Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana mule deer rant

So here is my proposal. I say let’s slide into things slowly.

1) stop mule deer doe harvest on public lands. The science Wyoming is doing supports this.

2) get better data. Using a combination of more and better flight surveys, mandatory harvest and hunter satisfaction surveys. This may require more budget to do so. Raise resident tag prices if needed.

3) let the biologists manage each unit independently based off that better data. This is my most radical idea as it probably would mean the end of statewide general tags. If this is very unpalatable to hunters than Oct general season it is.

4) monitor what is working and what is not and make changes as needed.

Once we throw “the tradition” out on its head, things get easier as now changes made are more expected.

Quick clarification: general season mule deer hunting statewide, Oct 1-31? Overlapping elk archery? Or changes there, too? Just curious.. saw a couple other October comments on here as well.
That’s a valid point that I’ve thought about quite a bit. Even as someone that loves archery hunting elk, I’d give up those two weeks in October in a heartbeat if it meant it would stop some of the November mule deer slaughter.

So here is my proposal. I say let’s slide into things slowly.

1) stop mule deer doe harvest on public lands. The science Wyoming is doing supports this.

2) get better data. Using a combination of more and better flight surveys, mandatory harvest and hunter satisfaction surveys. This may require more budget to do so. Raise resident tag prices if needed.

3) let the biologists manage each unit independently based off that better data. This is my most radical idea as it probably would mean the end of statewide general tags. If this is very unpalatable to hunters than Oct general season it is.

4) monitor what is working and what is not and make changes as needed.

Once we throw “the tradition” out on its head, things get easier as now changes made are more expected.
Too small of a first step.

That’s a valid point that I’ve thought about quite a bit. Even as someone that loves archery hunting elk, I’d give up those two weeks in October in a heartbeat if it meant it would stop some of the November mule deer slaughter.
Yeah I have smoked a good number of nice bulls in October. October 11 is my day for whatever reason. I would gladly give that up

FWP Citizens Advisory Council special legislative open house set for Dec. 12 in Miles City

MILES CITY – Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks’ Region 7 staff will meet with FWP’s Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) and with area legislators on Monday, Dec. 12 in Miles City at FWP headquarters.

The 12-member CAC meets roughly three times a year with regional FWP staff to discuss a variety of fish, wildlife, natural resource, and outdoor recreation issues and to offer input. The CAC portion of the Dec. 12 meeting will run from 3-5 p.m. On the agenda is a discussion on the state of mule deer management in southeast Montana, along with a roundtable discussion. The meeting is open to the public, and legislators are welcome to attend this portion. Public comment is welcome but will be limited to the end of this session.

From 6-8 p.m. on Dec. 12, a special legislative open house will be held at Miles City’s FWP office. The meeting is open to the public, and senators and representatives from the area have been invited. CAC members are encouraged to attend this session as well. There will be a presentation on the agency’s priorities for the upcoming legislative session and discussion with area legislators. Public comment will be reserved for the end of the session.

Miles City’s FWP office is located at 352 I-94 Business Loop, across from the Miles City Livestock Commission.
@DougStickney @brockel @antlerradar

Got my vacation in for it
Bummer you have to use it for that. Would be more fun to use that .17 cal muzzleloader you built and finish off the last few yard deer that most likely wouldn’t have made the winter anyway. Hunting is conservation and it ain’t over yet.

I will be there but if you want to see how the local fwp will respond to any criticism. Two years of drought didn’t see that coming. Deer were dispersed so you couldn’t expect to see them, great range conditions they were there just not visible, then deer got congregated with the weather but in heavy cover to stay warm. Crunchy snow lead to less rutted up bucks running at people to get shot, age class was great! Or my most favorite f it the hunting was awful but I saw some people with their family so that’s cool. #tradition

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back