Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

Recommendation: HD 410, 411, 412, 417, 419, 426, 471, 621, 622, 700, 701, 702, 703, 704, 705 legal animal be changed from either sex mule deer to antlered buck mule deer. Maintain either sex for whitetail.

620-00 currently good for HD 620, 621 and 622, ask to change 621 and 622 be excluded from open areas of that permit.
Intent is to limit take of antlerless mule deer.
Commissioner Brooke asks to add in 301. HD 301 is added.
Motion passes.

Better than nothing I guess, but how many people are shooting does with their general tag anyways? I haven’t seen the recommendations for antlerless tags, but I hope those are cut significantly. I’d still like antlerless tags be valid on private land only.

Better than nothing I guess, but how many people are shooting does with their general tag anyways? I haven’t seen the recommendations for antlerless tags, but I hope those are cut significantly. I’d still like antlerless tags be valid on private land only.
While the majority of tags this applies to are resident A tags, we gave a NR hunter a ride to his truck in 417 two years ago and chatted about the hunting. He said he was having a hard time finding bucks and was going to have to shoot a doe to take some meat home. So maybe it’ll save a few…

I think they said they figured 30% was what antlerless harvest is on the general.

So 3500 doe tags? When the counts keep dropping? I don’t know what it is going to take for this agency to step up and make a stand. If the numbers were lower than last year and I heard they were wtf are they doing.

So 3500 doe tags? When the counts keep dropping? I don’t know what it is going to take for this agency to step up and make a stand. If the numbers were lower than last year and I heard they were wtf are they doing.
Only way they step up and make changes is if non resident tags go unsold. Only thing that’s going to change anything

Only way they step up and make changes is if non resident tags go unsold. Only thing that’s going to change anything
I agree, but with the demand that was created that will never happen.

So what did they decide at the meetings as far as quotas for b tags and such ? Kinda bad timing no ? Isn’t the drawing this week ? I hope they lowered or got rid of lots of b tags before they start drawing ?

So what did they decide at the meetings as far as quotas for b tags and such ? Kinda bad timing no ? Isn’t the drawing this week ? I hope they lowered or got rid of lots of b tags before they start drawing ?
Doe quotas weren’t discussed that I heard. I was told by the front desk, so I would take this with a grain of salt that mule deer doe quotas did not change from published. That would put region 7 at 3500 doe tags and a crashing population. Perplexing to say the least hopefully there was some confusion on the quotas when I asked. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t lower them. Not a single muley doe should be shot in region 7 this year unless it’s on private.

Edit: received a call back it was a miscommunication on quotas mule deer doe tags will be reduced this year. I guess there will be a press release in the next couple weeks.

Last edited:
What method do they use?
Somebody smarter would have to explain this one. From what I understood it is an equation with the counts being just one of the variables. I believe harvest is another one of them but I could be wrong. It seemed complicated but I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Back