Caribou Gear

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

I answered this above. You have to change a deeply entrenched culture and there is no will to do it.
Correct, and also lets not let the average MT hunter off the hook either, they're also pretty well entrenched in having "brown its down" for 11 weeks.

Plus, the recent move-in type hunters think hunting in Montana is just great right now, mainly because they don't know any better and haven't hunted in Montana long enough to have anything for comparison.

Correct, and also lets not let the average MT hunter off the hook either, they're also pretty well entrenched in having "brown its down" for 11 weeks.

Plus, the recent move-in type hunters think hunting in Montana is just great right now, mainly because they don't know any better and haven't hunted in Montana long enough to have anything for comparison.
Absolutely, and I was directly referring to the general hunting public in that comment.

The pushback would be huge relative to the uproar choose your weapon discussions created. Macro management and 11 weeks of opportunity is like crack, pretty hard to wean off of.

Not to this level, FWP is in handcuffs now more than ever.
Unfortunately most hunters in Montana (and even on this forum) just mark the ballot R or D, depending on their particular tribal affiliation, likely forgetting or even never realizing the contentious public access and ensuing legal issue between GG and FWP. If you don't think there are lingering ramifications, then your blindness emphasizes my point.

Who was in charge in 2012 after back to back bad winters and dismal numbers? Nothing was done for several years because fwp isn’t into “knee jerk reactions”. This mismanagement has been going on for a very long time. Regardless who is governor.
Yeah, it’s certainly not all GG. But, anyone expecting marked and drastic change to benefit the public land hunter right now is slightly delusional.

Yeah, it’s certainly not all GG. But, anyone expecting marked and drastic change to benefit the public land hunter right now is slightly delusional.
Exactly why politics should be taken out of wildlife management. It’s simple follow the science.

Well this should make me unpopular, but here goes. I guess my personal experience over the last 15 years in parts of the state where I spend time is the exact opposite from most of you. I rarely see whitetails anymore. It’s notable when I do see one. Places I could go reliably find a whitetail 15 years ago are now nothing but mule deer. I look at some of the survey data, and it jives with what I’m seeing on the ground while I’m out and about throughout the year- more mule deer, in more places. Interestingly, it also jives with count data being collected in adjacent states. What does that mean? I don’t know, other than the idea that mule deer populations are in a downturn state-wide doesn't make sense to me. I feel like there’s more to it than that.
I would say it is much more common for areas to see a decline in mule deer and an increase in whitetails. Whitetails typically out compete mule deer. I can think of one particular area in eastern MT that matches what you have observed though. My guess of why there seems to be increasing mule deer and decreasing whitetails is because the area has been affected by EHD and blue tongue pretty regularly in the past 10 years or so. Whitetails are much more susceptible to those diseases than mule deer. I can remember when I first started hunting in the early 2000's we had a ton of whitetails, and I can't remember ever having big die off years. It seems like anymore we have die offs about every other year. I think the decrease in whitetails has allowed the mule deer to thrive. It is also an area that is predominately private land (mainly farm ground) so it's not as much of a destination area for hunters and the mule deer don't get slaughtered as bad as other areas that have a lot of public ground.

It's not difficult. Upper level FWP management has sent a clear message. Either lie and tell the public how great things are with Montana hunting or you're fired. Self preservation if you want a job, that simple.

Oh, and be sure to take that advanced course FWP offers in bullshitting everyone, even yourself.
This absolutely has to be the case because the mule deer population in central and eastern montana isn’t a fraction of what it was when I started hunting Montana 25 ish years ago . It’s a joke . Very very sad really

No, they don’t.
Why do you feel this way? Why do you think whitetail occupy the better habitat? They are definitely more aggressive from what I have witnessed. My grandpa used to throw corn out in his backyard in the winter and I spent hours watching them. The mule deer would always leave when the whitetails showed up and started acting aggressive.

This absolutely has to be the case because the mule deer population in central and eastern montana isn’t a fraction of what it was when I started hunting Montana 25 ish years ago . It’s a joke . Very very sad really
This is a direct result of a deer season that coincides with a very liberal elk season.

Why do you feel this way? Why do you think whitetail occupy the better habitat? They are definitely more aggressive from what I have witnessed. My grandpa used to throw corn out in his backyard in the winter and I spent hours watching them. The mule deer would always leave when the whitetails showed up and started acting aggressive.
Because it’s not true. If it were, mule deer would be gone in the areas of overlap. I live in one and see it all the time.

Mule deer are more susceptible to lead poisoning and major habitat alterations, but the whitetails do not outcompete them.

Who was in charge in 2012 after back to back bad winters and dismal numbers? Nothing was done for several years because fwp isn’t into “knee jerk reactions”. This mismanagement has been going on for a very long time. Regardless who is governor.
Certainly there are/were some old school biologists that needed to go, long before 2012. Where I hunt in NW Montana there was only one very good biologist that worked there since I started hunting. He was promptly reassigned for what I understood was a conflict with senior FWP leadership.

Bad winters don't matter, its the same old thing, if deer populations crash in Western Montana, head east...and vice versa that's what they'll tell you to do.

Right now, things are only getting worse under GG, and he told every voter in Montana what his intentions were and still won the election.

Don't cry on my shoulder, you reap the whirlwind.

Whitetails are much more tolerant of human activity, mule deer much less. Displacement of muleys has much more to do with human activity around that “better” habitat than whitetail presence.

Whitetails are much more tolerant of human activity, mule deer much less. Displacement of muleys has much more to do with human activity around that “better” habitat than whitetail presence.
I respectfully disagree. Around here there are multitudes of mule deer living in town, living in subdivisions, and sleeping under decks. Meanwhile 5 miles away in the foothills they are absent where they used to be thick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back