Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

Question, what do you guys say during these meetings when confronted with such mis-truths? Are you calling these people out in public? Just taking notes? Trying to follow up with them later? What are other people in the room saying?

According to ours they pick an area to fly and then do an average for region 7. So if private land up by Jordan Montana is knocking it out of the park so is the Custer southeast of Ekalaka
If they do the same as R6, they have several areas that are observed each time, usually one or two in each HD that was, at least at one time, a fair description of the habitat and land ownership to see how the herd was doing and then compared over the long term average with that specific survey.

Question, what do you guys say during these meetings when confronted with such mis-truths? Are you calling these people out in public? Just taking notes? Trying to follow up with them later? What are other people in the room saying?
Honestly turning very red and angry and leaving. I know one of the bio’s decently. I may call him to discuss. He was spot on with his elk recommendations in our area. He got ignored of course.

But seriously when good questions are asked you just get told that you need to tighten up the boots to see the older age class critters or that you are missing the deer(regarding counts). They are out there. Back to @SAJ-99 comment, you would need data to argue with them. I think your own data set honestly.

I’ve been told region 7 is a big area and I don’t know what I’m talking about. If I’m not seeing what I want I need to move on to the next area or try to gain private land access.

Nothing to see here. “Better than the Henry’s”. Is everything as rosy as the counts suggest? I rarely set foot in Region 6.
Not at all. I’ve said many times I think our mule deer management is a joke. I was just putting out the data that R6 compiles, at least out of the Glasgow office. I don’t believe R7 even puts together a PDF like that.

Not at all. I’ve said many times I think our mule deer management is a joke. I was just putting out the data that R6 compiles, at least out of the Glasgow office. I don’t believe R7 even puts together a PDF like that.
Gotcha. So what gives? Poor methodology leading to garbage data? Looking at the data, I arrive at the conclusion that things are fine. I bet I would see the same thing in the R7 data but when I go to the field…fugly.

I’ve been told region 7 is a big area and I don’t know what I’m talking about. If I’m not seeing what I want I need to move on to the next area or try to gain private land access.
Honestly turning very red and angry and leaving. I know one of the bio’s decently. I may call him to discuss. He was spot on with his elk recommendations in our area. He got ignored of course.

But seriously when good questions are asked you just get told that you need to tighten up the boots to see the older age class critters or that you are missing the deer(regarding counts). They are out there. Back to @SAJ-99 comment, you would need data to argue with them. I think your own data set honestly.
I would encourage people to come prepared with some amount of data and don't bend over when you're told you don't know shit. Come back with pointed questions. Ask about the assurance intervals, long term data trends, ask about the quality of the data collection methods. Hell, ask how long they've been doing this and what they could do better. I may not make friends at our meetings, but they damn sure don't walk away thinking I'm supporting their BS. I refuse to abide by Lamb's suggestion to be nice. I'm not nice when they made stupid remarks.

It's not good enough to just complain on the internet.

Gotcha. So what gives? Poor methodology leading to garbage data? Looking at the data, I arrive at the conclusion that things are fine. I bet I would see the same thing in the R7 data but when I go to the field…fugly.
The first thing that pops out on that data is the classification of a mature buck. Under their classification it is anything that Is a 4 point or better. So basically >2 years old.

I do think that up here we are about average for total population with some areas getting hit harder over the last 5 years.

Do you know I think it’s funny that Randy based his whole platform off of the idea that everyone should be able to go harvest animals on public land. That I echo this sentiment, but it seems now this platform is to talk about the degradation of public lands and not the potential for successes any longer. I think it’s funny that if I carry out this argument too long or with too much conviction y’all might sick the man on me 😂😂

Do you know I think it’s funny that Randy based his whole platform off of the idea that everyone should be able to go harvest animals on public land. That I echo this sentiment, but it seems now this platform is to talk about the degradation of public lands and not the potential for successes any longer. I think it’s funny that if I carry out this argument too long or with too much conviction y’all might sick the man on me 😂😂
Just show us mature bucks from R3.

Have you given it any thought that maybe you are really new to this and others have vastly more experience? I’m not specifically referencing public land with my mule deer concerns however the issues are much worse on public. I hunted region 3 a bunch 20 years ago. It sucked back than. I’m sure it’s worse now.

Your a puppy hanging with a bunch of old dogs. It’s kind of cute😂

No one is talking about taking away your opportunity to hunt. There are concerns for a species and what is happening to them specifically on public land which you enjoy hunting.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back