MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

View attachment 280771
Proposal floated at the Season Setting meeting last night in Malta.

Another proposal is that if a person applies for a LE Mule Deer Permit, they can NOT hunt mule deer on their general license.
Good luck with that . I like it but good luck . But atleast it’s being mentioned that’s a step I guess

Another proposal is that if a person applies for a LE Mule Deer Permit, they can NOT hunt mule deer on their general license.
So just expanding the language to include ANY mule deer, not just antlered buck mule deer in any other unit?

Language pulled from the regs on a random LE unit. "Permit must be used with a valid General Deer License. Holders may not hunt Antlered Buck Mule Deer in any other HD."

So just expanding the language to include ANY mule deer, not just antlered buck mule deer in any other unit?

Language pulled from the regs on a random LE unit. "Permit must be used with a valid General Deer License. Holders may not hunt Antlered Buck Mule Deer in any other HD."
I’m guessing they would have to iron out the details. That’s how changes work. This gives me a little hope. This would be the first positive change I have seen for mule deer hunting in my lifetime.

I’m guessing they would have to iron out the details. That’s how changes work. This gives me a little hope. This would be the first positive change I have seen for mule deer hunting in my lifetime.
I'm guessing they don't actually mean this, but to me "if a person applies" means that guys applying for HD 270 or other high demand units couldn't hunt mule deer on a general either. That would be a good way to get rid of some point creep and/or mule deer hunters.

This would be if you applied for a mule deer buck, you would not be able to hunt a mule deer buck on your general license.

This would be if you applied for a mule deer buck, you would not be able to hunt a mule deer buck on your general license.
Ah, gotcha. That would be a difference then. I feel like more than anything it would probably help draw odds on our few LE deer units, with people dropping out of the draw to maintain their general opportunity.

May help draw odds a bit but people would just keep killing so it wouldn’t help the population. They need to make more draw tags if they go down that road

Why not just make last 2 weeks a draw tag for every unit. Probably to easy of a step forward
Their words not mine- but they had all kinds of different proposals and ideas on season structures and changes from across the state but they felt that these two proposals would be the easiest to address the main issue through public scoping which was Hunter crowding. I got the impression that out of the two they felt the regional cap would be the better of the two and that’s something that I think the R6 office would be fully supportive of and something that’s been a real push from the meetings we’ve had in Glasgow.

Agreed. That was a point I brought up, although 410, 417, and a rut permit for 426 are being proposed.
There is no way in hell this is gonna pass the folks with the t day slaughter fest birth rights will never allow it . I wish it would be like this in every hd but fat chance

There is no way in hell this is gonna pass the folks with the t day slaughter fest birth rights will never allow it . I wish it would be like this in every hd but fat chance
Not with that attitude. This is the best chance I have seen in my life. I have talked to a few friends and asked them when they have shot their last muley. All of them it had been years. The thanksgiving day slaughter needs to be focused more towards elk and whitetail. There is always something you can hunt. Anybody that has hunted much or for very long knows mule deer need this, as long as the caps are at a reasonable level.

Not with that attitude. This is the best chance I have seen in my life. I have talked to a few friends and asked them when they have shot their last muley. All of them it had been years. The thanksgiving day slaughter needs to be focused more towards elk and whitetail. There is always something you can hunt. Anybody that has hunted much or for very long knows mule deer need this, as long as the caps are at a reasonable level.
Hey I agree . But I see pickup loads of small muley bucks at the local watering holes mostly resident pickups every thanksgiving week . I don’t see most residents giving up that right

Hey I agree . But I see pickup loads of small muley bucks at the local watering holes mostly resident pickups every thanksgiving week . I don’t see most residents giving up that right
I’ve literally watched a group of North Dakotans wipe out a population of mule deer over a series of several years with their 7 doe tags every year, talked to them they were happy they could shoot something and wished North Dakota would let them do that. North Dakota doesn’t allow them to do that because the resource can’t handle it. I do not doubt what you are saying but that is where we are at. Montana broke the bank and they better do something to fix it. Resident and nonresident caps sounds great. Especially the nonresident.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back