Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Montana Mountain Goat- at wits end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question, are you overweight or elderly or something?

You draw a tag that is SUPER hard to get and your too cheap to line up a few horses or pack goats or mules to get you back in there somewhere?
From where I sit it appears that you think that you should be able to just drive up to a goat and shoot it from your 4-wheeler.

Makes me a bit disgusted that I am competing against guys like you for tags. I mean come on man, shanking your tent and throwing a temper tantrum to the world like a baby?

Bro, my wife packed a hind quarter of my elk a mile straight up a hill for me in September and hardly complained and it sure as hell wasn't on an ATV trail.....I am pretty sure you can handle a little nature hike on a hard road.

Hunting is supposed to be hard. You are supposed to earn it.

Dang I’d have given you $50 to take the tent off your hands and save it a knifing!

With the season still open all you can do is try. I can’t imagine how depressed I’d be if I just let a hard to draw tag expire while I sat it out intentionally. I’ve talked myself into more than a few times sleeping at home vs in the woods; I’ve regretted it most times as I’m not always fond of dodging critters on the morning drive and the thought of someone beating me to my spot

You draw a tag that is SUPER hard to get and your too cheap to line up a few horses or pack goats or mules to get you back in there somewhere?
From where I sit it appears that you think that you should be able to just drive up to a goat and shoot it from your 4-wheeler.

Makes me a bit disgusted that I am competing against guys like you for tags. I mean come on man, shanking your tent and throwing a temper tantrum to the world like a baby?

Bro, my wife packed a hind quarter of my elk a mile straight up a hill for me in September and hardly complained and it sure as hell wasn't on an ATV trail.....I am pretty sure you can handle a little nature hike on a hard road.

I remember reading somewhere that 10% of people that draw a tag in any unit will never even step foot in it. Stories like this sure do kinda piss a guy off as you wait for a opportunity that may never come

I tried backcountry camping at an alpine lake that had the trailhead start near the road closure but got weathered out. I’m also beginning to despise backpack camping to the point that I lost my temper at the end and started burning bridges by purposefully destroying my tent and now selling all my backcountry stuff. I’m getting burned out and making peace with tag soup. I may try one more time just as a mega day hike.
On the bright side, the hunting gods must still tolerate me as I bagged a nice antelope on a weekend I didn’t goat hunt.

IMO I’d rather travel light and hike 15-20 miles in a day and get some rest and comfort versus haul all that stuff in on my back and live so minimalistic and uncomfortable. I never enjoyed it, but used to suffer it, and now have vowed and am making good on my promise to myself to never to do it again. Attached is my proof- my Hilleberg tent that I took my knife to (much more slashing came shortly after) and later threw in the garbage. Not my proudest moment but I woke up miserable and had enough. View attachment 296454
What causes the misery? Uncomfortable sleeping? What pad are you using? Are you a side sleeper? Do you get cold? Concerned about grizzlies? I think if you’re miserable backpacking constantly then your gear is wrong for you or your Mia-utilizing it. I love back packing. I sleep better than in my bed. However I just got back from helping on a goat hunt south of where you’re hunting and my sleeping pad popped. 6 days on the ground every night, that did suck a little and I was ready to come out because of it but that’s how important a good sleeping pad is for example.

Edit: also if your pack is 60 pounds, how many days you going for? 15? My pack for 6 days was 44 pounds and that included 2quarts of water and my gun. Pack weight is really important as well.

Last edited:
Ok, that is sadly funny.
I know where he is coming from. I always wanted to have a melt down and break every club in my golf bag and throw them in the water after completely melting down and screwing a good round on a par 3 with a water hazard. I never did but man I bet it would have felt good. I don’t golf anymore

I know where he is coming from. I always wanted to have a melt down and break every club in my golf bag and throw them in the water after completely melting down and screwing a good round on a par 3 with a water hazard. I never did but man I bet it would have felt good. I don’t golf anymore
Relatable.

I'd offer to take him to kill a goat, but I just got back from wasting a week away from my family to help a friend with their 20+ point elk tag where on 3 occasions they refused to put in any amount of effort to kill a 360"+ bull. And by refuse to put in effort I mean refuse to walk 3/4 mile and 400ft down into a basin, for example. Or when the bull was just over 500 yards away with 30 minutes of shooting light left, refuse to get closer and started walking back to the vehicle because they didn't want to walk after dark. So I'm done with taking people hunting for a while.

I'd offer to take him to kill a goat, but I just got back from wasting a week away from my family to help a friend with their 20+ point elk tag where on 3 occasions they refused to put in any amount of effort to kill a 360"+ bull. And by refuse to put in effort I mean refuse to walk 3/4 mile and 400ft down into a basin, for example. Or when the bull was just over 500 yards away with 30 minutes of shooting light left, refuse to get closer and started walking back to the vehicle because they didn't want to walk after dark. So I'm done with taking people hunting for a while.
Some people’s kids..

Harsh.

He applied for the tag with the expectation of access. Probably would never have applied for it if he knew he'd have to be hiking in 10 miles and unable to bring heavier gear. He's putting in a pretty good effort, from where I sit.

Outfitters are expensive. I can't afford one. So I apply for tags that I've researched and know are within my physical abilities to have a reasonable chance of success. I am not overweight or elderly, but I have back and joint problems and also never sleep well in a backpacking setup. If I can haul in a cot or a better sleeping pad, it makes an immense difference.

Unexpectedly losing your only access point into a unit sucks royally.

I hope you're able to afford someone who can put in a drop camp for you @Marshian , at the very least. That's probably what I would do if I were in your position.

Holy lazy bastage…there I said it for you

I imagine a drop camp would be $1500 - $2500. That is far less than the expense to get to Alaska to attempt a goat hunt there.

Also have y'all hunted Alaska? It's going to be harder than hunting the Absaroka's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back