or who don’t want to pay the $100 for the point, it could be something to explore.

No one will draw with one …… it’s impossible

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back