Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

Got a FWP call yesterday while at lunch.

I had to laugh since I used an e-tag for my pronghorn b tag.

"Did you hunt antelope this year?" yes
"Did you harvest a pronghorn?" yes
"How many days did you hunt?" one
"Your district was xxx, did you hunt in this district?" yes
"You had an antelope b tag, did you harvest a doe or a buck?" I harvested a doe

"Thank you for your time". OK
I got a call about my deer b tag as well. Seems dumb they didn't ask about my buck tag, but whatever.

I got a call about my deer b tag as well. Seems dumb they didn't ask about my buck tag, but whatever.
Either a) Montana Tradition, or b) because then it wouldn't be a truly random sample. A person would fills an A tag is probably more like to fill the B tag as well, and vice versa. Think 80/20 rule. Those would be my guesses.

WGF did the same for me this year. Wanted to know about my elk tags and never asked about my deer or pronghorn. I asked to complete the surveys regardless and they said no, I have to be selected…..

What are you doing with a B tag anyway? This reminds me. I have to call FWP back and tell them I didn't see any wolves. mtmuley
Burning 8 useless points.

Also they said they weren't asking NRs about wolf or grizzly sightings.

Filled it with a rifle that's been in the family for 100+ years.

56031.jpeg

Burning 8 useless points.

Also they said they weren't asking NRs about wolf or grizzly sightings.
I chucked a B tag in the trash myself. Joking about the wolf thing. You know the deal. But now I know I am Buzz approved to kill a doe. I have the family weapon. Everything is OK. mtmuley

Last edited:
I chucked a B tag in the trash myself. Joking about the wolf thing. You know the deal. But now I know I am Buzz approved to kill a doe. I have the family weapon. Everything is OK. mtmuley
I may be stupid (or hungover), but isn’t that a whitetail doe?

Does anybody know what the quotas were set to in region 4 after they had to go to LE? I checked FWP website and couldn’t find them.

Well this is new for this year. I believe the deer went to limited entry. I was just curious how many deer hunters will be displaced out of region 4.
Even if they set the quotas high, with the 10% rule, most of the NR will be moving to regions 6 and 7.

Got the numbers for region 4
IMG_4155.pngIMG_4156.jpeg
Per the harvest stats nobody hunted deer in region 4 in 2022. But deer were harvested. I assume car collisions. Must have been a Covid year.
2021 not a complete clear picture but look at the hunters we have displaced even with high quotas IMG_4157.png
LE here we come.

IMG_4158.png
2019 region 4 numbers. I won’t speak for region 6 but I can say with 100% confidence region 7 is not prepared to take on those hunters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back